University of Minnesota
Driven to Discover

Jobs,

As a college student, you figure you kind of have to work a lot to tie a few loose ends, if not all loose ends... In my college career thus far, I have held up to 5 jobs at the same time, and to top it off, be a full time student with decent grades...crazy isn't it? I know, tuition rates going up, and the economy going down, takes a toll on all college students no matter where you are. But now as my senior year is progressing...I'm down to just 2 jobs....amazing huh? Just how the world works. Sometimes even I am amazed at the outcomes of many things...well I guess you could say at all things all the time.

I guess what I'm trying to say too is, no matter how many jobs we have in our college career at the same time, towards the end of it, it will probably dwindle down just because you are so focused on completing everything and actually looking for a "real world job" which not too many people find right away. But from talking to people who have graduated already, have no fear, because you never really know who is watching you. And I have to say for myself, I am scared of what is to come, but I am prepared for it as well, as prepared for it as I will ever be.

Honestly, even with taking classes and going to career services and getting all the help and experience I can, it really does fall right back to Y-O-U! Because it is up to you to take the first step and to trust that you have made the right decision. I met someone the other day who probably gave me the best advice ever about applying to jobs, it never hurts to apply to something you don't exactly qualify for because what employers are seeking, is authenticity. And also from what I have learned and heard over and over again, it is the people you know who will help you or know the contacts of possible positions you can apply for, not your excess level of skills with no network, but your decent amount of skill and network.

Since we are on the topic as well, networking events are always fun to go to and the best things you can do for yourself! Why you ask me, because you get to meet people, people who can mentor you, people who maybe looking to hire, anyone really. The most important thing though, is to bring your resume! Any networking event you go to, I have learned, being your résumé, a notepad and a pen! It really makes you stand out when you hand over your résumé, and take their information if they have no business cards because most likely, you're the only one with a resume --making people remember you intentionally. And having your résumé, just makes you look good and prepared for anything. You never know, you might just get a call back about a job opportunity. Good luck!

College of Education & Human Development
cehd@umn.edu | 612-626-9252 | 104 Burton Hall, 178 Pillsbury Dr SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455

© 2009 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved.
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.