Wrapping up the seat time for explorers but yet so much to do! Whew. Learned a great deal from the IT team and my fellow explorers. Feel like this has been great overview of what technologies currently exist (and hope that they are around awhile) and to mull over how to implement different pieces into several courses. Maybe not all right away, but as I teach in the fall that new methods of delivery will come to mind now that I know they exist. Thanks to Dean Quam, Dave and the IT team to making this learning experience happen and allowing us to move forward in delivering exciting and engaging courses!

The weeklong encounter was a great experience in learning and sharing. I look forward to trying out new applications and making teaching and learning more effective and engaging. Thanks again for all the oppotunites.

What a week this has been! As our Explore Trek week comes to a close, I don't know where to begin my reflection. Perhaps where I started the week would be best...I came into the week anxious about technology and unsure about what tools existed besides powerpoint and you tube. However, I leave with a whole new outlook; I am truly transformed. I am excited by the endless possibilities for incorporating technology into my class, energized by all of the amazing people I met, and enthuised for implementing my project this fall! I absolutely cannot wait to see where this week leads!

Thank you everyone for making this week such a great experience on so many levels! As the lone graduate student Treker I was uneasy about how I would fit in. Immediately, I was embraced by all of you, and it meant so much! The tools I've learned about and the relationships made are something I will never forget. Thank you all!

The Grand Finale!

I just posted a message about today under the wrong category:( I tried to cut and paste it here, but that did not work. So, please see "The Grand Finale!" under integration for my final thoughts.

THANKS to all for a meaningful experience!!

What a week!

This has been quite a week of learning so many great new technologies to implement in my courses. I am still amazed by all the creative and exciting ideas that all of my fellow trek explorers are planning to implement. I am thrilled that we will be able to continue this supportive learning opportunityeach month throughout the next year. I look forward to learning along with and from this cohort this year! Go trek explorers!

away we go!

Off we go... This was a great week to find ways to implement new technologies into teaching. At times it did feel like a boot camp, but without the yelling and 5am wake up calls. The #1 takeaway that I will keep from this week is the IT Fellows and how to use them to take ideas and make them actual.

Wow!

Dave:

This has been a terrific experience. I am now armed with a smideon of tech knowledge, know where to seek resources and eager to begin. Listening to each person's presentation even gave me more ideas--now I need to play with them and take the plunge.

The Grand Finale!

Today, we heard all the MANY ideas generated from the week that will be IMPLEMENTED in the weeks/months to come ... very cool stuff! Now, I'll be the first to admit that sitting through 17 mini-presentations was not the coolest thing I've ever done, but WOW ... what great ideas my peers have! I had heard many of them during the course of the week, but there were new ideas mentioned as well. In particular, I loved Rayla's idea of bringing Target Field into her classroom in a virtual 3-D way and Steve's idea of using a flip phone at conferences to interview folks (scholars in the field) and then use those interviews in the classroom. Good stuff!

As this will be my final entry for this blog, I definitely wish to thank Dave for ALL the work he and the IT Fellows put into making this week possible. In addition, it was GREAT having Pat here working alongside me and helping me to think more deeply about how we will put our new learnings into practice in our social studies classes. We've even been inspired to share our learning(s) with our graduate students and will meet with them in early-to-mid July for a three-hour workshop, which will be led by a former social studies colleague.

Just the beginning

This has been such an informative tranning. I recommend it to all teaching faculty.

The Grand Finale!

Day 5 by Lesa

"Gratitude" does not begin to describe how I feel for the oppotunity to become a better user of technology. Thank you for the personal care and the confidence you have given me during this week. My only question now is who is bringing lunch next week???

I learned a great deal this week and I have much to practice and incorporate for my course this fall. I learned much from the IT fellows but also from the participants in the course. I put notes by each of the participants names so that I might e-mail them when I had questions about something that either they have already done in their courses or something they were going to try as a result of their participation in this course/workshop.

I thought the presentations were going to be boring but I found them rather informative. I look forward to the additional support from my IT fellow and the learning in the monthly meetings.

Last Day!

Today Tech Training ends. I am in a great place!! I never expected it to be so fruitful. I got on track with a couple of projects early in the week, and today I have two wonderful assignments and a first draft of all of my IRB materials for students' original research project. Moreover, the other 1281 professors seemed interested in using the research assignment. So maybe over 300 undergraduates will exposed to using the CEHD Survey Tool fall semester. Moreover, with Moodle Wiki my students will have the opportunity to consider engaged research as they identify a social issue they care about and create a website addressing it. Great week! I am on my way.

Annnd, today I finally saw how I can use clickers to spice up my class. One more new technology tool I'll will use at least once fall semester. It's a great way to have a more interactive Quiz Bowl. I am diving in!!! Twenty-first Century, here I am.

Thank You

I want to thank David and the entire IT team for their knowledge, time and patience over the past five days and the months ahead. I have gained the knowledge and "courage" to update my classes in a manner that I think will be positive for my students.

I look forward to the upcoming months to complete the objectives I have set for myself. I also want to thank everyone who participated in the"Trek". It has been great meeting other faculty and exchanging ideas with them.

Thanks!

This week has been really helpful and informative. I've just really appreciated the time to reflect on my courses and try some new things. I think I have a good plan of action, and now know many people I can call on for help.
Thanks again :)

Thank you for the boost

This has been a great week for me. I think that being introduced to technology has helped me see how I can shrink my field and enlarge my instructional reach by including experts in my field into class conversations. It also helped me to shrink the size and "spread out" nature of the college. A side benefit of this week has been for me to meet many different colleagues in the college. As a new faculty member this was wonderful!

I was worried about the whole week time commitment for this week, but it turned out to be more than well worth the time. I feel so lucky to have so many experts in the room to show us new all these new tools and support us in using them. Thanks to Dave, the staff and all the IT Fellows! I look forward to working with the rest of the "explore" cohort through the year.

Good to know

I found it very helpful to hear from Cassie that our technology integration is really an "evolution" not a "revolution". It was also helpful to learn that each step of our integration, even a change from using web vista to a moddle site is a huge step forward. The student panel was also very informative today and started me thinking about video conferencing using the umn.connect tool during my students' student teaching experience. The video conference would allow all of us to "chat" using cameras, audio and or text during the spring semester during student teaching. I would really like to try this in the future.

Thanks!

I am very appreciative for the opportunity to participate this week. The IT Fellows have been very patient and clear in their communication to someone who does not have the background knowledge or vocabulary to be fully technologically literate. Thank you, Dave, for being willing to listen to our goals, needs, and suggestions in the formation of the training. Also, I would like to thank the supportive nature of everyone in the cohort. I look forward to sharing successes and challenges with you throughout the year. The cohort model is what we need to apply what we have been learning and planning this week. Everything we have been doing is so applicable to me as I have been working with the TERI project and the changing Board of Teaching Standards. It has been a wonderful week! Thanks!

Completing Day 4....

Interesting to talk about barriers and the interest from the students in the use of technology. The time factor of the learning curve and implementing new ideas is huge. That issue is something that needs to be resolved moving forward. As Christopher mentioned, finding the time beyond this week which we have "dedicated" to learning is going to be a struggle. Need to examine new policies and support coming from above regarding workload if that will be the expectation.

I can't decide which is better or the best.. collaborating with all the Trekers, Exploring with the Techies, the food or the opportunity to focus on technology for a week!. The opportunities afforded in the sessions as well as outside of the sessions with collegues is terrifc. How will I ever have time to plan for retirement when there is so much to do? Cassie's info was very comforting and helpful and having access to all of the tech staff is great. Keeping the momentum going through monthly gatherings will be highly motivating.

photo.jpg

photo.jpg, originally uploaded by davidernst.

Sent from my phone.

thought of the day

Today's session was so nicely summed up by Cassie. This is an evolution, not a revolution. A gradual integration of new tools into teaching will likely create new learning opportunities for students. There are a million tools to use, but a slow insertion of tools into existing curriculum seems like a realistic way to go.

I'm in the process of integrating the two presentations today. One by a panel of students providing their experiences with how their professors' incorporation of technologies into courses. The other, with a faculty member, encouraging us to incorporate technologies while acknowledging our own concerns and level of expertise as well as the external barriers.

Basically these presenters are in syn about integrating technology -- at least for me -- today.

I'll decide on the purpose, will continue to get help from IT, and make small changes.

Yes!! Its Media Mill and Video Ant!!!