Recently in Implementation Category

What a week this has been! As our Explore Trek week comes to a close, I don't know where to begin my reflection. Perhaps where I started the week would be best...I came into the week anxious about technology and unsure about what tools existed besides powerpoint and you tube. However, I leave with a whole new outlook; I am truly transformed. I am excited by the endless possibilities for incorporating technology into my class, energized by all of the amazing people I met, and enthuised for implementing my project this fall! I absolutely cannot wait to see where this week leads!

Thank you everyone for making this week such a great experience on so many levels! As the lone graduate student Treker I was uneasy about how I would fit in. Immediately, I was embraced by all of you, and it meant so much! The tools I've learned about and the relationships made are something I will never forget. Thank you all!

The Grand Finale!

I just posted a message about today under the wrong category:( I tried to cut and paste it here, but that did not work. So, please see "The Grand Finale!" under integration for my final thoughts.

THANKS to all for a meaningful experience!!

What a week!

This has been quite a week of learning so many great new technologies to implement in my courses. I am still amazed by all the creative and exciting ideas that all of my fellow trek explorers are planning to implement. I am thrilled that we will be able to continue this supportive learning opportunityeach month throughout the next year. I look forward to learning along with and from this cohort this year! Go trek explorers!

The Grand Finale!

Today, we heard all the MANY ideas generated from the week that will be IMPLEMENTED in the weeks/months to come ... very cool stuff! Now, I'll be the first to admit that sitting through 17 mini-presentations was not the coolest thing I've ever done, but WOW ... what great ideas my peers have! I had heard many of them during the course of the week, but there were new ideas mentioned as well. In particular, I loved Rayla's idea of bringing Target Field into her classroom in a virtual 3-D way and Steve's idea of using a flip phone at conferences to interview folks (scholars in the field) and then use those interviews in the classroom. Good stuff!

As this will be my final entry for this blog, I definitely wish to thank Dave for ALL the work he and the IT Fellows put into making this week possible. In addition, it was GREAT having Pat here working alongside me and helping me to think more deeply about how we will put our new learnings into practice in our social studies classes. We've even been inspired to share our learning(s) with our graduate students and will meet with them in early-to-mid July for a three-hour workshop, which will be led by a former social studies colleague.

Day 5 by Lesa

"Gratitude" does not begin to describe how I feel for the oppotunity to become a better user of technology. Thank you for the personal care and the confidence you have given me during this week. My only question now is who is bringing lunch next week???

I learned a great deal this week and I have much to practice and incorporate for my course this fall. I learned much from the IT fellows but also from the participants in the course. I put notes by each of the participants names so that I might e-mail them when I had questions about something that either they have already done in their courses or something they were going to try as a result of their participation in this course/workshop.

I thought the presentations were going to be boring but I found them rather informative. I look forward to the additional support from my IT fellow and the learning in the monthly meetings.

Last Day!

Today Tech Training ends. I am in a great place!! I never expected it to be so fruitful. I got on track with a couple of projects early in the week, and today I have two wonderful assignments and a first draft of all of my IRB materials for students' original research project. Moreover, the other 1281 professors seemed interested in using the research assignment. So maybe over 300 undergraduates will exposed to using the CEHD Survey Tool fall semester. Moreover, with Moodle Wiki my students will have the opportunity to consider engaged research as they identify a social issue they care about and create a website addressing it. Great week! I am on my way.

Annnd, today I finally saw how I can use clickers to spice up my class. One more new technology tool I'll will use at least once fall semester. It's a great way to have a more interactive Quiz Bowl. I am diving in!!! Twenty-first Century, here I am.

Thank You

I want to thank David and the entire IT team for their knowledge, time and patience over the past five days and the months ahead. I have gained the knowledge and "courage" to update my classes in a manner that I think will be positive for my students.

I look forward to the upcoming months to complete the objectives I have set for myself. I also want to thank everyone who participated in the"Trek". It has been great meeting other faculty and exchanging ideas with them.

Thanks!

This week has been really helpful and informative. I've just really appreciated the time to reflect on my courses and try some new things. I think I have a good plan of action, and now know many people I can call on for help.
Thanks again :)

I was worried about the whole week time commitment for this week, but it turned out to be more than well worth the time. I feel so lucky to have so many experts in the room to show us new all these new tools and support us in using them. Thanks to Dave, the staff and all the IT Fellows! I look forward to working with the rest of the "explore" cohort through the year.

Thanks!

I am very appreciative for the opportunity to participate this week. The IT Fellows have been very patient and clear in their communication to someone who does not have the background knowledge or vocabulary to be fully technologically literate. Thank you, Dave, for being willing to listen to our goals, needs, and suggestions in the formation of the training. Also, I would like to thank the supportive nature of everyone in the cohort. I look forward to sharing successes and challenges with you throughout the year. The cohort model is what we need to apply what we have been learning and planning this week. Everything we have been doing is so applicable to me as I have been working with the TERI project and the changing Board of Teaching Standards. It has been a wonderful week! Thanks!

Day 2-Kuddos

My IT Fellow is awesome. Even though I thought I had a good outline for my research project yesterday, today I have the makings of a real, interesting assignment that has grown in ways I didn't initially think about but really love. This includes a suggested timeline, more deadlines, and explicit roles that will be needed to successfully carry parts of the project (liasion, programmer, data collector, analyst, report writer, and editor). Each role includes specific task, and each student's grade will also include their ability to effectively carry out their role. Hooray, technology! I am extending my webvista site to include this project and drawing on the college online survey tool.