Recently in Inspiration Category

7 Principles

Michelle Everson found this website that has some great ideas about improving courses with a focus on the Seven Principles of Good Practice.

http://www.tltgroup.org/Seven/Library_TOC.htm

Let me know what you think!

I am inspired by the enthusiasm and the willingness to share, adivse and support plans for imprved approaches to toaching and learning. The tech staff and participants have so many great ideas. The challenges in implementing so many good ideas really seems to rest on time and resources.. while we see the ideal and the yet to be created instrucitoanl plans, it seems almost overwhleming .. but I am inspired.

Inspired

Treks Explore Day One has inspired me in many ways. I am coming away with so many exciting ideas, yet still focused on learning and integrating tools for video assessment for CI 5925, one of my student teaching seminars.I see the excellent opportunties for students to self-assess and peer assess student teaching videos using Media Mill and Video Ant. I also see the relevance of this project as it relates to the common assessment that is being developed for all the initial licensure programs.
One of the challenges I face is determining the details for the student teaching videos. Currently, students are required to video tape 3 sequential lessons, ideally 3 days in a row. Students are then asked to share 10 minutes with the cohort for peer feedback.In addition students provide me with their student teaching DVDs, which I review and provide written feedback. I'm not sure how to structure the video assignment that will now involve self and peer feedback, as well as instructor feedback using Video Ant. I look forward to learning more tomorrow!

As I sat through each minute of Day One of Explore Trek, I began to breathe a bit more slowly and deeply. I entered the day with a lot of anxiety around technology--most likely due to the many times I have frozen and "crashed" computers and had my you tube links imbedded in PowerPoint not open in front of the entire class. Though I am one of those "20-somethings" who should know something about technology, clearly I struggle....(perhaps this makes me even more anxious--I am expected to know a thing or two and I know little). This struggle has turned into me feeling overwhelmed at times; though it has also pushed me to come here today and enhance my abilities!

As I sat through today not only did my anxiety lessen and my breathing steady, but I began moving from feeling overwhelmed to opportuned (not sure if this is a real word, but the best description I can come up with). First, I realized I am not the only one struggling with how to navigate the waters of technology--there are many others like me! This is inspiring to me--I am not alone! Second, I realized that there is such a range of technology. I've always felt that I needed to do something grand (i.e., create some website or long video) for it to be technological, but simply posting a video can count, too! Third (and I think this part that makes me most excited), I realized how relevant technology is for my classroom. My philosophy is that learning must be active, and technology provides an additional and excellent platform for this to occur!

For instance, just on Day One I see myself perhaps creating a critical thinking model where students can integrate course concepts in my history and philosophy of sport class with relevant current events. I also envision possibly creating an interactive sport history timeline with streamlined video (and possibly a discussion platform). I also see that VideoANT could be helpful for student, peer, and instructor feedback on group presentations, which are a component of the class. Needless to say, just based on Day One I see many opportunities for integrating technology into my classroom. I am excited for the week to learn many more, as well as meet many more of you inspirational Trekers--both of which move me from feeling overwhelmed to opportuned!

Add your name and a picture to the UThink system by following along with this screencast.

Danes comments

The critical thinking source I talked about is "The Miniature Guide to Critical Thinking: Concepts and Tools: by Dr. Richard Paul and Dr. Linda Elder for The Foundation for Critical Thinking, www.criticalthinking.org. It was about $4.95 from the publisher with about $2 postage/shipping.

I thought that we would have an opportunity to select particular technology to learn about that would be tailored to our particular needs during the week's time of the workshop. I now am wrapping my head around the different way that the workshop is organized. Exposure to a number of different types of technology I believe will help me acheive my goal for the workshop but in a different way than I originally thought. Hearing about different ways people have used technology for various purposes is good. I am pleased that people are willing to share their ideas/successes with the rest of us.

Progress

Today, I was introduced to VideoAnt and Susan Rose. Susan, now my learning partner, and I have a similar idea for using videos to teach our students.

She briefly told me about video Ant. I'm making progress on my idea to improve my teaching.

I came to this workshop because I want our courses in the social studies program to reflect the use of current instructional technologies. I'm looking forward to conversations with my colleague, JB Mayo. It's really a gift to have a full week to work together in thinking about our program!

I came into this TREKS program thinking that I'd be involved with making CI 5745: Engaging Youth with Social Studies Text, a hybrid course. I'm leaving with something very different, and much more inspired. During the course of the day's class, Pat came up with several ideas about how to infuse various technologies into some of our core classes. For example, she suggested that after reading about various authors in class, I might arrange for the class to Skype with them so that we could get to "know" them better. This might include some question/answer time or just viewing a videotaped response from the individual(s).

Another idea that Pat shared had to do with using Video Ant ... something that before today I had never heard of. We could collect videos of students during their student teaching and offer annotated feedback for them to see. The key for me is to be next to a person who immediately (so it seems) comes up with ideas on how to implement practical uses for the technologies that we will use. This kind of enthusiasm will help me overcome my hesitation and help me gain confidence.

All that said, I am SO looking forward to "playing" with some examples for technology during tomorrow's session.

A process

A good day of hearing of the goals and aspirations of others who are grappling with understanding and utilizing technology in creative and relevant ways. I want to stay ahead of the curve and avoid the "so 5 minutes ago" problem of continually moving forward in technology and trying to keep up. As was stated today, many of us don't know what we don't know. Should be interesting....

Today was an interesting day. It isn't often that one has the opportunity to interface with so many IT professionals all at once. In our morning small groups, we had the opportunity to simply explore ideas. It was comforting to know that just about any idea our group had can be enhanced by technology. The frustrating part of the first day was that we didn't really have a sense of how to reach those goals. I am sure that this week will provide us with many more opportunities.

At the end of the day I learned about a new program called Video Ant. This is a program that allows for captioning of video clips. I really liked this idea. In my teaching I really like to use You Tube clips. There are multiple opportunities for using field-based videos to reinforce ideas from class. The captioning function allows for not only enhanced teaching, but enhanced access for students. I am specifically thinking of my international students and students who may have slight hearing impairments. The captions reinforce what is on the video, aiding with comprehension. Perhaps this was not a specific purpose of Video Ant, but I will use it!

Possibilities

There are a number of possibilities to upgrade my courses (3) this fall, as well as feature new technology in the four new courses being developed for BME.

The increased use of Skype and UM Connect will allow me to have experts through the US and Europe to speak to my students on current topics.

In addition, we will save these presentations for future students and students who missed the original classes.

Another issue is continue to bring more practical and interactive content to the courses - the ideas of using video &/or power point to create a student learning experience where their decisions influences what happens next in the exercise.

Additional real life "game playing" can also be created. Using my experiences in Lake Jovita can create a "game" for the new Real Estate Process class being developed.

The use of the ATS link can also help me upgrade the Quiz (Trivia) activity already being used in SMGT 3462.

First day

It was great getting to know everybody and hearing about different experiences. I'm particulary looking forward to see how your opinions and plans will change and develop as we go along, thanks for the great discussions!

"use of laptops"

Language on use of laptops as part of course syllabus

"Laptops: You are encouraged to take notes on your laptop in class and with the instructor conduct legal searches online. However use of your laptop computer in class is not for non class activities such as checking emails or browsing the web. If you choose to use your laptop in class for non class activities you will be asked to leave."

I cover this classroom policy on the first day of class. I have found that by every day having an activity or legal case search that requires the use of one's laptop establishes a culture of appropriateness of use. I lecture very little in class, with most of the class spent in discussion, participation, exercises, etc. The nature of the course just does not lend itself to sneaking very many peeks at emails, texting, etc.

VideoANT

VideoANT seems to have possibilites for using videos for homework and being able to direct students' attention to specific aspects of the relationship between the video and the course objectives. It could also be used to students to reflect on their own clinical experiences or to allow the instructors to offer comments.

Day 1

Wow! I'm feeling like this week will be exactly what I had hoped it would---an opportunity to explore and create new technologies while reflecting on my courses in DirecTrack. I've learned so much already, and am looking forward to collaborating with my colleagues and learning from them.
I'm excited to explore how I can add more experiential learning outside of the classroom, and use technology to connect those experiences to the F2F learning experiences. I think VideoAnt offers some great potential for a course assignment (and some accountability for required videos)

I'm also excited about adding some new life to the DirecTrack site and can't wait to learn more in the next few days.
Thanks so much for this opportunity!

Monday's PowerPoint presentation is available via GoogleDocs. You can view it in your browser or download the PDF.

I'm impressed with the amount of technology support there is at CEHD. I'm looking forward to using some of the support in developing online courses for my MSW classes as well as opportunities for PhD seminars.

Using video sharing

I am excited about the use of video to stimulate teacher candidates self-reflection, peer feedback, and allow for coaching from the instructor on instruction. This will also be something that teacher candidates will need to practice because it will be part of their initial licensure process.

Day One - Harris

Today was a nice day to connect with colleagues in the college and hear what people are doing with technology in their teaching. I'm looking forward to hearing more about how I can use video at multiple sites to teach graduate courses in Marriage and Family Therapy. I'm a bit worried that my heavy admin. responsibilities will make it difficult to keep up with what I'll be learning this week. I'm hoping that a year-long commitment will help me stay current with what I'm learning.