Recently in Integration Category

The Grand Finale!

Today, we heard all the MANY ideas generated from the week that will be IMPLEMENTED in the weeks/months to come ... very cool stuff! Now, I'll be the first to admit that sitting through 17 mini-presentations was not the coolest thing I've ever done, but WOW ... what great ideas my peers have! I had heard many of them during the course of the week, but there were new ideas mentioned as well. In particular, I loved Rayla's idea of bringing Target Field into her classroom in a virtual 3-D way and Steve's idea of using a flip phone at conferences to interview folks (scholars in the field) and then use those interviews in the classroom. Good stuff!

As this will be my final entry for this blog, I definitely wish to thank Dave for ALL the work he and the IT Fellows put into making this week possible. In addition, it was GREAT having Pat here working alongside me and helping me to think more deeply about how we will put our new learnings into practice in our social studies classes. We've even been inspired to share our learning(s) with our graduate students and will meet with them in early-to-mid July for a three-hour workshop, which will be led by a former social studies colleague.

Completing Day 4....

Interesting to talk about barriers and the interest from the students in the use of technology. The time factor of the learning curve and implementing new ideas is huge. That issue is something that needs to be resolved moving forward. As Christopher mentioned, finding the time beyond this week which we have "dedicated" to learning is going to be a struggle. Need to examine new policies and support coming from above regarding workload if that will be the expectation.

thought of the day

Today's session was so nicely summed up by Cassie. This is an evolution, not a revolution. A gradual integration of new tools into teaching will likely create new learning opportunities for students. There are a million tools to use, but a slow insertion of tools into existing curriculum seems like a realistic way to go.

I'm in the process of integrating the two presentations today. One by a panel of students providing their experiences with how their professors' incorporation of technologies into courses. The other, with a faculty member, encouraging us to incorporate technologies while acknowledging our own concerns and level of expertise as well as the external barriers.

Basically these presenters are in syn about integrating technology -- at least for me -- today.

I'll decide on the purpose, will continue to get help from IT, and make small changes.

Yes!! Its Media Mill and Video Ant!!!

I absolutely loved Cassie Scharber's "Honoring and Hurdling Barriers to Technology Integration" presentation today! She was very entertaining and informative, as well as a great model of how to incorporate technology into a presentation. At the start of the presentation Cassie had us list the barriers we face when it comes to integrating technology. My list grew fairly long, and included things like time, fear of the unknown, lack of knowledge about technology tools and "correct" uses for them in my class, etc. As I sat looking at my list, I realized that most of my barriers were internal and not external or pedagological. I found this so interesting--I am the one holding myself back! It's my internal struggle with technology that has been my issue all along! This is something I was aware of on the first day; I even discussed my anxiety with technology in my first day blog. However, I didn't realize the extent to which I maintained internal barriers--thanks for opening my eyes, Cassie! Now that I have pinpointed where my major barriers lie (in me!), I am excited to implement Cassie's strategies, as well as the many techniques I've learned throughout this week (many of them that I've discussed with all of you), to jump the internal hurdles I face! I can't wait to see the outcome of the "race"!

Day 4 by Lesa

I need another week. Today I found out and want to learn more about videoconferencing, UMconnect, and Voice Share. It was great to hear from the students about potentially using too much technology. No worries there!

Integration

Scaling up and scaling down: Yesterday I went big intoxicated by all the possibilities of various technologies. Since then I have gone back to the basics of thinking about good pedagogy first and technology second. I end the week with two good projects to integrate in my course fall semester that use technology to help students use the tools of social scientists to create knowledge.

Integration

Today's student panel had its moments ... though fleeting. Of greatest interest for me was the idea of moving to grading papers on-line. I will certainly try this for various assignments in the semesters to come. Also interesting was the idea that students want their professors to be comfortable with whatever technology they use. For me this means, "Don't try too much too fast, J.B.!" I also heard loudly and clearly that students want some separation from us on Twitter and Facebook. Don't assume that they want to use these Web 2.0 tools in a classroom space.

The BEST part of the day was Cassie's presentation on the barriers to technology integration AND how to overcome (some) of them. In particular, I appreciate her message that technology evokes emotional responses from people and that this is normal. I'm not the FREAK I thought I was!! At any rate, her presentation helps my confidence and offered strategies to overcome some of the anxiety I may feel now and in the future.

All is Good

Cassie Scharber gave an awesome presentation about the hurdling the barriers to tech integration. Her enthusiasm is contagious!

Students point of view

I thought today's most important information was provided by the student panel that was here. Many of us have gotten excited about bringing additional technology into our classroom - the students have may brought to reality.

One of their key points was to make sure the instructor is experienced and comfortable with the technology being used. Technology, for the sake of using technology, will be a failure.

They expressed that on line small group discussions were effective and useful. This is one area that I wanted to bring to my SMGT class. So I am very hopeful on this being successful.

The panel also expressed that they really thought that having access to their grades online was important. I have not done this in the past, but I will do this starting this Fall semester when I convert from Webvista to Moodle.

A plan emerges

The student panel was very helpful this a.m. I think that more than anything, they reminded me of the importance of streamlining course information. With that in mind, I am looking forward to enhancing my use of Moodle as a platform from which links to many other applications can be made.
The time exploring and reflecting on new (for me ) technologies this week has been so helpful! I have some ideas for enhancing aspects of my courses with technology without losing the overall learning objectives of the course.

Completing Day 4....

It was very informative to have the student panel. It opened my eyes to some things and it confirmed some other things for me. It was good to have some diversity in what the students were studying in their majors so we received a cross-section of how students view technology in the classroom. It is always good to hear from the group that we are targeting.

I had a chance to get into Moodle and start to set up a bit of structure for the class website after the intro I had yesterday. It gave me some confidence that I can work with this course management system. Now I just need time to complete the class development so that I can upload the details and use the technology.

I'm teaching my first class using Ning in a few hours, which will be a great opportunity to "integrate" what I've been learning this week. I'm looking forward to seeing how all that we've been talking about this week will work this afternoon!

The food has been great! Thanks.

Today was helpful to have the students come in and talk about their experiences with technology. I keep getting the sense that pedagogy needs to be firmly in place before we add technology. This week's conversations have helped to solidify my belief in this regard. I'm looking forward to updating my courses, based on what I believe is sound pedagogy, with technology.

It has also been nice to have my laptop open this entire week long. I've surprised myself at how much I've been able to stay on task while having windows opened and being able to access information about questions I have while the lecture or activity is in progress. In the future, I might be a little less worried about students using laptops given my experience.

I really appreciated hearing from the panel of students of what was helpful to their learning and what they expect from their instructors. They want uses of technology that facilitate efficiency, timely answers to questions, information that can be easily accessed at any time, and visual or video resources (i.e. simulations, demos, videos of lectures). This will really help me as I am planning my syllabi for the fall.

Cart before the horse?

I think that much of what I'm taking out of my time in Treks Explore is that I shouldn't be forcing myself to identify technology and then see how I can use it. I need to be thinking about my teaching needs/outcomes for learning, etc., and then see if there is a technology out there that can meet those needs. In many cases I might have to realize that the technology can be a barrier instead of a facilitator.

When I take this tact I start getting more ideas about what might be nice to include in my course that I haven't thought about doing in the past. Then once the idea is more set, I have learned that there is technology that can meet my needs.

Perhaps the goal of Treks was to introduce us to technology, but what I'm finding is that one of the benefits has been to discuss with colleagues how they are teaching and what they do to engage students, and then together we are all troubleshooting how to use technology in an efficient manner to meet those needs.

Thanks!