Recently in Opportunities Category

Thank you for the boost

This has been a great week for me. I think that being introduced to technology has helped me see how I can shrink my field and enlarge my instructional reach by including experts in my field into class conversations. It also helped me to shrink the size and "spread out" nature of the college. A side benefit of this week has been for me to meet many different colleagues in the college. As a new faculty member this was wonderful!

I can't decide which is better or the best.. collaborating with all the Trekers, Exploring with the Techies, the food or the opportunity to focus on technology for a week!. The opportunities afforded in the sessions as well as outside of the sessions with collegues is terrifc. How will I ever have time to plan for retirement when there is so much to do? Cassie's info was very comforting and helpful and having access to all of the tech staff is great. Keeping the momentum going through monthly gatherings will be highly motivating.

Plan is becoming clearer!

My plan for the fall course is becoming clearer as I gain more information about switching to Moodle, Google Mail, and learning to use Media Mill and Video Ant. I am especially interested in ideas on how to deal with limited resources (cameras) for our students.

I really appreciated the individual instruction from Suzanne, and gave me some great ideas on how to better integrate social networking into my upcoming class. I have a much better idea on how to do this now, and really got a lot from seeing the examples.

The title of the day "opportunities" reflects my thoughts about the day. I sign up for the workshop primarily to learn what opportunities there were for the class that I would be teaching for the first time this fall. I wanted to learn more about Moodle. I got a feel for it today and know that Patrick Cheek, our tech person will be there to help guide me more specifically at a later time. I have gained much from discussion with others in the class, hearing answers to their questions, hearing about their experiences. So, although, I won't have my class website set up by the end of the week like I had originally planned, i am getting all kinds of ideas/pitfalls to watch etc. for the integration of teaching and technology.

Perhaps it is a good thing that the work of the workshop will continue over the process of the next year. Incorporating these technologies takes a long time and time and energy. I certainly will not be able to incorporate all my ideas by the fall teaching because I am still working on the restructuring of the class. I think that it will be good for me to do that plus develop a class website. It appears to me that these technology ideas take time and they will gradually have to be introduced into the course as I have time to develop them. So I have learned about many opportunities today that will take more time and energy to incorporate. However, i am also learning about resources that I might consult to do so.

I thought the demonstrations and lecture/discussion today were fantastic. I will definitely be using videoANT in my classes. I learned a lot about Moodle and as a result will switch over from WebVista earlier than expected. Great information!

One step at a time

I seem to have more ideas today after exploring technologies in small groups today. I have revised my initial thoughts regarding student teaching video annotation and assessment. I realized that I need to take baby steps in order to meet my short and long term objectives. It was helpful to talk with Deb Peterson and learn about the protocol for sharing student teaching videos with peers that she already has in place. Such a protocol form could help me meet my objective for the peer assessment, using a 10 minute student teaching video clip. I learned today about the process for uploading a video to media mill and video ant. I have yet to learn about integrating video ant for peer and self annotation. It is easy to get excited and overwhelmed so I need to remind myself to take one step at a time.

Endless opportunities!

Day Two of Explore Trek has helped me see there are endless opportunities for integrating technology into my KIN3131: History and Philosophy course this fall. Given this is the first time I will teach the course and it's not my emphasis in KIN, I still need to sift through the content to know exactly HOW I will connect technoloy.

Despite lacking the specifics, I still see creating a historical sport timeline (I am hoping it can be complete with video examples, text, and photos) as a study tool, using VideoAnt (which also means using Media Mill for video storage) for students to use critical thinking to apply course concepts to video clips (likely modern clips in order to enhance connection of the past and abstract concepts with relevant events surrounding my students today). I also envision switching course management platforms--moving from WebVista to Moodle--this fall. Moodle will provide my students with the opportunity to engage in out-of-class discussions and/or blogging (I have yet to decide which) about class topics. I still need to work out the structure of using these tools, but I think this will come as I understand the content in more depth and learn more specifics about the tools.

The aforementioned technology-KIN3131 class connections are just a few of the opportunities I saw today! I leave with a mind reeling with endless ideas, as well as an enormous excitement to put the ideas into practice soon!

Two of the main questions I had coming to Treks were answered (for the most part) today, First, I realize the advantages of using UM Connect compared to Skype for my guest speakers. UM Connect allows my guest speakers to also show content and computer screens in addition to their face to face presentation with the students. However, the most important aspect is that the presentation can be saved and saved in Moodle. This is a great service for the students in regards to making up assignments and going back to check facts.

In my first year at the U, I used Web Vista for my classroom management. The process of switching to "moodle" did create some "angst" within me. Working with the Trek staff today eliminated most if not all the angst. Although both systems have pros and cons, the moodle system does provide some definite benefits to the students in managing the class.

I hope I have time in the next three days to get more information on "Archiving & Accessing Digital Media" and "Interacting with Wiki".

Tuesday

An exciting day! Loved the presentation on Web 2.0 tools. Possibilities abound.

Day 2 by Lesa

I am overwhelmed at all of the possibilities that I can include in my courses. Excited too! I also think that I have an obligation to include technology in my courses. How will I ever keep up with all of the new stuff?

How will you all keep up with the number of people you are training? Seems like a lot of work.

Visiting the various "stations" this morning was great. I was unable to circulate to them all however. And actually, may not have wanted too as it would be a little too much info overload. Needed to process and cultivate ideas of use in between. Maybe revisit it another day if time allows.
Good info presented and ideas being generated.
On to day three....

Day 2

My wheels are spinning even faster today than yesterday. I thought the day was excellent. I learned some things I definitely want to try, and crossed a few off my list. I spent a lot of time with Angela learning about Google apps and all of the capabilities and possibilities for my course. I feel there are a few things that will make my life immediately easier, and others that will require some time and attention but will be worth it in the long term.
Thanks for another great day!

Here is the link to the student's response to Gov. Tim Pawlenty's appearence on the Daily Show.