Interactivity

There was an idea that emerged during the Madison conference that I am still carrying with me as I begin planning both the hybrid course and the on line course. I attended two presentations where the focus was on interactivity. In both presentations, the three types of interaction were presented and discussed. These include learner--content, learner--instructor, and learner--learner interaction. The surprising insight from the research is that more is not necessarily better. What the research found is that if you do anyone well, you can obtain similar learning outcomes even without either of the other two.

This challenged my own opinion about the value of learner--learner interaction and learner--instructor interaction. It also raises possibilities about the design of online courses. If I can design a course that supports high learner--content interaction, this will support learning outcomes as well as if the other interactions are included.

I still am trying to figure out what they mean by learning outcomes as this could change my own perspective again. At the conference they talked about learning outcomes as being measured through end of the course exams. I wonder if similar learning outcomes will result when the course is based on practice development and mastery rather than knowledge mastery?