Follow me to Valencia?

CALL FOR ABSTRACTS

DEADLINE SUBMISSION: 25th November 2010

Dear colleague,

We invite you to submit your abstracts and participate in the 5th International Technology, Education and Development Conference, INTED2011, that will be held in Valencia (SPAIN) on the 7th, 8th and 9th of March 2011.

It will be an international forum to present and share your experiences in the fields of Education, Technology and Development.

The attendance of more than 500 delegates from more than 60 countries is expected, being an annual meeting point for lecturers, researchers, academics, educational scientists and technologists from all cultures and continents.

You can present your contributions in two modalities:

In person: oral and poster presentations.
Virtually: if you can not attend in person.
INTED2011 Abstracts CD and Proceedings CD, both with ISBN, will be produced with all accepted abstracts and papers.

We look forward to seeing you in Valencia!

Yours sincerely,
INTED2011 Organising Committee
inted2011@iated.org

Copyright (C) 2006-2011 IATED
All rights reserved

Important notes...

Dates:
7th-9th March 2011

Venue:
Valencia, SPAIN

On-line abstract submission available here!

Deadlines
Abstract submission:
25th November 2010

Acceptance notification:
16th December 2010

Final Paper submission:
26th January 2011

For more information:
www.inted2011.org

Last Edition Videos:
Click here to watch Inted2010 videos and testimonials

Moving forward in Moodle

As I indicated on our last day, I am trying to implement as much as I can in my first-year course this semester so that i do not forget how to do things between now and when I can carve out some time to work on my spring hybrid grad course. My first goal was to switch from WebVista to Moodle, and I am pleased to report that I have achieved this goal, and for once I was showing my new GTA how to do some things rather than vice versa. In Madison I had spent the first afternoon in a 3-hour workshop in a computer lab on the UW campus learning about Moodle and SoftChalk. Although it did not take long for me to realize that SoftChalk is out of my budget range (and is not supported by the U), the intro to SoftChalk still provided some insights for organizing the course Moodle site. I have not as yet included everything on the site that I might with more time, but at least I am providing these first-year students with an opportunity to learn how to use Moodle.

Post-trekking

I've been furiously trying to get my class together for the fall semester, but many, many, many interruptions! Still, I'm thinking differently about many things - both the potential offered through technology and some of the challenges as well.

I was very sorry to miss the last day of the week, and particularly to have missed the student panel and the presentations by each of the trekkers. I learned so much over the course of the week and am looking forward to integrating my learning in my teaching.

Many thanks to Dave, Michelle, Caroline, all the IT-Fellows, and Dean Quam and everyone else who made the experience possible. Great job in organizing a fantastic and pragmatic learning experience. My thanks as well to my fellow trekkers and I'm eager for our next time together.

http://mediamill.cla.umn.edu/mediamill2/html5/78553

Check it out. Using cell phones and other digital devices for clicker technology in our classes.

Hope you are all having a good week!
Orkideh

end of the week

I have rarely if ever participated in a week long, really two week long program, such as this one that was presented with as much care in planning and instruction, materials available.I have been exposed to a lot more than I can use right away but that is not a problem. There are a lot of tools I know a little about now that I can play with, and encourage students to play with,in order to enhance learning experiences. Thanks to David and all the presenters and IT fellows for the skill and assistance this week.

Yay! We Passed!

Thanks to everyone for making this an excellent opportunity for learning. There is nothing like getting a group of teachers together to share teaching ideas and seeing the products!

I look forward to working with you in the future.

Thanks also to Dean Quam, Dave, Caroline, Michelle, the IT Fellows, and Serena for making this bootcamp so successful!

Student Panel

I really appreciated the panel this morning. I am still debating what aspects of PsTL 5106 will occur in the face-to-face classroom and what will be addressed online and how. To be really honest, after listening to the students today I am glad that my mission is to develop a hybrid course rather than a completely online course. Although from the conference and our conversations I have many ideas re; creating a social presence, I still want that face-to-face interaction at times.

Moving forward

Moving forward

Originally uploaded by davidernst

Friday

TGIF yet I am so sorry this extraordinary experience will be over in a few hours. I have learned so much and can't wait to try out these new opportunities one or two steps at a time, but I want all the Tech Fellows for my very own to sit at my side everyday. But alas--all good things must come to an end and now I shall take some risks--knowing there is support behind me. Thanks everyone!

Having fun

I had a lot of fun yesterday, plugging away on some small bits of my future course, including: creating an avatar of myself on Voki (Thanks to Anna for the reference) and creating a prezi on my background as an instructor. Both of those elements are now embedded in my moodle course, and they look great! It is good to get small tasks done and that feeds my sense of making progress, but it also makes me realize how much work there is to do. Luckily, my course will not go live until next Spring.

If you want to see my avatar, come ask me. She has an Indian accent!!

wish I could see . . .

all of the things you will be presenting today. I'm not going to be joining you today, but I wish that I could be there to see all of the wonderful things that you are doing. I have been so inspired over the course of the week hearing about the many creative ways you all engage your students in your teaching. I'm excited to about the possibilities ahead.

A huge thank you to Dave, Michelle and Caroline, and to all of the IT Fellows, Yelena, Pete, and everyone else who were on hand to help all week long. I don't who summonded Donovan for me to upload some things on my computer at a very opportune time. I was not even finished putting my message in the Coconut when he was at my elbow to get me fixed up and back on the road. So thanks to Donovan too!

Sorry to not be there for your live presentations, but Dave tells me they will be recorded so I hope to see them. Sorry as well not to make the Kitty Kat Klub, but always up for a raincheck!

Inspired

It's so great to read the many wonderful blog entries here and to see how so many of you feel empowered and excited by the many things you can do with your courses. This has inspired me so much as well, and I too have learned a lot this week. I'm glad we now have this community within CEHD to continue to learn from and collaborate with. I can't wait to see your presentations tomorrow and to see what you do from this point forward! Thanks again for the drinks tonight. That was fun. :)

Thank you!

I am so sorry to have missed the fun at the Kitty Kat Klub this afternoon. I have been interviewing candidates for a graduate teaching assistant and have felt empowered by my new awareness of (if not proficiency with) instructional technologies. Despite having a ton of work to do before the semester begins, I feel like I can handle it.

Thank you to everyone who has made this experience possible! I am looking forward to our ongoing interactions through the coming year.

Jeanne

Conceal to reveal

Conceal to reveal

Originally uploaded by Linda Buturian

Kitty Kat Day

The day started with anticipation of Kitty Kat. The discussion on Web 2.0 and UMConnect challenged my assumptions about the use of technology and the difficulties that students face when interacting with a new technology or keeping up with the technology resources that they rely on. I need to focus on "what will be engaging" . . . if I build it [engaging] they will come. The negotiation of what do I have that the student wants continues. It is not information it is processes and critical thinking. What are the questions? How can this be built upon. Much food for thought. I don't want to be the "enforcer". I want to be the "engager".
Looking forward to tomorrow.

Thursday's Thoughts

What a week, my brain is FULL! I loved experiencing Connect today and plan to use it for class sessions in the spring, but more immediately, for virtual office hours this semester.

I also appreciated having the hands-on help from the IT fellows regarding how to use different options that Moodle has to offer and how to embed VideoAnt files. I can see so many applications for the technology. I think the key now will be to practice, practice, practice!

Tani

spontaneous communicative prattle

I have learned a lot today, and I have enjoyed learning more about other Trekkers' ideas for their work. I can't wait to see the presentations tomorrow.

Remember, if you have a Facebook account, you should join the "Wikipedia is Not an Academic Source" group!

It has been a great day. I again appreciate the input on tech resources as well as the time to collaborate and work on our projects. All of the new resources are well worth the time it takes to explore them. There is so much to learn... but then at least some of the names and procedures are starting to ring a bell now. I can't believe how long designing this course is going to take to do it the way I had envisioned. I feel excited and empowered. Many thanks to Dave, Caroline, and Michelle. You are great!

Lori

Appreciative

I am so appreciative of the opportunities provided this week. I am convinced that the only way to "step in" is through immersion- and I am definately immersed. I appreciate the amount of tools and options and the many incredible minds who have developed the software. I appreciate the group of people around me who are so willing to engage in using the options. I appreciate the opportunity for professional development - and all the snacks :)
Thanks to Dave and the IT Fellows - I am looking forward to working with you more this coming year.

narrowing and focusing

Today's presentation on web 2.0 stimulated reflection about the possibilities for acquiring information quickly and how our key role is in assisting students to make informed choices, evaluate information, think critically. We and they can so easily be dazzled by the speed of information acquired and the flash of the presentation that we lose or ignore evaluation. Some students developed web sites in my course last year that ranged in quality; in fact they helped me to refine my rubric. At one end I had several that were like Fibber McGee's Closet.Now that analogy will be meaningless to most of our students but might be telling for my peer group in this class. That is, they diligently assembled a variety of sources, information on a topic such as adoption, without any navigation or evaluation of the sources. Indeed many of the national sources they accessed were also at this level, where there was a grab bag available with no assessment of the quality or guidance. At the high end were more selective sites that were focused, had a clear perspective, evaluated the sources selected and demonstrated critical thinking. In addition to web sites, two students created a dvd with the combination of interviews of experts with a flash camera and a powerpoint review of the literature with voice overs (I will show it tomorrow). I want to use these top two projects as models for student work; I want to develop rubrics that help describe how to evaluate them. I want to then also make available links to students to guide them to the technology to create products such as these and others. Hyo Jin's presentation on umconnect was also helpful; some other uses I had not thought of.

Here We Are

green.jpg

The three muses

The three muses

Originally uploaded by Linda Buturian

Beauty and truth, take 2

Originally uploaded by Linda Buturian

Thoughts on blogging

I was really engaged yesterday and got a lot accomplished, but when I left I had to chase from one thing to the next, and late last night I turned to my husband and said, "I forgot to blog today." Then, instead of logging on, I slid into the bathtub, which is where I choose to engage in my deepest reflection. I began thinking of all the professional women I have been close to over the years and how many of them have found joy in journaling and other ways to reflect by writing. But that isn't me. This is not the first time I have stopped to think about this, but last night in the bathtub my reflections had a different context. If I am not into writing as a form of reflection (and I enjoy writing--I spend much of my day writing), what about my students? In online courses, not only personal reflection, but also "discussion" can be limited to written forms of communication. So after this reflection I have a new appreciation for the many technologies I have learned about over the past 2 weeks, and I can tie this back to Chickering & Gamson's 7 Principles as well. It will be important to me as I design my hybrid course to think about multimodal forms (or choices) for reflection as well as for discussion, so that I remain respectful to students' different ways of knowing.

Hump Day

I think I am over the hump :). In the past several days I have been overwhelmed, excited, frightened, motivated......I am sure you know the emotions. I just wanted to gather all the knowledge and the options from each of the tools presented and USE THEM IMMEDIATELY in EVERY CLASS.
I am over that hump and back to trying to formulate a plan that meets the objectives of the course and is manageable for someone with my skill set. I am back to moodle, media mill and (if I stretch) class capture. Still not bad for a couple weeks learning.