narrowing and focusing

Today's presentation on web 2.0 stimulated reflection about the possibilities for acquiring information quickly and how our key role is in assisting students to make informed choices, evaluate information, think critically. We and they can so easily be dazzled by the speed of information acquired and the flash of the presentation that we lose or ignore evaluation. Some students developed web sites in my course last year that ranged in quality; in fact they helped me to refine my rubric. At one end I had several that were like Fibber McGee's Closet.Now that analogy will be meaningless to most of our students but might be telling for my peer group in this class. That is, they diligently assembled a variety of sources, information on a topic such as adoption, without any navigation or evaluation of the sources. Indeed many of the national sources they accessed were also at this level, where there was a grab bag available with no assessment of the quality or guidance. At the high end were more selective sites that were focused, had a clear perspective, evaluated the sources selected and demonstrated critical thinking. In addition to web sites, two students created a dvd with the combination of interviews of experts with a flash camera and a powerpoint review of the literature with voice overs (I will show it tomorrow). I want to use these top two projects as models for student work; I want to develop rubrics that help describe how to evaluate them. I want to then also make available links to students to guide them to the technology to create products such as these and others. Hyo Jin's presentation on umconnect was also helpful; some other uses I had not thought of.