Thoughts on blogging

I was really engaged yesterday and got a lot accomplished, but when I left I had to chase from one thing to the next, and late last night I turned to my husband and said, "I forgot to blog today." Then, instead of logging on, I slid into the bathtub, which is where I choose to engage in my deepest reflection. I began thinking of all the professional women I have been close to over the years and how many of them have found joy in journaling and other ways to reflect by writing. But that isn't me. This is not the first time I have stopped to think about this, but last night in the bathtub my reflections had a different context. If I am not into writing as a form of reflection (and I enjoy writing--I spend much of my day writing), what about my students? In online courses, not only personal reflection, but also "discussion" can be limited to written forms of communication. So after this reflection I have a new appreciation for the many technologies I have learned about over the past 2 weeks, and I can tie this back to Chickering & Gamson's 7 Principles as well. It will be important to me as I design my hybrid course to think about multimodal forms (or choices) for reflection as well as for discussion, so that I remain respectful to students' different ways of knowing.