Reaction to "Nickel and DImed"

As I read the introduction of "Nickel and Dimed" I was thinking to myself, "Yeah, I've heard this before." There have been several examples of writers and fair wage advocates doing "experiments" like this, and the verdict is always that it is much harder to survive on minimum wage than they imagined. I have to give the author of this piece a lot of credit for the way she conveyed her experiences in written form. Instead of concentrating on the details of her finances (and she freely admits how she "cheated" by giving herself an optimal head start), she actually focuses on the various people she meets through her experiences and how it felt to begin to become one of them. Throughout the introduction she explains how she prepared herself to go without many luxuries and to work in boring, thankless jobs. What she obviously didn't prepare herself for was the emotional toll that working so hard just to maybe break even would take. This is best illustrated through the final episode at the diner when she finally quits and walks out. Even though I wanted to fault her for quiting and ending her venture prematurely, the truth is she really could leave any time she wanted and upon leaving didn't feel elated or releaved but just the sense of failure and disappointment in herself, showing that somewhere along the way she actually began to function at the level of those whose world she wanted to observe as an outsider.

Reaction to "Smells Like Teen Spirit"

Reading "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was interesting for a few reasons. I agreed with the author's argument that the song was successful because it gave a voice to the inarticulable emotions many of its audience were experiencing. I can easily see how the screaming and mumbled lyrics and agressive instrumentation express the frustration and angst of young adults. The worst (or possibly best if it was intentional, but I don't think so) part of the essay, however, was the style of writing. In reading it there seemed to be a quote or citation in every other sentence. It completely ruined the flow of the paper and made it harder to read. What's more, most of the quoted material did little to further the argument the author was trying to make. Most of it was 'yeah, duh' information, opinion, or quotes of one or two words which provided little extra information to make up for the interruption in the flow of the paper. The author would have been better off to just come up with his own words to get the idea across. In some cases I even wonder if the citing was necessary. Surely the source author doesn't have a complete monopoly on that one word. At any rate, after the discussion of the Batman piece, I could see how this paper sort of mumbled through the details even though the message is perfectly clear is a parallel to the song being so inarticulate that it expresses the emotions very clearly. But, I think more likely it was just an inexperienced writer.

Reaction to "Smells Like Teen Spirit"

Response to "Society's Need for a Queer Solution"

This was an interesting paper. I found myself agreeing and then disagreeing, back and forth as I read it. I certainly agree with the authors stance that all people deserve the same degree of respect, freedom from ridicule and stereotyping. I have several gay friends who are all wonderful people and have so many more interesting/distinctive traits that should be the things that define them as opposed to their sexual orientation. However, I couldn't help feeling like Mehta began to stretch for examples to illustrate her argument as she got toward the end of the discussion, particularly of Will & Grace. I say this as no particular fan of the show. I've always felt that the Jack character was over-the-top and that they were getting way too much mileage out of Will and Grace as buddy/competitors. I guess what I am saying is that although the author critisized the show for being too mocking of homosexuality and alternative gender roles, she really didn't offer any other solutions. It seems to me that no matter what a character says or does, she will find a way to say that that too was unrealistic or unfair depiction.

"Diet Coke's Underwear Strategy" -RR

The two authors definitely use different approaches in these works. Gray's style is analytical while Walker's writing here is critical. By critical I don't necessarily mean negative, but that he is doing a critique of the ad. In this case it seems to be not entirely positive. I haven't seen the ad that he is writing about, but I would have to agree with the way he questions the comparison of old underwear to Diet Coke. He seems to find the idea of old underwear as nostalgic and comforting a bit creepy. I don't find the comparison troubling, but to me it's just arbitrary. Even if you buy into the notion of positive associations with worn-out undies, there is a bit of a stretch I think from there to the "comfort" of a Diet Coke. The two are so different and unrelated. Maybe it's just me because I didn't grow up drinking Coke, diet or otherwise. My interpretation is that the intended audience for the ad is actually existing, longtime Coke drinkers. You would have to drink a lot of Coke over a long period to have a relationship with it that was anything like comparable to underwear.