« "Diet Coke's Underwear Strategy" -RR | Main | Reaction to "Smells Like Teen Spirit" »

Response to "Society's Need for a Queer Solution"

This was an interesting paper. I found myself agreeing and then disagreeing, back and forth as I read it. I certainly agree with the authors stance that all people deserve the same degree of respect, freedom from ridicule and stereotyping. I have several gay friends who are all wonderful people and have so many more interesting/distinctive traits that should be the things that define them as opposed to their sexual orientation. However, I couldn't help feeling like Mehta began to stretch for examples to illustrate her argument as she got toward the end of the discussion, particularly of Will & Grace. I say this as no particular fan of the show. I've always felt that the Jack character was over-the-top and that they were getting way too much mileage out of Will and Grace as buddy/competitors. I guess what I am saying is that although the author critisized the show for being too mocking of homosexuality and alternative gender roles, she really didn't offer any other solutions. It seems to me that no matter what a character says or does, she will find a way to say that that too was unrealistic or unfair depiction.