myU OneStop

CFANS Communications Blog

Recently in Communications Category

Sharing Wufoo Reports

I've found that there are many times when I want to share the information that we have gathered with at least one other person or more. Sometimes with events I will share the information with someone who is working on coordinating different parts of the event. It's great to share survey results with a group of people who may be interested in the same information.

If you use Wufoo forms for gathering this information, here's some instructions on how to share your reports: http://z.umn.edu/wufooreports.

Photo Permissions: When are they needed?

When should you obtain written permission from people you photograph?

If a person or their property is easily identifiable in a photo or video, it is a "best practice" to have their written permission to use the image for promotional purposes.

With that said, the circumstances of taking the photos play a key role. For instance, taking a staff member's photo for their profile page on the web probably doesn't warrant a written permission because they understand why their photo is being taken. If you're at an event, and it is clear...i.e. someone has said...___ is here to take photos to promote this program"...then you're also probably on safe ground without a written permission---although this is a would be hard to prove later.
I think there's also a difference in how you use the images. If you're simply documenting online that an event occurred and here's what it looked like, then I don't think a written permission is as critical. If you then use that photo later to promote the program or CFANS in general, then I'd get a signed permission because you've taken their photo out of context and used it for another purpose.

Here's a form (.doc) you can use to obtain written permission.

Hello World!

This space is intended as a helpful place for people involved and interested in communications within the University of Minnesota College of Food, Agricultural and Natural Resource Sciences. The goal is to improve the quality and quantity of our communication. Ask questions, add information or describe a different point of view. Thanks for reading!

University of Minnesota