R.J. McGinnis

• Commented on Presentations 12/10
    David, I would agree that it seems as though that the presentations improved as the course progressed. I think this may be typical because those who present later in the course have an opportunity to see what is working and...
  • Commented on Presentations - December 10, 2009
    Parker, I also enjoyed hearing about the YMCA. When you mentioned it was nice to hear about a different baseball team than the Twins, I felt the same way about the YMCA. I think the YMCA is often overlooked in...
  • Posted Presentations December 12 to Organization and Management of Sport
    Presentations today were very helpful to hear. I actually enjoyed when the two students who presented on the Minnesota Twins went one after the other. Typically, I think it is looked down upon when two students present the same thing...
  • Posted Presentations December 8 to Organization and Management of Sport
    The presentations for today were very interesting. One that stuck out to me was the sport organization analysis of the Pittsburgh Pirates. The material was presented well and the presentation had a good flow to it. I enjoyed hearing the...
  • Commented on 12/1/09 Presentations
    Christopher, I would agree with you. I enjoyed hearing about the Brainerd Lakes Area Lunkers as well. You are right in saying that we have typically heard about some of the bigger sport organizations that are involved with the NFL,...
  • Commented on Presentations
    I would also agree that many of the presentations are read straight from the slides. I think that it may be beneficial to students if professors gave a limit to how many words could be used on a slide so...
  • Posted Presentations December 3 to Organization and Management of Sport
    The presentations today were fairly strong. The one that suck out the most to me was the Lifetime Fitness presentation, but the others were good as well. I liked the Lifetime Fitness presentation mostly because of the statistics that were...
  • Posted Extended depth from Blog # 5 to Organization and Management of Sport
    After taking this course I think it is important to reflect on what my philosophy for a sport organization should be. There are many different things to consider, such as the environment (task and general), the structure of the organization,...
  • Posted Presentations: December 1 to Organization and Management of Sport
    The presentations today were very interesting to hear about and were helpful in learning more about different sport organizations. I enjoyed hearing more about the Under Armour organization and how their owner was willing to decrease his salary significantly to...
  • Posted Communication, Values/Morals, and Culture and Their Importance in a Philosophy to Organization and Management of Sport
      I think it would be important to note the guest speakers we had in class, with Joel Maturi being highlighted, as my philosphy would be very similar to what they spoke to in their guest presentations. They were very...
  • Posted Organizational Decision Making to Organization and Management of Sport
    Sport managers around the world are faced with many decisions every day. Many times it is the sport managers' and leaders' ability to make these decisions effectively that will positively improve their sport organization. Slack and Parent reference Peter Drucker...
  • Posted Organizational Culture to Organization and Management of Sport
    The culture of a sport organization varies greatly among sport organizations. Some cultures lead to great success and others lead to great failure. Many people have different ways of thinking about organizational culture. Slack and Parent note that there are...
  • Favorited Leadership in Sport Organizations on Organization and Management of Sport
  • Posted Organizational Context and Leadership to Organization and Management of Sport
    Leadership and its relation to the context of the organization are very important to consider in a sport organization. The leadership structure may need to be adjusted to create a better fit for the context that surrounds the sport organization....
  • Posted Organizational Change to Organization and Management of Sport
    Sport organizations go through change all the time. For example, recently businesses have been forced to restructure to accommodate for the recent economic downturn. This has led to members of the organization being laid off in hopes to combine positions...
  • Posted Organizational Conflict to Organization and Management of Sport
    Organizational conflict is very common within all types of organizations. Much of this conflict may be unavoidable considering we are humans that are not perfect. Although conflict is very common, there are ways to avoid unnecessary conflict. The tough part...
  • Posted Power and Politics in an organization to Organization and Management of Sport
    Power is often times abused within sport organizations today. There are many different sources of power and they come from different levels within the organization. On the individual level of power there is reward, referent, legitimate, coercive, and expert power....
  • Posted The path to corporate responsibility (Nike) to Organization and Management of Sport
    To what extent do you believe that Nike depicts the "learning organization"? Nike seems to be learning but not necessarily to an extent that breeds consistent action. They appear to be growing in the sense that their recognition of their...
  • Posted Sport organizations and their environments to Organization and Management of Sport
    The environment around a sport organization is very important when considering the structure of a sport organization. Chapter 8, in the textbook, talks about two different environments that need to be considered when thinking about the environments surrounding sport organization....
  • Posted Organizational Strategy to Organization and Management of Sport
    The strategy of a sport organization is very important and needs to be adjusted in accordance to many different factors. Some of these factors are power, capacity, and actors. All of these play important roles when considering the strategy...
  • Posted Organizational Structure to Organization and Management of Sport
    Organizational structure appears to be a simple task but has a very illusive complexity at the same time. Many organizations are most likely operating through a structure that could be revised to enable them to be more effective as a...
  • Posted Philosophy for an effective sport organization to Organization and Management of Sport
    This is not an easy task after reading Chapter 3 from the course textbook. The definition of an "effective" sport organization will vary among people, which makes it hard to determine whether or not an organization is effective. With this...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from R.J. McGinnis