Emily Oberlander

• Commented on Decision Making
    I really like that Andre talks about personal experiences with his blogs. I do the same thing because we are in similar situations. I understand where he is coming from with his blogs. It is easier to understand the material...
  • Commented on Decision Making
  • Commented on Conflict in Sport Orgs
    Conflict is something that comes up with any organization, but it is up to those that run it to overcome the conflict that potentially threatens the ability to manage the organization effectively. The only potential conflict that I can think...
  • Commented on Culture in Sport Organizations
    I want to talk about Becca's second question. i think that every sports team creates a new culture every single year. I have been a manager for the women's basketball team at the University of Minnesota for 3 years now...
  • Commented on Leadership
    I really like the topic of leadership because I am in the leadership minor and I think of myself and a strong leader and I really enjoyed what Sam had to say about this. I really like her question about...
  • Commented on Blog #5 Revised Philosophy
    I also agree that organizational effectiveness should be mainly measured by the goals that are attained. However, there are other ways to measure the success of an organization. I think that some mission statements are very vague, but are still...
  • Commented on Culture
    I really like how you talk about the gymnastics slogan, "Begin Here. Go Anywhere." I think that that really shows a lot about the culture of the program here at the University of Minnesota. This really does display a certain...
  • Commented on Blog 8
    I really thought the presentation with Joel, Regina, Kathy, and Gary was very interesting. The merger is an amazing thing that has happened in our university. It is such a huge step to take in the athletic department. I agree...
  • Commented on Presentations 12/10
    The presentations towards the end of the semester have been far more informative than those in the beginning because those towards the end, now know what to expect from the people that went earlier. It is easy for them to...
  • Commented on Organizational Strategy
    I agree that it is absolutely necessary for any organization to utilize the actors within their organization. If an organization, or group of people did not have the personnel in place, they might end up making inferior products. This is...
  • Commented on Organizational Structure
    I agree with Jamie as well. The idea of communication is extremely essential to the success of any department or organization. If all people are on the same page with the mission, vision, and goals of an organization, the end...
  • Posted Presentations 12/10/09 to Organization and Management of Sport
    The presentations are consistently getting better.  The presenters are taking the knowledge they have learned from the class and the knowledge they have learned from the first presenters in how to make the best presentation possible.  They have learned that...
  • Posted Tuesday Presentations 12/8/09 to Organization and Management of Sport
    This has been an extremely busy week for me, with four presentations and two papers, so I forgot to post my blog about Tuesday's presentations. I thought the presentations were good, I thought that the presentation about the Pop Warner...
  • Posted BAHAMAS TOURNAMENT! to Organization and Management of Sport
    The past weekend, the Gopher Women's basketball team went on a trip to the Bahamas for a basketball tournament, the Junkanoo Jam. Being a manager, I had the chance to go on the trip as well. This tournament was a...
  • Posted Day 2 Presentations to Organization and Management of Sport
    Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";...
  • Posted Organizational Effectiveness Philosophy NEW ONE to Organization and Management of Sport
    Throughout this course, I believe that my idea of organizational effectiveness has remained fairly constant. I have learned a lot throughout this course, but I still believe a lot of the things that I stated in my first blog about...
  • Posted Organizational Managers to Organization and Management of Sport
    Sports managers are always under pressure from other people and are handed difficult decisions every single day.  These decisions are made in hopes to positively affect the organization.  Sport managers hold this responsibility to make decisions and execute those decisions...
  • Posted Organizational Culture to Organization and Management of Sport
    Organizational culture is something that is hard to define or collect as a group altogether. Culture is something that is not defined, but as a sort of unwritten law of how a group of people interact and display as a...
  • Posted Organizational Leadership to Organization and Management of Sport
    Leadership is extremely important in any organization, especially in the field of sports. The basic approaches to leadership go all the way back to the belief that leaders are born. Leaders are born with certain qualities and possess certain characteristics...
  • Posted Organizational Change to Organization and Management of Sport
    Organizational change in a system must but understood to be effectively performed. Sport organizations in particular are always under constant change. People in organizations are changing and the output of good is always changing, as well as the consumers. With...
  • Posted Organizational Conflict to Organization and Management of Sport
    Conflict is one of the biggest issues with any organization. If conflict occurs, the organization is suspect to failures in some ways because of conflict. When an organization can not deal with a conflict effectively, severe consequences can occur. The...
  • Posted Power and Politics in an Organization to Organization and Management of Sport
    There are many different types and levels of power in an organization. There are individual powers within a hierarchy and there are organizational powers for the group. According to Slack and Parent, there are five different levels of individual power....
  • Posted Sport Organizations and their Environment to Organization and Management of Sport
    There are multiple core aspects that are part of the environment of a sport organization. The core values are economy, socio-cultural, legal, ecological, technological, political, and demographics. Such companies that need to keep these values in mind are sports organizations....
  • Posted Organizational Strategy to Organization and Management of Sport
    There are three core values when thinking about strategy.  Power, Capacity for change, and interest are the core functions.  When thinking about this I am using the example of the Canadian schools being incorporated in the NCAA Division I program. ...
  • Posted Organizational Structures to Organization and Management of Sport
    There are different ways to manage an organization.  There are horizontal organization and vertical organizations.  When I think about vertical organizations, I think about huge sport organizations such as a Division I athletics or the NCAA.  With a vertical organization,...
  • Posted Organizational Effectiveness to Organization and Management of Sport
    Every organization, whether it is sports related or not, needs to have some sort of official goal to be the basis of the organization. There are other goals that are incorporated within an organization to keep the development and effectiveness...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from Emily Oberlander