ottox159

• Commented on Evolved Philosophy about Organizational Effectiveness
    I think that the external environment of an organization has the most influence on the culture of the organization. When I think about what influence organizations like professional sports teams I not only think about the player and owners, but...
  • Commented on Organizations and Their Environments
    If I was a manager of a sports organization I would consider the economic environment sector to be the most important to the success of the organization. I feel this way because the economy has major impacts on even the...
  • Commented on Power and Politics
    I think that you can have power spread throughout an organization as long as it is spread correctly. Such as you wouldn’t want every person in the organization to hold the same power, because then everyone wouldn’t know who to...
  • Commented on Managing Organizational Conflict
    I think that power plays a significant role on organizational conflict because there are always the people that want the power that don’t have the power, and the people that have the power and over use it. The people that...
  • Commented on Change and Resistance
    I believe that when an organization has a tight culture and is resistant to change because they can only see the organization running a certain way with certain people, that bringing in someone from the outside is important. We have...
  • Commented on The Function of Interests, Power and Capacity in Strategic Change
    I think that it would be a good idea to have a leader that inspires the shared vision in a position of authority, but I also think that it would be a good idea to have them on the same...
  • Commented on Organizational Change
    I agree with Becca that it all depends on what you mean by the word “hurt.” When I think about hurt in terms of a sport organization I think about profits dwindling, internal conflict, threats upon the organization’s existence, and...
  • Commented on Environments and Sport Organizations
    If I was a top level manager at Nike my main concern above all others would be technological developments, such as new brands, different product lines, and competitors on general. There are brands out there right now like Under Armour...
  • Commented on Organizational Strategy
    I like how you made up an organization to fit the points that you are trying to convey about power and politics. I agree with the point that you made at the end of your blog about having certain personnel...
  • Commented on Blog 9
    Bryan I agree with your perspective on leadership and too think that as a leader you need to allow the people that you are leading to think freely and do their own thing, while still being responsible for the actions...
  • Posted Dec. 10 to Organization and Management of Sport
    I enjoyed all of today's presentation and thought that they all seemed very well rehearsed and informational. The presentation that I found to be the most interesting was Sam's presentation about the YMCA. I had never been to a YMCA...
  • Posted Day 4 to Organization and Management of Sport
    All of today's presentations were really good and informational. The one that I most enjoyed was the one about Lifetime Fitness. I think that he did a really good outlining the presentation and explaining what the different parts of the...
  • Posted Day three presentations to Organization and Management of Sport
    Overall I thought that today's presentations were very informational. I noticed that a lot of the presenters read from their slides almost word for word, which ended up making their presentations less captivating as than they had potential for. Also...
  • Posted Pop Warner Organization to Organization and Management of Sport
    In this blog I will discuss the Pop Warner Little Scholar's organization, its effectiveness as an organization, and some recommendations that I believe will make the organization more effective. I studied Pop Warner for my organizational analysis paper and I...
  • Posted Day 2 Presentations to Organization and Management of Sport
    The majority of the presentations today were really good and provided a lot of information that I did not know prior to today. Kristen's presentation was my favorite, because she did a really good job presenting her subject and she...
  • Posted Blog #5 Revised Philosophy to Organization and Management of Sport
    There are many concepts that I have learned in this class that that have evolved my perception on not only organizational effectiveness but about the sport industry as a whole.  There are so many different aspects of the sport world...
  • Posted Nutrorim Case Study to Organization and Management of Sport
    1. Keeping decisions open and democratic, asking the opinions of as many different people as possible to get the best approach 2. Many people have tried "Charge Up" and had gastrointestinal problems, these issues with the "Charge Up" drink then...
  • Posted Organizational Decision Making to Organization and Management of Sport
    Chapter 13 defines organizational decision making, the condition in which decisions are made, and then gives details to some decision making models. Slack and Parent defines decision making through Peter Drucker's definition which is, "a decision is a judgment ....
  • Posted Organizational Culture to Organization and Management of Sport
    Culture is an ever changing part of any organization, and because culture is always changing it must be managed in its own way.  Chapter 14 discusses how to manage organizational culture by explaining it and explaining the different ways to...
  • Posted Blog #4 to Organization and Management of Sport
    In this blog I will address how I believe actors, processes, culture, structure, and environment impact leadership within an organization.  Actors such as different people within an organization impact leadership because they influence the type of leadership that is going...
  • Posted Change to Organization and Management of Sport
    Change much like conflict is an ever occurring part of any organization and it must be adjusted to constantly to keep the organization running smoothly and effectively.  Slack and Parent identify four different areas where change can occur within a...
  • Posted Managing Organizational Conflict to Organization and Management of Sport
    The definition of conflict according to March and Simon in our text is "a breakdown in the standard mechanisms of decision making so that an individual or group experiences difficulty in selecting an action alternative" (217).   My own definition of...
  • Posted Power and Politics to Organization and Management of Sport
    Power is described by our textbook as, "the ability to get someone to do something they would not have otherwise done" (p. 199) and politics is described as the ability to use power effectively (p. 205); together they are two...
  • Posted Organizational Environments to Organization and Management of Sport
    There are three environments within an organization according to our textbook; those environments are the general environment, the task environment, and the perceived environment. While all the environments are important and they help the organization to run as a whole,...
  • Posted Case Study Recommendations to Organization and Management of Sport
    Alyssa Otto and Ben Power: The power of the organization should be dispersed equally between the professional staff and the organization's volunteers. The two groups can work together through committees, which will allow them to plan and act together, instead...
  • Posted Organizational Strategy to Organization and Management of Sport
    There are three factors that can influence organizational strategy; these factors are power, capacity for change, and interest. The first factor in influencing organizational strategy is power. The most important thing to know about power is that it is not...
  • Posted NESCAC Case Study to Organization and Management of Sport
    1. The common goals of the NESCAC are to keep the athletic programs in harmony with the academic purpose of the college, that the athletes are representative of the student body, and that "the academic authority in each college was...
  • Posted Dimensions of Organizational Structure to Organization and Management of Sport
    Our textbook states that the three primary dimensions of organizational structure are: complexity, formalization, and centralization; however within these three dimensions there are other aspects that also help to develop organizational structure. Complexity is a primary dimension of organizational structure...
  • Posted Organizational Effectiveness Philosophy to Organization and Management of Sport
    Slack and Parent says that, "organizations were likened to organisms that come in a variety of different forms and rely on their environment in order to survive" (p. 9). Since every organization is different, does that mean that effectiveness means...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from ottox159