Denise Gamble

• Posted Who Are You? to percipio publicus
    In a meeting this morning, a colleague related that the first concept discussed in an Organizational Development workshop was "self awareness." Most of us nodded our heads sagely.
  • Posted Something to percipio publicus
    I just felt I needed to say something. . . . . . . . . . I'm easily amused....
  • Posted Pachyderm TechShop to Emerging Tech Expo
    We had about 25 people in person and 11 people via UMConnect at today's TechExpo. Great energy in the room. I'm excited about trying this technology in Staff Education & Development....
  • Posted It's a show about nothing! to percipio publicus
    Here are your tasks: Tell me. What is it you do, exactly? Write a description for the staff newsletter about the project. Why should I go to that training? Fit that idea into a Twitter post! Find a mate! (like Dilbert, here with a well-crafted message...) This website from Harvard helps you craft your elevator speech. Nifty tool. The...
  • Posted I'm so glad our state capitol isn't "Pigs-Eye" to percipio publicus
    What's in a name? Apparently motivation, interest, application, and all sorts of other good things. How do you "sell" your workshops to internal staff? A lot of it has to do with the name of the training. Is it a dry descriptor (Email Basics), or a snappy eye-catcher (Collaborating with Others using Microsoft Word)? It is not just the title...
  • Posted "Lifehacker for Libraries" - ALA Emerging Tech Blog to Emerging Tech Expo
    Perpetual Beta is a new blog by Jason Griffey and American Library Association (ALA). The blog will "introduce technologies that libraries and librarians should be paying attention to, and at the same time give you tips and tricks to make...
  • Posted What a tangled web we weave... to percipio publicus
    Staff Education & Development (SED), "my" department, has a responsibility to develop Libraries employees in a way that supports the overall strategic direction of the organization.  One problem of maintaining this programming element is, once I back up to the 30,000 foot view of the organization from above, things get complicated. From that height, I can see that everything is...
  • Posted Here's what you liked about the Tech Expo to Emerging Tech Expo
    We asked attendees to tell us what they liked about the Tech Expo, here are some of the responses. For a recap of all the feedback, go to the full Tech Expo evaluation. Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE...
  • Posted "You like me! You really like me!" to percipio publicus
    ...*clutches her Oscar (r)*.... We had the Emerging Tech Expo. We were expecting about 70-100 staff members to show up - we ended up with 180! (If you build it, they will come, indeed!) Here's a link to the TExpo blog: http://blog.lib.umn.edu/emergingtexpoblog/ Check out the short video of the event....
  • Posted And now, for my next trick... to percipio publicus
    My colleague, let's call her "Intrepid Skills Trainer," and I worked on the 2010 workshop schedule yesterday. It will be a busy year. Here is a partial list of what we plan on offering: Windows 7 Project Management - Fundamentals (2 day); Advanced (2 day)(new) Google Apps, gmail, etc. - in concert with Office of Information Technology File Management Thunderbird...
  • Posted Less Expensive Family Gatherings to Thrifty Celebrations
    When budget and/or time is tight I will invite people over for dessert rather than for a meal. I've also had people over and just ask each to bring a snack food. I know celebrations thrive around food. At the...
  • Posted Prize Winners! to Emerging Tech Expo
    There were several great door prize giveaways at the Expo. Here's a list of who won and their prize.Marlo Welshons - 4GB M-Tech Jump Drive Amy Nixon - 4GB M-Tech Jump Drive Linda Watson - 4GB M-Tech Jump Drive Scott...
  • Commented on Failure IS an Option
    Thanks for the link! I haven't read this one. It is a good idea for a participant giveaway at the "How to Fail" workshop....
  • Posted The Silent Treatment to percipio publicus
    (Hey, that's a good band name!) After many sacrifices to the blog gods, I'm now able to take comments on the blog again! [insert the sounds of harps and trumpets here] Please, no pushing. The line forms over there *points* and seems to be moving rather quickly... *waits* Sigh...... *looks at clock* *whittles* *smiles encouragingly at passers by* *pouts* *puts...
  • Posted Help Improve Future Emerging Tech Events to Emerging Tech Expo
    If you attended the Emerging Tech Expo last week, please complete the brief evaluation at  http://tiny.cc/TExpo. Your feedback will help us as we plan future emerging technology events. Thank you!...
  • Posted If you build it...it will require many trips to Home Depot to finish it. to percipio publicus
    ....in today's environment of scarce attention, if something takes a lot of effort to obtain (e.g.**** it has a "high transaction cost"), It is the same as if it didn't exist....
  • Posted That's NOT All, Folks to Emerging Tech Expo
    SED and the IT Council plan to sponsor Emerging Tech Expos in the future. We will need to keep scanning what is out there and either useful or potentially useful to keep in mind for those future events.Some ideas we've...
  • Posted Are "Bette Davis Eyes" a Preexisting Condition? to percipio publicus
    The societal issues and other issues that my mind and heart gnaw on make me consider creating my own personal and anonymous blog for blathering. I find it interesting that rather than thinking of writing in a journal, I would think of using a blog to process my thoughts and possibly even share them and gain input on them. (Hey,...
  • Posted The Virtual World of Second Life in Libraries to Emerging Tech Expo
    Presenter: Denise Gamble, Staff Development & EducationTime: 11:15 am-11:45 amLocation: Andersen 120ADescription:Handouts:Additional Resources:...
  • Posted Step Right Up, Folks! to percipio publicus
    I'm working with a small group on creating an "Emerging Tech Expo" for the UMN Libraries. It is scheduled for November 18th. So many cool things out there to show and talk about. If I could figure out how to enable my comments, I would ask all of you (e.g. all 2 of you? and that includes me), to give...
  • Posted It's Latin for: "Rarely Updated" to percipio publicus
    The blog has been tickling at the back of my brain lately. I keep thinking of things I want to write about, but then I don't do it. There, I've confessed. May I be excused? I'm pretty sure the dog ate my blog entry. I'm also sorry, gentle readers, that I have not yet been able to figure out how...
  • Posted Seth Godin Reads This Blog! to percipio publicus
    Breaking News! I'm a Big Fat Liar! Okay, he doesn't.....YET [insert dramatic music sting here] Besides, Seth Godin probably doesn't read blogs, he hires washed up ruby-sorters to read them for him. (Let me insert a disclaimer that I have no idea what Mr. Godin uses washed up ruby-sorters for...it could be for other tasks altogether.) Sorry...what was I saying?...
  • Posted Failure IS an Option to percipio publicus
    I created a workshop called "How to Fail." I facilitated it last year and the evaluations were positive. Basically, it looks at how failure is a necessary part of learning, creativity, and progress. If you aren't occasionally falling flat on your face, you probably aren't stretching yourself hard enough to experience the many lessons life has to offer. If an...
  • Posted Darwin was late for everything. to percipio publicus
    I am plagued by lateness. It is one of my character flaws, and a difficult one to change. Part of the reason is because I'm not really interested in having "she was on time" as one of the eventual measurements of my success. So I started to wonder...lateness travels hand in hand with procrastination. Is there an evolutionary benefit to...
  • Posted Entries Moved to Private View Only to Spark Submission MTT502 -- "Stolen"
    This blog held a series of poems developed as part of a submission for the Spark conference in 2007. I collaborated with music faculty from Palm Beach Atlantic and he was going to create a series of musical pieces around...
  • Posted Drive-by Decisions on the Rise. Film at 11:00. to percipio publicus
    Over the past few years, I've seen an interest in learning how to make "data-driven" decisions. This means that business and strategic choices get made by looking at actual data so the decisions are based on reality more than assumptions. Something about it has always made me slightly uncomfortable, but I never put my finger on it. Today, talking with...
  • Posted Yankee Doodle to percipio publicus
    Doodle and Doodle
  • Posted John Hancock Is Spinning In His Grave to percipio publicus
    I heard a VP here talk about how the university has over 1700 forms that are still printed out and routed in paper copies. I had two of them when I started here almost 2 years ago and I've narrowed that down to 1. I would like to have that form routed electronically. The sticking point is electronic signatures. One...
  • Posted The Blinking Caveman to percipio publicus
    I'm beginning to see more and more educational SL builds, such as this one coming up at St. Edward's University. This planned build will help students explore the concepts contained within Plato's allegory of the cave. I think that is a fabulous use of the technology....
  • Posted Elvis Has Re-entered the Building to percipio publicus
    Yes. It's me. And I'm not even ashamed of it. I've been feeling the stirring for a while now to come back to the blog. My millions of readers are sure to be excited beyond belief. What's happened in the interim, you ask? *shrugs* I dunno. Stuff....
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from Denise Gamble