nasims

• Posted Crabby about credit to Copyright Librarian
    I begin to understand how completely frustrated pro photographers are by internet image-sharing behaviors. Today's fun: So, okay, I know I've said before that I don't care that much when people use my image. That's absolutely still true. But I do care about publicizing Creative Commons licenses. And I care...
  • Posted It's almost Easter, so it must be time to talk about Daleks again... to Copyright Librarian
    If you've read the saga of the Dalek egg, you know that I made an easter egg that looks like a Dalek (from the TV show Doctor Who) as a gift for a friend a few years back, and posted my photos online with a Creative Commons Attribution license. It...
  • Posted Joys of the Public Domain: Getcher "Lean In" Images Here! to Copyright Librarian
    I'm deeply ambivalent about the whole "Lean In" thing. Much less so about the very cool "Lean In Collection" from Getty Images, which aims to create stock photography that doesn't reinscribe stereotypes. However, you do still have to pay for/license uses of the Getty Images. This morning I was showing...
  • Posted Spring 2014 Copyright Workshops open for signup! to Copyright Librarian
    Upcoming workshop sessions at the University of Minnesota. Non-UMN folks are welcome, but please check in with the instructor first (especially for the online sessions)! Copyright In The Classroom (and Online)Can you show a movie in class? Can you distribute copies of a newspaper article? What are you allowed to...
  • Posted Where copyrights come from (part I) - Copyediting does -not- create a new copyright to Copyright Librarian
    In US law, copyright magically comes into existence when someone creates an original work of authorship. The copyright is actually based in the original expression contained in the work, not whether there was effort involved in the work's creation. So for the specific arrangement of words (+/- images) that make...
  • Posted If takedown notices are what it took for you to -really think- about rights ownership in your publications... to Copyright Librarian
    Last week, Academia.edu started receiving mass takedown notices from Elsevier (an academic publisher) for papers uploaded to the site by their authors. This has come as an offensive surprise to many of the authors who received the notices, and to many other academic authors who heard about the takedown requests....
  • Posted Extremely off-topic: cold-weather bike gear update to Copyright Librarian
    Last year at this time, I did a post on things I'd learned in my first full winter (2011-2012) bike-commuting. If you're interested in giving winter-biking a try, go read that first. However, with a second (and rather colder) winter (2012-2013) under my belt, and heading into a third, here's...
  • Posted Google Books suit dismissed: more affirmation of public interest in copyright to Copyright Librarian
    DISCLOSURE/DISCLAIMER: I worked at the University of Michigan Libraries for several years during the beginning of the book scanning project with Google that is the subject of this lawsuit. The University of Minnesota Libraries, my current employer, is also affiliated with the Google scanning project and HathiTrust Digital Library. This...
  • Posted New: Copyright Workshops from UMN Libraries! to Copyright Librarian
    The University of Minnesota Libraries offer free copyright information workshops to the UMN community. Most are aimed at faculty, but open to participation by others. RCR continuing ed credit is often available. If these scheduled sessions are not convenient or relevant for you, we also offer sessions for research groups...
  • Posted WARNING: Deeply boring to normal people to Copyright Librarian
    ETA: Cross-posted at TechdirtI attended the hearing today in what the presiding judge, Magistrate Judge Franklin Noel, characterized as "several iterations of" AF Holdings LLC v. Doe (case nos. 12-1445 - 12-1449) The cases at hand have all previously settled and been dismissed, but the court determined it has the...
  • Posted Personal Photo Sharing - Things to Think About to Copyright Librarian
    We just had a "managing your personal photos" drop-in session here at the Libraries, and I was tasked to help people think about legal issues. Thought I'd turn my handout into a blog post! If you're in it, you might not own it. (Except for selfies.) Copyright ownership -usually- belongs...
  • Posted Copyright historians: The "Happy Birthday" class action suit and "proving" public domain status to Copyright Librarian
    Earlier this week, some filmmakers filed a class action suit that attempts to establish as fact that the song "Happy Birthday to You" is in the public domain - and has been for many years. The suit is a class action on behalf of everyone who has paid licensing...
  • Posted How To Tell Who "Created" An Image to Copyright Librarian
    Couple weeks ago, I saw a fun little flowchart/joke/cultural critique on Jezebel: "How to Tell If A Toy Is For Boys Or Girls: A Guide". (Image credits are intentionally withheld in the beginning of this post.) Bunch of folks were linking it on Facebook/Twitter/etc. Both the Jezebel post and the...
  • Posted Copyright in Your Personal Life to Copyright Librarian
    This post is based on a talk I gave/conversation I had today at the "Enhancing Quality Staff" symposium. I love this symposium, because I get to wander away from academic copyright issues, and there's always a ton of cool people who want to wander with me! This time, the session...
  • Posted On releasing an image to the wilds... to Copyright Librarian
    (There are no image credits on this post because (much to my slight embarrassment) I made all of these. The eggs are all Creative Commons licensed over on Flickr; click any picture to go there.)I have a long history of making slightly geeky easter eggs for friends and family. I...
  • Posted Wikipedia as an image source to Copyright Librarian
    Wikipedia is increasingly an excellent source of images that are free for all kinds of uses. This recently came up in a discussion about resources for MOOC teaching, but it can also be a great source for a wide variety of projects. If an image is on Wikipedia, it is...
  • Posted On turning down a job to Copyright Librarian
    Fairly recently, I was approached by a graduate professional program to teach a short, for-credit, winter-term course on copyright. I was really excited by the opportunity - I mostly lead one-shot sessions, and I was looking forward to getting into more depth with a group of students. I'd started planning...
  • Posted What is the government's interest in copyright? Not that of the public. to Copyright Librarian
    Like many other geeklaw & policy folks, I was baffled from the get-go by the decisions of federal prosecutors to pursue massive criminal charges against Aaron Swartz for downloading papers from JSTOR. I could understand that his activities constituted problematic behavior, but not the blustering punitive response. If Aaron's wrongful...
  • Posted Negotiation: Getting past some of the barriers we erect for ourselves to Copyright Librarian
    Negotiation can look like this.Adapted from more on 360 BY-NC Esthr/Esther Dyson A lot of people I talk to are kind of reluctant to try to change any terms when they're presented with a contract to sign in their daily lives. It's true that a lot of the contracts...
  • Posted Automatic captions and derivative works to Copyright Librarian
    Today, I was showing a bunch of colleagues how to use YouTube's auto-captioning feature, and letting people do some demo videos. My colleagues recorded videos of themselves reading poetry, or reciting song lyrics - and those videos are probably technically derivative works! But the captions themselves are derivatives of the...
  • Posted Extremely off-topic: cold-weather bike gear to Copyright Librarian
    If you follow me on Twitter, you may have seen me mention my bike, and/or riding bikes, juuuust a few times. I've been bike-commuting in good weather pretty much since I moved to MN a couple years ago, but last winter, due to construction on campus that made buses much...
  • Posted Making Mud to Copyright Librarian
    There is one copyright question I love to discuss with folks here at the University, because it's one where I can give them an actual certain answer, and it's one they want to hear: "Can we watch this movie in my class?"  "Yes!" Ah, the joys of 17 USC §...
  • Posted 2012 Tech Expo coming soon! to Emerging Tech Expo
    2012 Tech Expo - Thursday, November 29 11:00am-2:00pm - Coffman Union 3rd Floor The Emerging Tech Expo has something for everyone! Featuring a combination of technology presentations and exhibits, the Emerging Tech Expo offers all Libraries staff a fun opportunity...
  • Posted Author's Guild v Hathi Trust: A Win for Copyright's Public Interest Purpose to Copyright Librarian
    DISCLOSURE/DISCLAIMER: I worked at the University of Michigan Libraries for several years during the beginning of the book scanning project with Google that preceded this lawsuit. The University of Minnesota Libraries, my current employer, is also affiliated with the HathiTrust. This post represents only my own opinions and thoughts on...
  • Posted Felony Terms of Use Violations? Lessons for all of us to Copyright Librarian
    Recently a new criminal indictment was filed against Aaron Swartz, for his alleged activities downloading large numbers of journal articles. These charges are mostly based on violations of use agreements for JSTOR and the MIT campus network - that is, if the use agreements had been written differently, there might...
  • Posted Fall Copyright Workshops Open! to Copyright Librarian
  • Posted Clearing up a misconception about Open Source Software to Copyright Librarian
    Recycling emails into blog posts, yay! Although I'm not much of a programmer, I'm a big fan of Open Source Software. Freeing source code for tinkering by random interested parties has produced a ton of awesome things I use all the time (Linux! Gimp! Libre Office! Inkscape! Audacity! Freakin' VLC,...
  • Posted Friday Fun: Facts, Expression, and Illustrations to Copyright Librarian
    There's a blank calendar grid on the wall outside my office. It's not there for scheduling.If you can't read it, the text printed at the very bottom of the calendar grid says "Copyright © 1997 Houghton Mifflin Company. All Rights Reserved." The annotations in red marker ("HA HA HA HA...
  • Posted Music, musicians, music fans, ownership, legitimacy... to Copyright Librarian
    (re-posted from previous links-roundup post) There is so much to say about all this, but it's kind of all been said already. Here's a few of the things I've been reading in preparation for talking about it on MPR this morning. MPR's other station, The Current, has some good, concrete coverage...
  • Posted Revolutionaries to Copyright Librarian
    Since we're almost at the holiday that recognizes the U.S. Declaration of Independence, today seems an appropriate time to voice some rebellious thoughts. I often spend time in talks and conversations trying to shift libraryfolk away from a compliance/risk-management mindset, and towards a risk-tolerant/risk-embracing mindset. For example, I often try...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from nasims