Sonja Froyen

• Posted Retreat To Move Forward, Part II to All Things Work
    My notes from the GPS Retreat on January 14, 2013. Knowledge + Practice = Competence Marginalization occurs when the individual cannot change and the culture is not open. Here's the environment in which gangs thrive because no one goes unclaimed...
  • Posted The Backend to All Things Work
    All this is stored in a FileMaker database. Emily can use this interface to oversee, override or edit entries....
  • Posted What the Evaluator Sees to All Things Work
    This is what the evaluator in the Office of Admissions sees:...
  • Posted What The Submitter Sees to All Things Work
    Here are a series of screen shots showing what a student who submits a course for approval will see:...
  • Posted Cache to All Things Work
    I installed the Hyper Cache plugin on the Satellite and measured improvements on WebWait. Before activating Hyper Cache After activating Hyper Cache After placing define('WP_CACHE', true); in the wp-config.php file After clearing cache in Hyper Cache settings....
  • Posted Find Courses That Have Been Revised or Marked for Deletion to All Things Work
    Open the LCTL database. On the Courses Tab, switch to list view by clicking the List button in the formatting bar. Find for "Yes" in either the "Revision?" or "Delete?" fields....
  • Posted How do I change the resource center hours? to All Things Work
    Pull down the Scripts menu to "Set Confucius Institute Hours..." Edit the text in the Hours window and click Save....
  • Posted Process Online Request to All Things Work
    Follow these instructions to process requests submitted through the Confucius Institute Resource Center. Orders submitted via the web land in the Confucius Institute Resource Center database and appear on the Requests tab. Match the borrower. Users submit orders using their...
  • Posted Remove a Book from Circulation to All Things Work
    Here's how to mark books as "damaged" or "missing" and take them out of circulation without having to delete the entire asset's record in the system. Select the appropriate value from the Condition value list. Click the green button adjacent...
  • Posted Intranet: Close-Out to All Things Work
    Sure there's more to do but I'm closing out the Intranet project and opening a new project as Phase II. Hours I spent a whopping 350 hours since April of 2010. Uffda. But look at the result....
  • Posted Grubstake for Stakeholders to All Things Work
    These are ingredients of a successful project. We tend to follow a process that blends Project Management phases with the Software Development Life Cycle lightly seasoned with User Experience protocols. As a consequence, the following are not pure examples of...
  • Posted User Access to All Things Work
    Here are the areas within the WordPress administration and which roles can access them. Area Editor Author Contributor Posts Yes     Categories Yes     Tags Yes     Silos       Conference Rooms Yes    ...
  • Posted User Roles to All Things Work
    These are the stock WordPress roles and how we're using them. Administrator - Full access to everything. Dean's Office communications staff and IT will share the credentials to the sole administrator account. Editor - Can create and publish their own...
  • Posted Chip Chip Hooray! to All Things Work
    To the tune of Folsom Prison Blues: I hear that Chip's retirin'. He's biking down the road. And we're just trying to pay him all the thanks he's owed. Well he's been with Global Campus, now the LAC. I'll miss...
  • Posted Credit Card Authorizations to All Things Work
    Greg Miller spoke at a recent web standards meeting. Funny guy, which you wouldn't expect from the Manager of PCI DSS Compliance. I guess you need a sense of humor to marry the vast accounting network at the University with...
  • Posted Retreat To Move Forward to All Things Work
    There are two attitudes toward other cultures. Minimization = Hey, deep down we're all the same. Defense = We're different and they're silly and quaint. Encouraging students to actively look for evidence contrary to their attitude deepens their cultural learning....
  • Posted Terminal Commands to All Things Work
    ssh username@servername.gps.umn.edu cd /Volumes/Live/directory/directory/ ls -la cd a-deeper-directory/ sudo chown owner:group filename.jpg sudo chmod 644 filename.jpg...
  • Posted WordPress Brown Bag to All Things Work
    I shared my progress on our intranet at a brown bag session on WordPress yesterday. Essential to our site is the Less Framework adaptive CSS grid system which skins our content to the users device. I added the Starbucks nomenclature...
  • Posted The Satellite and Your Mobile Device to All Things Work
    On Your iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch Wordpress (free): Good for adding posts because you login only once and you can work offline. Install the app and I'll configure it. You do not need to create an account. Twitter (free):...
  • Posted Set Default User Name in FileMaker to All Things Work
    Select Preferences.... from the FileMaker menu. In the User Name section, select "Other" and type your x500 in the field provided. Click OK....
  • Posted System Map to All Things Work
    I took the content inventory (did you have a chance to review that list?), and organized it into this system map. In the process I puzzled out how the data will be managed in WordPress and what rules govern how...
  • Posted Why WordPress? to All Things Work
    I watched much of a Lynda tutorial on choosing the right content management system (CMS). I rated the following features on how important they are to our project. 1 = not important, 3 = very important. Multisite support1 Easy...
  • Posted Updating Records With An Imported File to FileMaker
    Be careful when you update records by way of an import. There is no undo so make sure you have a good backup. Here's how the two features work: Update Existing Records in Found Set Let's say you have ten...
  • Posted Kick-Off: CARLA Contact Database to All Things Work
    Met with Liz yesterday and sketched out a rough timeline for this project: October to Mid November: I work on database based on dissections of the current database. Mid November to Mid December: Work with Liz, incorporating her feedback. Mid...
  • Posted Getting Media Queries To Work to All Things Work
    I'm using WordPress for our intranet and incorporating the Less Framework template so our pages respond to the device. I learned that I need to add the following line to the header.php file. I added it after the stylesheet call....
  • Posted Situation Normalization to All Things Work
    What does it mean to normalize your data? Here's the Wikipedia definition: In the design of a relational database management system (RDBMS), the process of organizing data to minimize redundancy is called normalization. The goal of database normalization is to...
  • Posted Way Forward to All Things Work
    It's decided: WorkflowGen will be the new platform for CARLA's Conference Database. To review, the Conference Database is a web-based system built by Marlene using FileMaker 6 and CDML. It gathers conference proposals for review and approval by committees. People...
  • Posted CARLA Conference Database to All Things Work
    What do we do with the CARLA Conference Database? It's currently hosted on an old, unreliable computer running the client version of FileMaker 6. Options up for consideration include: Marlene rebuilds it in PHP in our modern FileMaker environment Soni...
  • Posted How to print the GPS Phone List to All Things Work
    On the Staff tab... Go to the List view by clicking the "View As" buttons beneath the button bar. Click the "GPS Phone List" button at the bottom of the list. About the Phone List The GPS Phone List is...
  • Posted Next Steps to All Things Work
    I checked the University's branding site and the section on social media. I didn't read anything explicit about twitter hashtags but judging from the University's News Service feed, the convention has settled on #umn. Jennifer is tasked with developing a...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from Sonja Froyen

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page