Will Bausman

• Commented on Question Submission 13
    I was struck by the difference between a static view of science and a dynamical view of science and think this distinction can be used to understand two very different philosophies of science. Wimsatt says, "In a static view of...
  • Commented on Question Submission 12
    So after reading the Hull article I am very confused about what it means to be a reductionist and why anyone would want (or not want) to be one. I think I understand that it is a question about the...
  • Commented on Question Submission 9
    I was worried that Marange's History was going to be tough reading for a non-biologist but I have been pleasantly surprised. It is extremely clear. I don't really have any questions about it, but I would like to ask about...
  • Commented on Question Submission 6
    Waters' account of difference makers applies only to contrastive classes, not to single instances. He makes this clear in Ch2 p26. He says, "In the case of a singular effect, it would indeed be a fool's errant to identify the...
  • Commented on Question Submission 6
    This question is based on Waters' 'Why Genetics Succeeds'. I wonder about the connection between warranted belief and knowledge in the context of classical genetics. Waters argues in Ch2 that only the minimal, classical gene concept warrants belief. I assume...
  • Commented on Question Submission 5
    This question pertains to PGS's "Reproduction and Individuality". The most succinct way of putting my question is, can we tell a story of in which an individual organism (however one spells that out) evolves over time? Or does evolution require...
  • Commented on Question Submission 4
    This question concerns "Tracking Organic Processes: Representation and Research Styles in Classical Embryology and Genetics" by Griesemer. I liked this paper for its success in articulating a view of conceptual change in genetics, development, and heredity that goes against the...
  • Commented on Question Submission 3
    This question is based on reading Wimsatt 2006. I agree that both science and philosophy are purpose and goal directed human activities. Is seems to me that Wimsatt is saying that the practice of positing identities is justified in science...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from Will Bausman

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page