butch037

• Commented on Question Submission 14 (Last One)
    > I definitely think that the explanatory range of a theory is a collection of the phenomena that has been reduced to that theory. Something like DNA replication is a good example to me where the theory of it is...
    I found Wimsatt's lecture on Thursday to be interesting and thought provoking. When lecturing on how to identify a reductionist- I found myself being described perfectly. My question is the criterion of multi-level reductionistic modeling. I feel as though many...
  • Commented on Question Submission 13
    > This caught my eye too when I was reading Rosenberg. I agree with Brooke about the parallel between this and teaching of the scientific method, but my big problem is that it makes me have no faith in present...
  • Commented on Question Submission 13
    “But they are also the core techniques in the theoretical revolution that has converted reductionism from the rhetorical to the literal as a description of biological method. Ultimately it is the rapidly expanding application of these techniques that stands behind...
  • Commented on Question Submission 12
    > I personally don't think that people try to reduce theories- it just makes the most sense at times. I agree that reductionism for the sake of reduction is silly, but sometimes it is easier to reduce a theory rather...
  • Commented on Question Submission 12
    This week I have two questions. The first is related to the statement about Mendelian genetics, a "biological theory" being replaced by molecular genetics, something they state is a more physico/chemical theory. Personally as a biologist, I feel that this...
  • Commented on Question Submission 10
    In chapter 9, Morange said that Svedberg handed over his failing electrophoresis project to his student Tiselius. Tiselius too struggled with developing a successful apparatus, until he received a Rockefeller foundation grant in 1936 that allowed him to construct the...
  • Commented on Question Submission 9
    "In his introduction, Morange warns against the writing of Whiggish history of science, proposing that one take unique vantage points when exploring a given episode or historical community in science. Specifically, Morange suggests that when we look at the trail...
  • Commented on Question Submission 8
    "Does it not make sense to consider the possibility that the most basic form of understanding in human knowledge comes in the linear form? And then we build to duplicate this knowledge and in the process break the original linear...
  • Commented on Question Submission 7
    My question comes from Water's Chapter 2 and discussion on the transmission theory of classical genetics. When Morgan developed the Chromosome Theory of Inheritance and was working on transmission theory, how much was actually understood on say a biochemical/molecular cellular...
  • Commented on Question Submission 6
    > I found this comment about how providing evidence for one's opposing argument would not change the opposing scientists viewpoint. Right now I am discussing the social construction of science in another philosophy of science course and this to me...
  • Commented on Question Submission 6
    I have several questions that all have to do with material that Griesemer taught this past week. The first has to do with reproduction in living species, and what is reproduction. Since all living beings have DNA, can't we just...
  • Commented on Question Submission 5
    > Looking again at Griesemer's powerpoint, I thought that his argument goes as far as to support that selection happens at the species level or higher. I thought his examples at the end of class on Tuesday supported this argument....
  • Commented on Question Submission 5
    My question has to do with stated problem #1-evolutionary transition from Profesor Griesemer's Thursday lecture. The question was brought up as to whether or not genes involved. While thinking about this, I was reminded of the genetic code and its...
  • Commented on Question Submission 4
    At the beginning of the 20th century, it was established that chromosomes were directly related to inheritance, and any change that occurred to the chromosomes would result in a change in inheritance. It was also believed that since all chromosomes...
  • Commented on Question Submission 4
    My question comes from reading Ch. 5 of Moore on Drosophilia and Morgan. Even though I am a science major and have taken genetics, I thought that his logic of the the white eyed mutation being found on a sex...
  • Commented on Question Submission 3
    In response to this question: My question is based around the discovery of uniqueness of chromosomes and how exactly Boveri was able to reach the conclusion that all chromosomes must be unique. If at the time of Boveris research with...
  • Commented on Question Submission 3
    In Moore’s Chapter 4 “Chromosomes and Inheritance”, Moore talked about how before Boveri’s experiments with the sea urchins it was believed that within any single species, one chromosome was about the same as another. The thought behind this was that...
  • Commented on Question Submission 2
    There have been so many advances in genetics these days, that they are realizing that there are exceptions to mendels rule. For instance, in flowers, a white and a red rose can be bred to create a pink one. This...
  • Commented on Question Submission 2
    Blending inheritance is the idea that the offspring of two people are essential a combination of the parents. An example is if one tall person and one short person were to have a child, the child would be of a...
  • Commented on Question Submission 1
    The first thing that comes to mind when answering the question is natural disasters/unexpected climate changes and how this would affect a species that is specialized in one area. For example, say a bird becomes extremely skilled at opening up...
  • Commented on Question Submission 1
    After reading the first 4 chapters of Darwin’s 1859 and reading the handouts from class, I was struck by the similarity in evolutionary theory of Empedocles and Darwin. In the handout labeled “Explanation and Evolution Among the Greeks” Empedocles theory...
  • Commented on Trial Run
    Mendel...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from butch037

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page