feiax003

• Commented on Question Submission 14 (Last One)
    A good question. I have kind of been wondering the same thing. Hull also talks about the reduction of Mendelian genetics to molecular genetics and in my opinion Mendelian genetics and molecular genetics aren't different, but rather just different perspectives...
  • Commented on Question Submission 13
    I agree with you. I thought it was nice to see some explanation between scientific discovery and reductionism. I think it's important to make those connections....
  • Commented on Question Submission 13
    My question is just more or less clarification on something I did not understand, but I thought it was important to ask because it ties in with the Schaffner article we read a few weeks ago. In Wimsatt's article (p.254),...
  • Commented on Question Submission 12
    We started to touch on this subject in last Tuesdays class, but I am having trouble making the connections between reductionism and its importance/role it plays in modern science. It is stated in Hull's paper that "All changes in science...
  • Commented on Question Submission 10
    I agree and think you make a very good point. My guess is that the scientific method is part of a set curriculum that teachers must adhere to. Also, I wonder how many teachers are aware that they are teaching...
  • Commented on Question Submission 10
    I find all this talk about modern science and scientists today to be quite interesting because I myself am a molecular biology researcher here at the U. It is very strange to be looking at my job from a philosophical...
  • Commented on Question Submission 9
    One of the concepts that Morange seems to mention throughout the first few chapters is how information was received or what resulted because of it. It is a process of discovery and acceptance. On page 30, in reference to Oswald...
  • Commented on Question Submission 8
    As a biology student, I am struggling to connect many of the philosophical concepts in Water's manuscript to present day research. He says in chapter 3 "Historians and philosophers tend to assume that the abstract models of science represent or...
  • Commented on Question Submission 7
    I was glad you asked this question because that was something that I was finding confusing as well. I think it was nice for him to use some students' example questions because I usually find that if someone has a...
  • Commented on Question Submission 7
    My question is more of a clarification for my own understanding. In chapter 3 of Professor Waters manuscript, he states "The second point is that exploratory experimentation is not (typically) theory free. All kinds of background theories are used to...
  • Commented on Question Submission 6
    In section 2.4 of Walters reading, he discusses Woodward’s interventionist theory. On p.14 he states “a causal relationship exists between two variables, X and Y, when: for at least some individuals there is a possible manipulation of some value of...
  • Commented on Question Submission 1
    Darwin is most well known for his novel ideas captured in his book "The Origin of Species". Most of the research was gathered during his voyage on the Beagle. He studied ecological complexity, evolution and behaviour. According to "The Image...
  • Commented on Trial Run
    Mendel...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from feiax003

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page