Caroline

• Commented on "Not Just One Future" - David Nye; The Corrections (a selection) - Jonathan Franzen
    In “Not Just One Future” Nye talks about the human relationship with technology, and how our view of this relationship has changed throughout the years. He very well states that the underlying question is “Where does the human infatuation with...
  • Commented on Question Submission 14 (Last One)
    *do...
    I think this highlights much of our discussion this semester. When is reduction appropriate? When is it useful? Is it okay to due even if the scientific evidence is diluted in the process? Great, concise question....
    Professor Love discusses the negative view held of reductive theory in the biological sciences. He proposes that we alter the way reductive theory is used to create a more useful, meaningful process. He says the focus should be more on...
  • Commented on "The Serfdom of Crowds" - Jaron Lanier; "Adults and Social Network Websites" - Amanda Lenhart; "Are Baby Boomers Killing Facebook and Twitter?" - R. Strohmeyer
    I really enjoyed “Are Baby Boomers Killing Facebook and Twitter?” by R. Strohmeyer as it highlighted a change I, and many of my peers, have noticed over the past couple years. When I first joined Facebook, only college students could...
  • Commented on Question Submission 13
    I think it is important not to look at science as a means to discover the truth, but rather, simply a way to become more knowledgeable through the process of discovery. I'm not sure what Rosenberg meant by THE truth,...
  • Commented on "Social Network Sites: Definition, History, and Scholarship" - d. boyd; "Anti-social Networking?"
    While reading “Social Network sites: Definition, History, and Scholarship” it was fascinating to see how quickly social networking sites (SNS) became popular and integrated into our culture. This has been a common trend for many of the popular technologies we...
  • Commented on Question Submission 13
    In his paper, Professor Wimsatt provides several potential explanations for why many philosophers believe reduction is not important or over-used. One of the explanations I found particularly strong was “an emphasis on structural (deductive, formal, logical) similarities has led to...
  • Commented on Question Submission 12
    This is an excellent perspective, and I believe it summarizes many of the frustrations/confusion we have been discussing during this semester. Why is reduction necessary? And if one does reduce a theory, what is the correct way in which to...
  • Commented on "Post Secret" ; "Breaking Up in a Digital Fishbowl"; "The Net Effect"
    I discovered Post Secret when it was first published and became instantly addicted. There is something so amusing, touching, and fascinating about reading stranger’s most intimate secrets. It gives you a sense of being connected to someone. Even though the...
  • Commented on Question Submission 12
    In “Reduction of Mendelian Genetics” Hull discusses the history of scientific reduction. He says that in the past all reductions have occurred within a single, well-defined area of science. Only in the past two decades has reduction occurred across multiple...
  • Commented on Question Submission 11
    I don't think Schaffner intends for biology to be reduced to chemistry, then from chemistry reduced to physics. I think he intend for there to be a direct reduction of biology to both chemistry and physics. I too, have found...
  • Commented on "We are the Web" - Kevin Kelly; "The Web Means the End of Forgetting" - Jeffrey Rosen
    “The Web Means the End of Forgetting” covers the topic of privacy and the internet. Since Facebook and other online social networking sites have become so popular I have heard several stories of people losing job opportunities due to the...
  • Commented on Question Submission 10
    My question this week was very similar. Professor Love's view of the scientific method, and the role is plays in scientific discovery, goes against what I was taught during my years of learning scientific curriculum. While it goes against the...
  • Commented on Question Submission 10
  • Commented on "What Computers Mean for Man and Society" - Herbert Simon; "Wired Magazine's iPad Edition Goes Live"
    I found the article in Wired magazine very interesting. In the article they are announcing that they will now offer their magazine on the new iPad. The statement I found so interesting was the following: “We have always made our...
  • Commented on "Mobile Telephony..." - Imar de Vries; "How Americans Use Their Cell Phones"; "I ♥ Novels" - Dana Goodyear
    The theme throughout today’s readings seemed to be focused on our constant need to communicate. In I <3 Novels Mone publishes her life story, in a diary format, via her phone over the internet so other people can read it...
  • Commented on Question Submission 10
    Morange states: “The supposed existence of privileged molecular masses turned out to be an artifact produced by the fact that very few proteins had been studied. The interest stimulated by these preliminary results showed that many biochemists hoped to discover...
  • Commented on Question Submission 9
    This is an interesting question and one I have had throughout the semster as well. It seems that with many of the cases we have studied, the scientists are more interested in proving a theory than actually proving scientific data/discovery....
  • Commented on "Telegraphy--the Victorian Internet" - T. Standage; America Calling - Claude Fischer
    Before today’s reading I had never thought of the telegraph as being such an explosive, influential technology. After reading “Telegraphy—The Victorian Internet” it is obvious how much the new technology influenced communication and the expectations of people. Its influence and...
  • Commented on Question Submission 8
    To me, all the elements of genetic mapping are equally important. Gene location is just as critical in understanding the process of genetic mapping as any other aspect. Perhaps, gene location is discussed less as it seems to be less...
  • Commented on Question Submission 8
    In his paper, Professor Waters discuss the way in which genetic analysis was conducted. He discusses three important ingredients that go into successful genetic analysis, that being, transmission theory, procedural knowledge, and investigative strategies. Transmission theory we have discusses at...
  • Commented on Question Submission 7
    This is an interesting point Emily. As I have been listening to Professor Waters explain practice-based epistemology, it seems to me that many of his examples could be included in theory-based epistemology. Perhaps the reason the two are separated is...
  • Commented on Question Submission 7
    At the beginning of chapter two, Professor Waters talks about the development of classical genetics. He describes the transmission theory as explaining characteristic inheritance while being able to avoid the topic of “how these characteristics were produced in the development...
  • Commented on "Consumption and Dispersion" - David Nye; "Why Not Electricity?" - S. Scott & K. Pellman
    The article “Why Not Electricity?” discussed the topic of technological inventions and the Amish. It was very interesting to read about their views towards technology and how it should be used. The theme seemed to be similar to one we’ve...
  • Commented on Question Submission 6
    It is interesting that so much thought and effort is put into examples and counter examples and rarely do people producing these examples change their mind. The reason for these examples/counter-examples, I believe, relates to the general reason for philosophy....
  • Commented on Mill City Museum; America as Second Creation - David Nye: chapters 5 & 6
    I really enjoyed the Mill City Museum. The video about the history of Minneapolis in 19 minutes was very interesting. The video emphasized the importance of the falls, and the opportunities they provided for people living in Minnesota during its...
  • Commented on Question Submission 6
    Griesemer discusses Darwinian evolution in his manuscript. Griesemer begins by saying that traits must be heritable, and these heritable traits must effect reproduction. Therefore, the species with the most desirable traits will reproduce in greater numbers and thus effect evolution....
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from Caroline

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page