roha0014

• Commented on Question Submission 14 (Last One)
    At first I had the same intuitions as you, that we could have separate discussions of these matters (reduction and theory vs. practice centered views of science), but I believe that there are two things that prevent this. First, reductionists...
    Might it be the case that theories themselves have aspects of intrinsicality, fundamentality, and temporality, much like reduction between theories does? There are clear differences in how theories work, especially between physics and biology, and it is clear after reading...
  • Commented on Question Submission 13
    I think that Rosenberg’s view of molecular genetics given here is simply in relation to reducing Mendelian genetics to it. I don’t think that he would claim that this is the only merit of molecular genetics, especially considering he goes...
  • Commented on Question Submission 13
    If Rosenberg to abandon the Nagelian ideal of theory reduction and admit that Schaffner's corrections could be made, what type of and (in a rough sense) how many corrections could be made before a replacement has occurred rather than a...
  • Commented on Question Submission 12
    To what extent is the difficulty caused by the reduction of Mendelian genetics to molecular genetics caused by the fact that neither are formal theories, like those of physics? In both selections on reduction in biology so far, a physical...
  • Commented on Question Submission 11
    Though Shaffner makes a few contradictory statements over the course of his paper, it seems that he would not say that science is simply theory. He agrees with Sellars' statement that "to reduce chemical theory to physical theory is not...
  • Commented on Question Submission 10
    Morange makes a claim in chapter four that struck me immediately. He says, in reference to the difference in reception between the experiments of Hershey and Chase and Avery: "This disparity shows that a scientific experiment does not have intrinsic...
  • Commented on Question Submission 9
    It sounded to me that it wasn't the style of presentation but the context in which Avery's experiment occurred that prevented it from being accepted when his paper was published. At the time, the conviction was that proteins were the...
  • Commented on Question Submission 8
    I believe that Waters is simply pointing out that the geneticists of the Morgan school had more than one way of mapping the locations of genes, and that all of these types of mapping reveal different knowledge. To map genes...
  • Commented on Question Submission 7
    I would say that Waters' deflation of scientific knowledge would not stifle the practical benefits of scientific endeavors. Simply admitting that there is less knowledge in science than was formerly presumed would not change the fact that (as Waters has...
  • Commented on Question Submission 7
    I am interested in how different theories might overlap domains in Waters' account of scientific knowledge and the implication of that overlap. (This is under the assumption that theories ideally could explain all phenomena, which, though it does not mesh...
  • Commented on Question Submission 6
    I am having trouble accepting Professor Waters' account of causation which he proposes in Chapter 2 of his book (and described in lecture). Though it does nicely solve the problem posed by Mill, it seems to me that it will...
  • Commented on Question Submission 5
    I believe that Griesemer in particular would agree that basing an account not using human reproduction would be vital to understanding reproduction and evolution. I think that this is one of the primary reasons for Griesemer using retroviruses to prove...
  • Commented on Question Submission 5
    Griesemer’s example of the chemoton as a possible look at the first lifelike process in class Thursday raised some interest in me of what role emergentism may be able to play is explanation of biological processes. While the chemoton would...
  • Commented on Question Submission 4
    There is no force that governs coupling of characteristics. Rather, it is the physical distance of the gene on the chromosome that determines whether genes are linked or not. The closer the genes are to each other, the more tightly...
  • Commented on Question Submission 4
    This question might be somewhat delayed from the readings on Mendel, but when reading Moore, chapter 5, about the rediscovery and acceptance of Mendelism as a theory of inheritance, I started to wonder why the actual mechanism driving the dominance...
  • Commented on Question Submission 3
    Not all scientific theories are metaphysical theories. I would say that the theory of evolution, in particular, is not a metaphysical theory. It describes only what appears to be a contingent phenomenon in our particular world. True metaphysical theories describe...
  • Commented on Question Submission 3
    I am interested in Roux's use of the word "qualities" in "On the Significance of Nuclear Division Figures." It does not seem apparent that Roux uses the word in the hereditary sense in which it is frequently used today, but...
  • Commented on Question Submission 2
    There is a striking difference in process between Darwin and Mendel, though both scientists were conducting their research at roughly the same time. Mendel's experiment and mathematical stress is absolutely opposed to Darwin, whose argument rests on little or no...
  • Commented on Question Submission 1
    Darwin does at least once refer to creationism in On the Origin of Species, when he gives the general definition of species by naturalists of his time as including "the unknown element of a distinct act of creation."(Chapter 2, p....
  • Commented on Question Submission 1
    To what extent did Darwin consider natural selection a predictive theory? Darwin seems to give conflicting views on this matter, claiming early that the complicated and sometimes mystical effects of heredity and conditions of life create an infinitely complex system...
  • Commented on Trial Run
    Mendel...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from roha0014

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page