Chris Orlic

• Commented on Question Submission 14 (Last One)
    I think that most theories or practises that become entrenched do so because they are perceived to be successful. I would argue that there are two ways this can happen - one they can actually be successful or they may...
    A layered cake view of reductionism seems compatible with a different view of reductionism - layered reductionism (if you will). What I mean, is that one can oppose full scale reductionism and embrace intra layer reductionism (seeking to explain phenomena...
  • Commented on Question Submission 13
    I think some of the advances at first fueled the belief in reductionism; however, the failure to deliver the goods that were imagined (lions with wings, if you will) have shown that the picture is far more complicated. For example,...
  • Commented on Question Submission 13
    In class Dr Wimsatt referred himself as both a reductionist and anti-reductionist - arguing that there are phenomena that are reducible and that there are phenomena that are not. I think this needs to be furthered fleshed out. That is,...
  • Commented on Question Submission 12
    I mostly agree with you. I find the concept of revolutions in science and politics problematic. Revolutions, whether political or intellectual are nebulous things those beginnings , ends, and causes are hard to define, those significance is hard to ascertain,...
  • Commented on Question Submission 12
    It seems to me to an extend Hull is trying to differentiate between Mendelian genetics and Molecular genetics - because Mendelian genetics assumed that genes were stable, that position did not matter, that genes were either dominant or recessive and...
  • Commented on Question Submission 11
    1) Beadle and Tatum's theory that every gene coded or was responsible for a protein seems compelling in some cases; however, as some of the research of biometricians and the Morgan school suggested things were more complicated. Further, the...
  • Commented on Question Submission 9
    Morange argues that part of the success of genetics is attributable to its elegant models which yielded practical success (pg 17). Morange recognises the importance of Drosophila in the development of genetics (pg 16). Is the applicability of concepts of...
  • Commented on Question Submission 6
    Prof Waters suggests that many developments in science occur not as a result of theorizing & discussions about theory as well as possible/plausible accounts for observed phenomena; but rather, as a result of pragmatic moves/techniques/ made by the practitioners (read:...
  • Commented on Question Submission 5
    I want to further explore the role of material connections in evolution. Prof Griesmer argued that a photocopier is rather different than biological reproduction because there is no material from the parent present in the offspring (copy). I would like...
  • Commented on Question Submission 4
    I think, Griesmer argues that Mendel was interested in two aspects of the phenomena that he study: a)the traits of organisms; b)the inheritance of such traits. These are both developmental questions because they did not deal with what we would...
  • Commented on Question Submission 4
    Last class Prof Wimsatt discussed how false models can help devise better theories (that is, theories which are better at describing whatever it is that scientists are trying to describe). We can call these, descriptions of ever increasing accuracy. The...
  • Commented on Question Submission 3
    I was interested in further exploring the significance of Boveri's and Sutton's work; in class we discussed that Boveri's experiments were pivotal in undermining alternative hypothesis. However, do these experiments only appear pivotal in hindsight? Where they considered pivotal at...
  • Commented on Question Submission 2
    How was the reception of Darwinism and the development of biology affected by the reluctance of naturalists, morphologists, embryologists to accept natural selection as the means by which evolution occurs? It has been well document that Darwin's Origin was more...
  • Commented on Question Submission 1
    I think the genealogy of Darwin's thought is an important aspect to explore. How did Darwin came up with natural selection and what role did different thinkers have on him. One particular point is whether he first thought of artificial...
  • Commented on Question Submission 1
    HI, I think you make a very important point. Darwin makes only one reference to mankind in the Origin of Species in the concluding chapter. His comment is "Light will be thrown on the origin of man and his history"....
  • Commented on Trial Run
    Mendel...
  • Commented on Trial Run
    Gregor Mendel....
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from Chris Orlic

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page