Elizabeth Lightfoot

• Posted Thanks for the great week! to Treks Explore 2010
    I was worried about the whole week time commitment for this week, but it turned out to be more than well worth the time. I feel so lucky to have so many experts in the room to show us new...
  • Posted Looking forward to my "ning" class tonight to Treks Explore 2010
    I'm teaching my first class using Ning in a few hours, which will be a great opportunity to "integrate" what I've been learning this week. I'm looking forward to seeing how all that we've been talking about this week will...
  • Posted Changing technology... to Treks Explore 2010
    Today was another useful day at Treks Explore. Though, at the end of the day, I'm thinking of how much technology is always changing and improving, which is great for teaching and learning. The downside for this is that using...
  • Posted Loved the individual instruction to Treks Explore 2010
    I really appreciated the individual instruction from Suzanne, and gave me some great ideas on how to better integrate social networking into my upcoming class. I have a much better idea on how to do this now, and really got...
  • Posted Lots of technology support in CEHD to Treks Explore 2010
    I'm impressed with the amount of technology support there is at CEHD. I'm looking forward to using some of the support in developing online courses for my MSW classes as well as opportunities for PhD seminars....
  • Posted The Long Tail to The Lightfoot Line
    I heard an interesting radio segement today about the Long Tail. Chris Anderson coined the term the Long Tail in an article in Wired in 2004, and is releasing a book on the same topic in a few days. It...
  • Posted MySpace the #1 issue facing summer camps? to The Lightfoot Line
    The New York Times had an amusing article today about the impact of MySpace on Summer Camp. Apparently, summer camps are having a huge problem with campers and counsellor posting about their summer camps in MySpace, FaceBook and other sorts...
  • Posted Political Social Networking to The Lightfoot Line
    came across a political "social networking website" - www.essembly.com. It is akin to myspace and facebook, but all about politics. Unfortunately, you have to register at this website, but if you are interested at all in politics, you may...
  • Posted Tracking your kids like a fed ex package to The Lightfoot Line
    My good friend Kelly posted an interesting piece about using technology to essentially track your kids like you track your lost fed ex package. Kelly isn't advocating these devices, just describing them. Now, I worry about my kids as much...
  • Posted Dilbert on the benefits of "face to face" communication to The Lightfoot Line
    Today's Dilbert comic strip, which I generally don't appreciate, was right on topic for our class discussion board this week about the strengths/benefits of face-to-face organizing versus virtual organizing. Check it out here....
  • Posted St. Paul's Budget Cruncher to The Lightfoot Line
    I read on do-wire that St. Paul has an interesting interactive "budget cruncher", where you can try to balance the city of St. Paul's budget yourself. Check it out here. I think these tools are great for people who complain...
  • Posted Searching for presents for my Dad to The Lightfoot Line
    I'm up early, as I woke up and suddenly realized that I don't yet have a birthday present for my Dad, who is turning 80 on Monday. Since my Dad has no obvious hobbies anymore, aside from the Seattle Mariners,...
  • Posted The Revolutionary Association of the Women of Afghanistan to The Lightfoot Line
    I ran across a very interesting article about a radical Afghan feminist group today: The Revolutionary Association of the Women of Afghanistan (RAWA). This group had been around since the old war with the Soviet Union in the 1970s, but...
  • Posted Political Blogs - the New Iowa? to The Lightfoot Line
    I got a very interesting article put in my mailbox last week (physical mailbox!) written by David Perlmutter of LSU in the Chronicle of Higher Education about how the blogosphere was morphing into the a form of presidential primary. He...
  • Posted Unity '08 to The Lightfoot Line
    Some "centrists" have decided to try again to have a bi-partisan, third-party ticket in the presidential election. This time, they think they are going to be successful because they are using the Internet. The effort, dubbed Unity08, aims to enlist...
  • Posted Web 2.0 - Over already? to The Lightfoot Line
    A trademark dispute over who could use the term Web 2.0 blew-up last week in the blogosophere, when O'Reilly, who coined the now widely used term, sent a cease and desist letter against an Irish company putting on a conference...
  • Posted In Memory of Ann Kranz to The Lightfoot Line
    Ann Kranz, a program director at the Minnesota Center Against Violence and Abuse (MINCAVA) , died over the weekend due to complications from a rare form of Muscular Dystrophy. Ann was instrumental in the development and expansion of the...
  • Posted My Aunt, the Burmese Beauty Queen to The Lightfoot Line
    My aunt, Louisa Benson, grew up in Burma, half-Karen (an ethnic minority in Burma) and half-Portugese. Aunt Louisa, who was Miss Burma twice in the 1950s, married a Karen revolutionary fighter. After the government murdered her husband, she went to...
  • Posted Maybe this whole "strategic positioning" will turn out OK after all? to The Lightfoot Line
    I was so pleased to be at the press conference where the Unviersity introduced Darlyne Bailey as the new Dean of the "new" College of Education and Human Development - which interestingly has the same name as the old College....
  • Posted to The Lightfoot Line
  • Posted Why I started a blog to The Lightfoot Line
    When I taught Community Organizing and Advocacy in Cyberspace 4 years ago, we barely mentioned the role a "blog" would have in politics, advocacy or anything else. Now there are 37 million blogs in the world, and their influence has...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from Elizabeth Lightfoot