peno0005

• Commented on Last Blog
    I agree. Oprah has redefined talk shows today. She has come up with a realistic talk show which allows many people to relate, creating a wide-set audience. Also, she was broad on what topics she chose to cover. At times,...
  • Commented on Post DQs for Tuesday here
    While reading Buying into American Idol, I noticed that the author speaks of advertisers having the fear that they will lose viewers because DVR is becoming the norm. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe movie theaters used to...
  • Commented on Make-up blog!
    My paper also involved the About-Face Organization and I love the reason on why you chose the text. I also took this option for the paper because I have a sister who has been highly influenced by the media-- the...
  • Posted Blog Catch-Up Opportunity - Final Paper to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    1. What option you chose I chose Option 2: Media organization analysis. 2. What specific texts and/or organization you are focusing on
 I chose to focus on a media reform organization called About-Face. It is a self-esteem program that educates...
  • Commented on Blog Post Final Paper
    I love this idea. Not only can you gather fantastic information from what we have discovered in class, but you can make a great argument over an important topic in regards to what is happening right now. I would be...
  • Commented on Response to War Made Easy
    Teesh I like the correlation between the Propaganda Model along with the War Made Easy Documentary. I also agree that it is important to remember the Propaganda Model when watching the news and begin thinking even more critically. It's important...
  • Commented on Post DQs for Thursday here!
    I am not surprised that newspapers are beginning to decline in our country. Do you think by only having the internet someday, it will make our country less-aware of what is truly happening around us? Newspapers give us a major...
  • Commented on Response to Blog Prompt on Sports
    Semantics, I love hearing your experiences, being that you have grown up in another country. It sounds like you, as well as your family, have been through a lot of major experiences... experiences that have been major challenges. Hearing your...
  • Commented on Post your DQs for Thursday here
    Reading Oates' article, he strictly focuses on Football, an American sport (National Football League). Can you think of other sports in other countries, where people could have the same thoughts/views?...
  • Commented on Something to wrap your legs.. er brain around.
    I have also seen this particular SKYY advertisement before. I agree that it is a very sexual advertisement and looking closer at it along with your analysis makes it appear even more provocative. I loved reading this because I never...
  • Commented on Post Thursday DQs here!
    In the article "The Pornography of Everyday Life", Jane Caputi points out great advertisements in both television and magazines. While I was reading the article, I kept thinking about how the internet is a major part of most peoples' "everyday...
  • Commented on Blog Post 6
    Since I was unable to attend Remy's lecture, I really like how you incorporated both his talk and the readings in your blog post. Hearing what you had to say regarding the word "fluid" and how Remy talked about it...
  • Commented on Blog Prompt- Section Two Papers
    I agree on having more time to do the paper. I also did my paper on Masculinity and I think that bringing in scientific facts to show how it impacts the lives of males, as well as those around them,...
  • Posted Description of My Section Two Paper Regarding Masculinity to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    For the second section paper assignment, I chose to do my paper on Masculinity. I was very excited to write this paper and found it to be a great experience. My paper discussed things that we talked about in class...
  • Commented on POST THURSDAY DQS HERE!!!
    In Heroes of Assimilation—How the Media Transform Disability the author states, “I would add that the media are complicit in this construction of disability because it defines the ways in which people with disabilities are ‘regarded,’ enforcing stereotypes that prolong...
  • Commented on Blog #5
    I agree that what we hear from rap has become so much the norm whether it's good or bad. I also agree that they tend to keep their language because that is what they are known for, but I also...
    “You’re in. You were right. Your presentation was better than mine. I dropped out and you’re in.” That quote out of “What Does Race Have to Do With Ugly Betty?” said by Betty, got me thinking. In that particular scene,...
  • Commented on Roseanne and the working-class
    I agree with the fact that Roseanne really spoke to a wide audience because it was very realistic. Roseanne did a great job of showing people that woman can have power and can work to keep a family and to...
  • Posted From Advertisements to Men. The "Tough Guise". to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    Suck it up. Boys don't cry. Wuss. Baby. Nancy. Those crude comments are what boys and men hear if they're not "tough" enough. The "Tough Guise" refers to the façade that males exploit in order to avoid any risk of...
  • Commented on Blog Prompt- Feminism
    I agree that women have come far, I just don't think that she's acknowledging how far they have truly come. I agree with you that it would be interesting to read a follow-up article 10-15 years from now and seeing...
  • Commented on POST TUESDAY DQS HERE!
    I've been noodling on how to word this for quite some time so I hope it makes sense. This is how I viewed one side of the article: In Advertising and the Construction of Violent White Masculinity, Jackson Katz states,...
  • Posted Feminism to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    In "Girls Gone Anti-Feminist", Susan J. Douglas argues the point that now that women have finally reached a close situation in equilibrium in regards with men, there is no reason to be feminist anymore. Douglas states, "Because women are now...
    In "Girls Gone Anti-Feminist", on the second page, under the heading "Fantasies of power", Douglas states, "In 1999, one year before Sommers' book came out, the top five jobs for women did not include attorney, surgeon or CEO. They were,...
  • Commented on Hegemony Blog
    I agree that television programs tend to push certain values onto their viewers and I think that the talk of Modern Family was a great example. Is that why different people tend to watch different programs? Maybe, in our minds,...
  • Posted Blog Response to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    I tend to consume more hegemonic media. The ways I use media is mostly through television. The shows I watch definitely lean towards hegemony. One of my favorite shows in particular that I think is hegemonic is Criminal Minds. As...
    I also found the topic of encoding and decoding very complex. Stuart Hall (page 170) states that, "Certain codes may, of course, be so widely distributed in a specific language community or culture, and be learned at so early an...
  • Posted Final Blog to GWSS3307 Feminist Film Studies
    Wednesday nights have been self-changing for me. Not only have I learned many things, but I have begun to view movies in a different way. The Bechdel Test is by far my favorite thing learned. My reason why is because...
  • Posted Week 4 Blog Assignment to GWSS3307 Feminist Film Studies
    Out of all readings, bell hook's, 'The Oppositional Gaze: Black Female Spectators', caught my eye the most. Personally, her argument does not coincide with how I interact with film as much as it would if I were of a different...
  • Posted Week 2 Introduction to GWSS3307 Feminist Film Studies
    Hi all! My name is Kalison Penovich. Being called Kalison or Kali is fine by me. I am from a small river town called Hudson, Wisconsin. I am a sophomore here, at the University of Minnesota and am really enjoying...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from peno0005

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page