Rachel Durkee

• Posted Last Blog to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    I have been watching the Oprah Winfrey Show my entire life. Literally, I do not have any idea when I started watching her show. The daycare lady I went to as a young child watched her religiously and I would...
  • Posted Final Paper to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    For my final paper I will be choosing the second option. I will be looking at perceptions of hip hop in society and through the organization "Hip Hop Caucus" show the positives that are coming from much of the hip-hop...
  • Commented on War Made Easy Response
    It is very dangerous in all situations, specifically those surrounding conflict, when things are not examined critically from all angles. It amazes me that people, especially those with mainstream persuasive power like those in the media choose to perpetuate notions...
  • Posted War Made Easy and the Propaganda Model to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    It is tough to watch documentaries like "War Made Easy" or read articles like "The Propaganda Model" and not become angry and critical of people in power. As is noted in "The Propaganda Model," monopolistic control combined with strategic censorship...
  • Commented on Sports Blog Prompt
    I really enjoyed your blog and can definitely relate. Your analysis of powderpuff football was exactly what it was like in my high school. I had watched football almost my entire life and know very well how to play and...
  • Commented on Being a Girl and Liking Sports
    What I was trying to convey was that I chose figure skating over hockey so as to not be labeled a "Tom-boy". It was not so much about what they thought of me because I did figure skating, rather what...
  • Posted Being a Girl and Liking Sports to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    Growing up my parents were very supporting and told me to try whatever activities I wanted, but even with this encouragement, I didn't. I suppose people would have labeled me as a "Tom boy" although I did not think of...
  • Commented on Post your DQs for Thursday here
    I had absolutely no idea that players are made to publicly get measurements of both their height and weight in preparation for the draft. What I kept saying to myself is “What does this have to do with how they...
  • Commented on Blog Prompt- Killing Us Softly
    I like your mention of sex ed programs and its importance in regards to media exposure. I am a huge proponent of implementing a more comprehensive, medically accurate sexual education program into schools, especially given the drastic hypersexualization of media....
  • Posted to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    Do people with self confidence issues actually feel that way or do they feel that way because that is what they have been told and taught to think? If mainstream media and advertisements were not constantly projecting an unattainable image...
  • Posted Make up from 10/20 to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    From what I have heard about the speaker who came to class on Thursday, I am really sad I missed it. I was gone because I am a part of a student organization called Students Today Leaders Forever. One big...
  • Commented on Post Thursday DQs here!
    It is interesting seeing the role in which hip-hop specifically has played in the “pornification” of media. It is so persistent in media that it has become status quo and many celebrities defect accusations of sexism saying women freely comply...
  • Commented on First paper
    This description makes me really want to read your paper! I am currently in an class called American political culture and am about to start writing a research paper on women's rights throughout history and I am definitely going to...
  • Commented on POST TUESDAY DQS HERE!
    It is interesting to see the author of our first reading, Gilad Padva, takes an episode of the Simpsons and uses the relationships and situations within this show to try and help explain what might be the motivation behind certain...
  • Posted "Jesusland" to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    I wrote the first paper on Ben Folds' song "Jesusland" which addresses contradictions in religion and society. Ever since we first received this assignment, I had been racking my brain thinking of potential paper topics and media texts to analyze....
  • Commented on POST THURSDAY DQS HERE!!!
    In the article "Heroes of Assimilation", the author quotes James Charlton in saying that "most political activists would define disability as a condition imposed on individuals by society". I think this is a very interesting notion, similar to race, it...
  • Commented on Blog numba 5
    I really appreciate your recognition of the white "victim". I believe that this "us" vs. "them" mentality and making racial groups the "other" perpetuates hatred and division in society. When affirmative action was instituted, something had to be done to...
  • Posted Blog #5 to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    Question: Major rap artists like Jay-Z and Snoop Dogg use the terms bitches and hoes very loosely in their lyrics. Rose states that these men do not have the right to use these terms because they are no longer surrounded...
  • Commented on http://www.timwise.org/
    Haha! I almost asked you if you knew about him after class! I will have to go read that article!...
  • Posted http://www.timwise.org/ to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    I thought I would post this blog as it is extremely pertinent to the class discussion and activity we did in class today. I learned of Tim Wise when I attended the U's Social Justice retreat. He is arguable today's...
  • Commented on Post DQs for Thursday here!
    In the Ugly Betty article, affirmative action is called into question and criticized. The article talks about the argument of a post-racial era and no longer needing things like affirmative action to hold people accountable. Just like the notion of...
  • Posted Blog #3 to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    Portrayal of masculinity in media is a topic that is so frequently brushed over, because it is often overshadowed by the ways in which women are represented. This lack of attention is why the issue for males is of such...
  • Commented on POST TUESDAY DQS HERE!
    The idea of the American Dream and its attainability is an easy thing to capitalize on. Smith mentions in his article on Black fatherhood, that this acting like racism no longer exists and everyone is capable of reaching the American...
  • Commented on Blog Post 2
    I also find it interesting how expected sexuality is in the media. We are so conditioned to advertisements and movies with sexual images, that trying to sell a product without an individual to fit the "gaze" seems absurd and a...
  • Posted Blog #2 to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    "When you find yourself choosing what the patriarchy promotes, it's worth asking yourself if it is really a choice." (B &R Manifesta) This quote, presented to us in class, beautifully sums up the main arguments within our readings this...
  • Commented on POST DQs FOR TUESDAY HERE!
    Who gets to define what it means to be a "feminist" and what forms of resistance fall under this category? How has the use of this word and its implications changed since the women’s right movement?...
  • Commented on Hegemony Blog
    I definitely agree with you in how nearly impossible it is to find an impartial source of news media. I think that is why so many people turn to satirical options like the Daily show or Colbert Report. Shows like...
  • Posted Blog #1 to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    Last night as I was watching TV with my roommate, a commercial came on with a doctor talking about things that are bad for your teeth. As she was explaining the activities, I found myself saying "Yup, I do these...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from Rachel Durkee

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page