Ellie

• Posted Last Blog to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    One very good example of convergence/fan culture is the Harry Potter series. I have read all seven of the books by J.K. Rowling multiple times and I've seen all the movies. There is a huge fan culture associated with the...
  • Commented on FINAL DQS FOR THE SEMESTER GO HERE.
    In the second article, the author describes how the relationship between Bianca and Lena was largely not shown onscreen. Their relationship was limited to a few kisses and "looking at each other" while heterosexual relationships are usually very explicit and...
  • Posted Blog post 8 to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    Sorry this is so late; I forgot we had anything due over break. I'm going to do the compare and contrast option, comparing American Girl magazine with Girl's Life magazine. I chose these because I grew up reading American Girl,...
  • Commented on War Made Easy and the Propaganda Model
    I agree that it's scary how people accept what the media tells them without question. I know during the war in Iraq, I was shocked at how little the news mentioned deaths of Iraqi citizens. Of course the deaths of...
  • Posted War Made easy response to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    The documentary "War Made Easy" is full of examples on "The Propaganda Model" by Edward Herman and Noah Chomsky. War Made Easy is about how the media tried to manipulate the public's opinion on the war in Iraq to that...
  • Posted Strangelove, or how I learned to stop bitching and love sports to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    My whole life I had never been a sports fan. My family was never into sports, although for some reason we always watch the Superbowl even though no one knows what's happening! Throughout elementary school, gym class was my least...
  • Commented on Post DQs for Tuesday here!
    Something the author didn't really elaborate on is how women athletes, in general, are portrayed. They focused on how African American women are portrayed, but not white women. I think the answer is yes from what I read, but are...
  • Commented on Response to Killing Us Softly 4
    I agree with you on how advertisers are trying to tell women that men are only attracted to thin women. What's even worse is that even though historically men are attracted to curvy women, I've had friends who get so...
  • Posted Blog Post 7 to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    On Tuesday my group analyzed an ad for Bed Head "Candy Fixations" hair products. The ad shows a woman on a red background wearing a bandeau top and licking a lollipop. The ad has the phrases "Scrunch me, prep me,...
  • Commented on Post Thursday DQs here!
    I agree with the author of the first blog article. She notes how the author of "Pornification" blames every bad thing on porn, such as "failing relationships, men's flight from intimacy, men judging women by harsh appearance standards, men liking...
  • Commented on The Remy Prompt
    I think trans people would find RuPaul's drag race empowering. It's a fun show, and it doesn't make fun of cross-dressing people, it celebrates them. Granted, I've never watched a full episode, but I still don't think trans people would...
  • Posted Blog Post 6 to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    When I read Halberstam's article on transgender/transsexual people, I was confused with the way they kept calling these people "fluid." After Remy's lecture, I understood it a little better. He explained how transsexual people "flow" outside of the traits of...
  • Commented on POST THURSDAY DQS HERE!!!
    In the article, Halberstam says that in the movie "The Crying Game," it "uses Dil's trasvestism only to re-center the white male gaze." I think she means that the transvestite character is present to attract the male gaze. This brings...
  • Commented on Blog Post 5
    I agree with you for the most part. Personally, I did not find this video offensive, but I can see why other people found it so. Think about it: there are two male corpses and dozens of female ones. One...
  • Posted Blog Post 5 to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    My first paper was on section two, I analyzed Kanye West's music video for the song "Monster." I had already listened to the song several times because I'm a huge fan of Bon Iver, but I had never seen the...
    In the article, “Heroes of Assimilation,” the author describes every type of disabled person on television. He thinks of all these portrayals as bad stereotypes, because they show a disabled person who lives normally “despite” their disability, one who is...
  • Commented on Blog numba 5
    I agree with you and Rachel, and I think that affirmative action still has far to go before it makes a real difference. Some white people talk about affirmative action causing "reverse discrimination," yet we still see people getting turned...
  • Commented on POST TUESDAY DQS HERE!
    In Tricia Rose’s article, “There are Bitches and Hoes,” she talks about how women think the “bitches and hoes” men talk about in raps don’t refer to them. She also references the Jay-Z song, “Bitches and Sisters,” where Jay-Z makes...
  • Posted Blog post 3 to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    "Did you read Roseanne as an "alternative viewer," as Bettie puts it? I agree with Bettie that Roseanne is an alternative viewer, both as a show and a character. The character Roseanne Conner is an "oppositional" decoder and very sarcastic....
  • Commented on POST TUESDAY DQS HERE!
    In Katz's article, the Construction of Violent White Masculinity, I was a little irritated that he only mentions white people being portrayed in advertisements. I know this article is kind of old, but when I see ads for athletic (violent?)...
  • Commented on Blog week 3
    I also think it's interesting how feminism is being blamed for the new raunch culture. Then when women are against something sexist, such as the "who needs brains" shirt, people try to convince them to stop protesting, because this is...
  • Posted Blog Post 2 to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    In Ariel Levy's article, "Raunch Culture," she argues that today's "post-feminist" women are serving the patriarchy under the guise of being "liberated." She uses countless examples to support her argument, from Girls Gone Wild to Playboy. The women on these...
    In the Susan J. Douglas article, "Girls Gone Anti-feminist," Douglas says now that women supposedly have it all, we "should focus...on being hot, pleasing men, competing with other women, and shopping." I completely agree with this statement. I am currently...
  • Posted Blog Post 1 to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    Hegemony and ideology are things I'm starting to notice more and more in the media I consume. I watch all different kinds of TV and movies, although I stay away from reality TV as much as possible. Above all, I...
    In Stuart Hall's article, he talks about how icons in the media are perceived by the viewer as having the same properties as what the icon represents. He uses the example of a cow, and says that if we compare...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from Ellie

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page