Semantics

• Commented on Last Blog
    Definitely,I agree with you.Sports in general means a lot of different things to different fans from diferrent places on this planet.One thing I consider sports to be is a unifying force.When my native Liberia was divided on tirbal,political and factional...
  • Posted Last Prompt Response to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    I think my enormous interest in sports,particularly soccer, is what I would like to discuss.I am a big fan of Man Chester United Football Club in London,the United Kingdom.I like the sports so much so that I have bought jerseys...
  • Commented on FINAL DQS FOR THE SEMESTER GO HERE.
    I know that Janice Radway's article,"Women Read the Romance:The interaction of Text and Context" was written almost 27 years ago in 1983.Therefore,many social,cultural and political improvements have been made in the lives of many women.Interestingly,if some women are experiencing tenderness...
  • Commented on Post DQs for Tuesday here!
    A couple of questions still running through my mind after reading "Do You Identify as a Gamer? Gender,Race,Sexuality, and Gamer Identity" include the following: How did Video games come about? I know that games are a form of new media...
  • Commented on Final paper blog response
    That's an interesting analysis you've selected to explore.I almost went in that direction after seeing an ad on one of the Media reform organizations,Media Watch posted on their website.The ad is totally insane and invading.It shows a tall man standing...
  • Posted Response to Prompt for My Final Paper to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    After thorough thinking of which option to choose, I finally settled for option 2: Media organization analysis of "Media Matters for America" which is a web-based not-for-profit progressive research and information center. It is dedicated to comprehensively monitoring, analyzing, and...
  • Commented on Post DQs for this week here!
    If the "Daily Show" is a "political Culture Jammer," according to this article, why has Jon Stewart been recognized as one of the best(if not the nation's best) journalist?...
  • Commented on War Made Easy Response
    Danny,let me comment on the referencing of Solomon regarding public perception of war that "if you are pro-war;you are objective,but when you are anti-war;you are biased." While not attempting to justify any of such positions,I want us all to remember...
  • Posted Response to War Made Easy Documentary to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    In order to respond critically to this great documentary, it's important to stress out key elements associated with journalism. To that effect, let me begin by emphasizing that there are three different views regarding what makes someone a "journalist". According...
  • Commented on Post DQs for Tuesday here.
    Two key questions became relevant to my curiosity while reading "A Propaganda Model" article:If size,concentrated ownership,and profit orientation;and advertising are some of the filters of the mass media(including the news media)that account for much of the new media bias,inaccurate reporting,and...
  • Posted Response to Blog Prompt on Sports to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    When I was growing up in my native Liberia in West Africa,the sports I loved most was soccer.I actively participated in many inter high school soccer tournaments so much so that my coach even encouraged me to play professional soccer.We...
  • Commented on Post your DQs for Thursday here
    Reactions from some of the players themselves sound stupid to me.Why would running back Travis Stephens say that "It was weird man,like a meat market" when he's voluntarily doing it? Even the confession from quarterback Mike Elkins that "I felt...
  • Commented on Ad prompt
    Yeah,Molly,and I personally also felt good about the idea that there was a white chair in the background in the ad you brought to class.The white chair would be meaningful such that having the softcups on during a woman's period...
  • Posted Response to Ad Blog Prompt for this week to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    On Tuesday,I brought to class an ad from what presumably is a gender-neutral news-related magazine,The Economist.The ad was about a white All-New Range Rover Evoque car.In the background was a sky-blue environment with sparkling red, while and purple lights surrounded...
  • Commented on Post Tuesday DQs here
    Michelle,for the most part,I think she was only defining the word, and as personal as pornography may seem to be,I agree with much of what she had to say in her article.Having said that,though,like you,I also had some troubles with...
  • Commented on Post Tuesday DQs here
    Although sex is a private choice, and not a political matter open to a majority vote as Wendy McElroy claims in her article, "XXX A Woman's Right to Pornography",I found it very contradictory and even appalling with her argument that...
  • Posted Response for Blog Prompt on Remy's Visit to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    When it comes to what surprised me about Remy's lecture,it has to do with how passionate and eloquent he sounded through out his lecture,which I admire so much.It was surprising to me because it seems to be a "taboo" to...
  • Commented on POST THURSDAY DQS HERE!!!
    It may sound naive, but I'm seriously having trouble distinguishing,or identifying these various nouns and adjectives in Judith Halberstam's article "In the Queer Time and Place". Although Merriam Webster's Online Dictionary 11th Edition defined each of them for me; easily...
  • Commented on Description of My Section Two Paper Regarding Masculinity
    That is exactly true.While researching for our papers,there is a tendency for us to put in too much information that is sometimes not needed to complete our papers.If we are able to only get the major points and focus on...
  • Posted Response to Blog Prompt for Research Paper to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    For my first paper,I wrote on Hegemony, and particularly focused on Media Hegemony.I was able to research Cable News Network (CNN)'s dominance, power, and influence it has had and continues to have over other news media in the world of...
  • Commented on Blog prompt for this week: your research
    For my first paper,I wrote on Hegemony, and particularly focused on Media Hegemony.I was able to research Cable News Network (CNN)'s dominance, power, and influence CNN has had and continues to have over other news media in the world of...
  • Commented on POST TUESDAY DQS HERE!
    Is there any justification for raping someone,anyone? Whether or not the person is a prostitute or dresses "provocatively"? I ask this question because it seems from the first reading that lawyers justify "consensual sex" as defending the rapist(s). Also, contextualizing...
  • Commented on Post DQs for Thursday here!
    Jennifer Esposito concluded her article by saying that "based on this reading of Ugly Betty as a text about race,one can surmise that we,as a nation,are not post-racial.On the contrary,race still structures our lives...." I am confused, certainly with distinguishing...
  • Commented on Roseanne and the working-class
    While I agree with Bettie that Roseanne was such a success through speaking with the public audience because the "people liked that it was about "real people",I think we need to have more of such shows in the media than...
  • Posted Blog Prompt for Week Four: Masculinity and Class to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    What is "Tough Guise"? From the video,I think "Tough Guise" is a mask that men wear as a disguise for being tough . In the video when Jackson Katz asked young men what it meant to be male,he got replies...
  • Commented on POST THURS DQS HERE!
    Professor Julie Bettie said in her article, "Class Dismissed....?" that class inflation typifies the world as seen on Television.After reading that article,I have not stopped wondering: How is class determined? Is social construction of class identical to that of race...
  • Posted Response to Blog Prompt for Week Three:Feminism to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    Susan's argument in the "Girls Gone Anti-Feminist" is that the media are promoting false images of the power of women, suggesting that women's equality is now achieved. Therefore, there is no need for women's equality advocacy. She supports this argument...
  • Commented on Blog prompt for week three: feminism!
    Susan’s argument in the “Girls Gone Anti-Feminist” is that the media are promoting false images of the power of women, suggesting that women’s equality is now achieved. Therefore, there is no need for women’s equality advocacy. She supports this argument...
    Are Women truly,honestly defined by their bodies as Susan J. Douglas said in her "Girls Gone Anti-Feminist" article? If they are,what yardstick is used to reach that definition?...
  • Commented on Hegemonic Society
    The fact that you confessed that you consumed more counterhegemonic media than hegemonic but that you can not force yourself to believe that counterhegemonic media dominates your consumption is delusional in my opinion.While I might agree that you "can not...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from Semantics

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page