kocer004

• Commented on Last Blog
    This is so true, Oprah is amazing, and has literally transformed talk shows to fit in with today's consumer society. She is the prime example of a compelling talk show host, and is able to relate to a very large...
  • Posted Last Blog to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    Many books series are very good examples of fan culture and convergence culture. For example, The inheritance cycle is a popular fantasy book series about dragons, most commonly known for the first book Eragon. The first book was made into...
  • Commented on Post DQs for Tuesday here
    While reading the article “Buying into American Idol” I encountered many aspects that were questionable, and many aspects that dealt with future change that have already taken place in American media. Towards the end, the author talks about gossip,...
  • Posted Make-up blog post week 3 feminism/post feminism to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    In Susan J. Douglas's article "Girls Gone Anti-Feminist" she argues that the media is falsely representing women as in power and equal to men in both social, economic and political aspects. Douglas supports her argument with evidence from a variety...
  • Commented on Blog post 8
    I really like this topic too! You could look at the articles we were reading the previous weeks on advertising, i'm sure that would work for your topic and how the magazine is working to instill those values/ideologies into girls...
  • Posted Final Paper Topic to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    For the final paper, I decided to chose the first option and compare and contrast two media texts, the first showing how the media can change people ideas on the food industry, and the other showing how the food industry...
  • Commented on Post DQs for this week here!
    My question is from the article "Political Culture Jamming", where Warner described how The Daily Show fits into the model of culture jamming by rebelling against the dominant political messages presented in the news. What was confusing to me about...
  • Commented on War Made Easy and the Propaganda Model
    I completely agree. When I turn the news on I want to listen to people who are going to tell me about current events, without bias opinions. After watching the documentary it really makes you think about how your views...
  • Posted Response to War Made Easy to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    In the documentary War Made Easy, it discusses how ownership of the media has changed the coverage of news relating to war. This is especially prevalent during the period when government officials are trying to gain public support for going...
  • Commented on Blog Response
    I totally agree with you, sports channels like ESPN can be very interesting, if you take the time to actually watch them and get involved in whats going on. I never enjoyed watching sports, but my boyfriend is a sports...
  • Posted Sports to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    Growing up, I move around a lot and was home-schooled until my family moved to Minnesota when I was in 3rd grade, so I was never particularly interested in sports because I was not around other people who did them...
  • Commented on Prius Ad
    It is interesting that the ad is targeted towards males, and uses masculinity to draw them in. What caught my attention in the way you described the ad was how accepting it was for the man to be supposedly disposing...
  • Commented on Post DQs for Tuesday here!
    In regards to the article Pornographic Eroticism and Sexual Grotesquerie in Representations of African American Sportswomen, what do the terms ‘pornographic eroticism’ and ‘athletic eroticism’ mean? Later in the Article, the authors discuss black female athletes being transformed into ‘Ghetto...
  • Posted Response to Killing Us Softly 4 to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    While watching the film killing us softly, it really made me consider how big of a role advertisements play in my life. Kilbourne talked a lot about advertisements sending messages to us unconsciously, and how many people believe they are...
  • Commented on Post Thursday DQs here!
    In the article "The Pornography of Everyday Life" Caputi mentions a Cosmopolitan article that shows a woman lying on top of a man in bed and that the theme is that men entertain a fantasy of of a girlfriend play...
  • Commented on blog respons 10/22
    good point to talk about stereotypes of transgenders, it would have been interesting to see multiple reactions to transgenders and actually see how the media represents them because this is such a new topic to discuss in a class format....
  • Posted Reaction to Remy's Class Discussion to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    Remy's discussion in class today really made me re-think my perceptions of gender, sex and sexuality. When he talked about sex and gender he made it very clear how broad the terms actually were in relation to sexuality. What stuck...
  • Commented on POST THURSDAY DQS HERE!!!
    In the article the author mentions from the beginning he is going to describe three views of the transgender gaze through three different movies, how are the male and female gaze incorporated into into this description? The author mentions the...
  • Commented on Blog prompt advice and research
    Thats a really good idea to use youtube for research, how did you search you media? Did you search the show then try and use another word that represented the framework you used to analyze your show? Never thought of...
  • Posted Blog Post- Researching for Papers to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    For my section two paper, I wanted to analyze a show that I felt like I had a lot of information on, so, when deciding which media text to use, I picked a show that I frequently watch; Millionaire Matchmaker....
  • Posted Further Marginalized Minority Groups to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    In Esposito's article about Ugly Betty she talks about affirmative action and how "whites" have termed it "reverse discrimination". She explains that reverse discrimination usually occurs when a white individual feels unjustly treated because of the color of their skin....
  • Commented on Roseanne and the working-class
    It was really interesting the way you looked at Roseanne paying the bills as a sign of dominant female status in this sitcom. I never thought about how finances played a role in tv shows, and it is true that...
  • Posted What is a Tough Guise? to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    The Tough Guise refers to the front that males put up, particularly youth that make them a real man. As discussed in Katz article, Advertising and the Construction of Violent White Masculinity, As well as in the movie Though Guise,...
  • Commented on POST THURS DQS HERE!
    In the article by Richard Butsch, the author talked a lot about a new era of sitcoms being aired on broadcast network television that had family structures of lower-middle class blue collar workers. One thing that stood out about these...
  • Commented on Blog Post 1
    I really liked reading about how gay men a portrayed in the media in your post. In my opinion, I think that the media is trying to portray gay men as either funny, or extremely good looking persuade society into...
  • Commented on POST DQs FOR TUESDAY HERE!
    In the article "More Than Baby Mamas” the author talks about black women being empowered through hip-hop, yet are not using this power to its full potential. The author believes that black women rappers should rap more about black motherhood,...
  • Posted Media Consumption to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    I think I tend to consume media in a more hegemonic way because most of the TV shows that I watch, or radio stations I listen to or even magazines I purchase, all tend to have one thing in common;...
    Through this week’s discussion and readings, it has made me think a lot about how media has affected my own life and the ideologies I have attained. Also, thus far into the class I have come to realize that media...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from kocer004

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page