racheloh

• Posted Fan culture/media convergence blog to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    Immediately I thought of Facebook when trying to come up with an idea for this blog post. Facebook has become a strange alternate reality for millions of people, and is a virtual community that has seeped into almost every aspect...
  • Commented on Blog Post Final Paper
    Awesome topic!! I think researching the effects of media on child development is very vital because of how pertinent media is in our lives. Especially media that is meant to entertain because we CHOOSE to include that media in our...
  • Posted Final paper blog response to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    Sorry this is late!!!!!! 1. What option you chose I am choosing Option 2: Media organization analysis 
2. What specific texts and/or organization you are focusing on
 I am focusing on the website/organization called About-face.org. It is an organization that...
  • Commented on war made easy
    Totally agree with you about getting forceful with news stations but how? I feel like every effort made by citizens these days are withdrawn before they can make any dent or change. I wish there were true representatives of the...
  • Commented on Post DQs for Thursday here!
    Even though I found the article interesting-- I think it's a moot point... newspapers are dying, they will die, it's a bummer for many reasons. There is a lot of valid, worthwhile, and correct information on the internet, sometimes it...
  • Commented on Sports
    I agree with you that the media under-represents women that just play sports for fun-- women are always portrayed shopping, or cleaning, or cooking, or doing things society deems "feminine". We are sort of trained to think of guys as...
  • Posted Sports Blog Prompt to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    Neither of my parents have ever been much into sports, they both got teased a lot growing up--my mom was shy and my dad was a "nerd". Mind you, they're the smartest most wonderful people I know. But, they did...
  • Commented on Killing Us Softly 4 Prompt
    I think it's good that Kilbourne keeps fighting to expose advertising in this way, and create awareness around the issue. She may have a tendency to under-represent men in her arguments but I do not believe that this type of...
  • Posted Something to wrap your legs.. er brain around. to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    The advertisement(s) I brought in were for SKYY vodka. One was from In Style magazine and the other two were from Cosmopolitan magazine. They are all very typical/obvious in subscription to the idea that sex sells. The first ad from...
  • Commented on Remy Blog Response
    This is wonderful. I agree with the overwhelming part of trying to define yourself, and trying to categorize emotions and desires so that we can communicate who we are.... what a difficult/scary/strange thing to do. A lot of it has...
  • Posted Transgender discussion to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    I found this topic & Remy's lecture very interesting in that it seems to deflate these bubbles we place masculinity, femininity, gender-roles, sexuality, and even sex in. The point and most important thing I have taken out of the lecture...
  • Commented on POST THURSDAY DQS HERE!!!
    In the transgendered look pieces, the author (Halberstam?), examines closely Boys Don't Cry. When she is analyzing the different scenes with Lana and Brandon she makes the point that the Lana's bedroom scene provides a transgendered gaze and that the...
  • Commented on Blog post #5
    I completely agree about the importance of making an outline-- especially to improve time management. Also, I can relate to frustrations about narrowing a topic-- sometimes it seems super hard to do because you must pick this narrowed topic and...
  • Posted Feminism and Sex and the City to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    I wrote my section two paper on the representations of feminism in the show Sex and The City. I brought up three examples of how the characters' lives and personalities reflect feminist thought. I chose Sex and The City because...
  • Posted Blog numba 5 to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    "In Esposito's article about Ugly Betty she talks about affirmative action and how "whites" have termed it "reverse discrimination". She explains that reverse discrimination usually occurs when a white individual feels unjustly treated because of the color of their skin....
    From the recaption of the Ugly Betty episode in Esposito's article it seemed like affirmative action was being portrayed as a bad thing (in the show). I am wondering if there are other representations of affirmative action (or lack thereof)...
  • Posted Blog week 3 to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    In Illyka Damen's piece Feminism, the Mainstream Media, and Pop Culture, she is trying to expose the tendency and blindness of labeling feminism incorrectly. She argues that even though feminists in the 60's and 70's "pressed for sexual liberation" it...
    The question I kept asking myself while reading Raunch Culture, was "what is the incentive of this? What is the goal for women?" Is it acceptance? Equality? Power? And if so, what sort of logic is it to think that...
  • Commented on Blog Response
    I really like what you said about media formulating opinions for us-- I think that is the basis of hegemony. To embed ideologies so deeply that we make our daily decisions based off of what makes money for the power...
  • Posted Blog Entry #1 to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    I am finding that with age, the less hegemonic media I consume... yet, if I take into account all the media I come into contact with or seek out on the regular--it tends to be mass media. I read Glamour,...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from racheloh

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page