stern161

• Posted Last blog prompt to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    When thinking about convergence culture and fan culture the first thing that comes to mind is the Twilight series. I have read all four of the books in the series and seen all of the movies that have come out...
  • Commented on FINAL DQS FOR THE SEMESTER GO HERE.
    After reading Janice Radway's article and looking over some of the other discussion questions that have been posted, I am noticing that a lot of people don't get why these women are reading these romance novels to "escape". I am...
  • Commented on Post DQs for Tuesday here
    I thought it was very interesting to read the part about the different types of tv viewers that exist. Right away I tried identifying myself as one of them but then read on and realized that the type of tv...
  • Commented on make up blog prompt- final paper
    I read your paper and I think you did a good job at analyzing your media texts and getting your point across. I think you should consider looking at Lull's hegemony piece and Miranda's article about Rihanna and eminems album...
  • Posted Blog Make up to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    Please answer the following questions: Do you tend to consume more hegemonic or counterhegemonic media? In what ways do you use media in hegemonic and counterhegemonic ways? What ideologies do you see being perpetuated in the media you consume? Give...
  • Commented on Blog post 8
    I think that this will be a very interesting topic to explore. A bit of advice, as Melody started to note above, is that you could definitely incorporate how these two examples affect children. I am doing something similar for...
  • Posted Blog Post Final Paper to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    For my final paper, I am choosing to do option 2. I am going to focus on the Parent Television Council (PTC) and specifically look at the messages and how sex, violence, language and behavior are used in two separate...
  • Commented on Post DQs for Thursday here!
    The point being made about how the newspaper is dying and that it will likely soon vanish is something that has definitely crossed my mind and has also come up in a couple conversations I've had with others. I think...
  • Commented on Being a Girl and Liking Sports
    I completely agree with you about how you liked to play sports with the boys but also enjoyed doing "girl" things with the girls. This is exactly how I've been my entire life. Recently, when I studied abroad for a...
  • Posted Sports Blog Prompt to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    Growing up in high school I loved watching and playing sports. I played volleyball, basketball, and softball. Even though our sports teams received a lot of support from the community and other students (including males), it seemed as if they...
  • Commented on Post your DQs for Thursday here
    I think that the argument Oates is making regarding the NFL draft comparing to slavery trades in the past is really obnoxious. I mean, I guess I didn't realize that the potential NFL players have to publicly display their bodies...
  • Commented on Response to Killing Us Softly 4
    I completely agree with you about how much of an impact advertisements have on my life, either consciously or subconsciously. It's weird to think that I process and am influenced by ads without even thinking about them directly or knowing...
  • Posted Killing Us Softly Blog Prompt to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    My initial reaction to the Killing Us Softly: 4 documentary was that I never realized how much I DIDN'T analyze the meanings of ads. I can remember myself, prior to taking this class, paging through magazines aimlessly not paying attention...
  • Commented on Post Thursday DQs here!
    I was very interested and surprised after reading "The Pornography of Everyday Life" by Jane Caputi. I guess I never actually realized or wanted to admit that pornography is seen everywhere and all the time. A lot of the examples...
  • Posted Remy Blog to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    What surprised you about the lecture and info you gathered from Remy's talk? 2. How did Remy tie Halberstam's theory into his talk? 3. What themes from our course thus far did you see weaving through our discussion on transgender...
  • Commented on POST THURSDAY DQS HERE!!!
    Judith Halberstam mentions in, "In a Queer Time and Place" that after the exposure of a transgendered character in a work of media, the audience naturally reevaluates what happened prior to this moment in the performance, what is happening at...
  • Commented on Feminism and Sex and the City
    I definitely agree with you that it is hard to conduct a good argument in such a short paper but at the same time think it's good that we are given a guideline to stick to and the advice to...
  • Posted Blog Entry #5 to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    This week I want you to write about your own research for this class. I want you all to see what each other is doing for the section papers and also have you think through your research process. You may...
    I took a class about Disabilities a couple years ago and learned that there is a very thin line regarding the definition of having a disability. I think that most of society is confused, including myself, when trying to decifer...
  • Commented on Blog #5
    I agree with your answer to this discussion question. I think that using the terms "bitches" and "hos" has become so normal that rap artists just do it because they see that it sells records. Since it has already proven...
  • Posted Blog Post to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    In the article about Alicia Keys music video for "Unthinkable" the author notes that Drake wrote the song and sang back up vocals. If Drake had of been featured in this video with a white woman how would have the...
    After watching the Alicia Keys video "Unthinkable" and reading the blog post by Thea Lim, I am wondering how the video would have changed if it would have been white men threatening and being aggressive towards a black boyfriend (given...
  • Commented on Week four blog prompt response
    I agree with what you are saying about men and how this problem has escalated. Although, I think that it has much more to do with media than you are explaining. I think that yes, if men were to stand...
  • Posted Tough Guise Blog to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    What is tough guise? Tough guise is the front that men put up about extreme masculinity. Men learn throughout their lives, starting very early on, that they are suppose to be tough and not show emotion. Media has a very...
  • Commented on Blog #2
    I think that you make a very valid point when explaining enlightened sexism and how Douglas explains this concept. Saying that it gets men to notice you and women to envy you is exactly the definition that I got when...
  • Posted Blog Entry Week 3: Feminism to Media Literacy Section 001 Fall 2011
    Susan J. Douglas- Girls Gone Anti-Feminist Douglas is trying to argue that feminism is over, we have achieved much of what feminist have tried to achieve throughout the last 50 years. Now we must focus on sexism. Instead of using...
    After reading "Girls Gone Anti-Feminism" I am wondering whether enlightened sexism is a concept that women are aware of in today's society. Personally, I have realized that women's rise in society has been the result of feminism creating an environment...
    While reading the section titled, "A Cultural Studies Approach to Media: Theory" I started to think more about one of the issues that is raised in this section regarding how "our national and international cultural production is so largely controlled...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from stern161

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page