wlas0006

• Commented on Real or fake side effects?
    Yes, stress is a major cause of illness for people especially when they are under chronic stress. And as you mention, some people cope better with stress and it has a less corrosive effect on health. You mention the nocebo...
  • Commented on Liar, Liar... Why Aren't your Pants on Fire?
    Yes Darien, the polygraph is unreliable and you do a nice job of pointing that out. I also like Ekman's work very much and think he has done the best research to date that examines a measurable way to detect...
  • Commented on Does Psychological Therapy Work? Chapter 16
    Ooh I so love Radio Lab when it latches on to a cool topic like serial killers! The reason he did it Annamarie is that he enjoyed it! He's a psychopath. He takes only the arousal and thrill of capturing...
  • Commented on Christopher Hitchens and Scientific Thinking
    Hitchens is the best! I read his book Hitch last year and really enjoyed it. What a life. Wouldn't be wonderful to be in his circle of friends. Very sad that he is gone. A real loss to the radical...
  • Commented on Average? Or Extraordinary?
    You may have misunderstood the text slightly here Phil in the way you interpret average. The text, I believe, is referring to the averaging or blending of faces like I showed the class on the website that could combine two...
  • Commented on Sara Beth
    Yes Meredith, the ADA and IDEA have been rare political acts that have helped our country understand and become more compassionate toward people with disabilities. I feel that not only do the disabled benefit from the help and opportunity to...
  • Commented on Mind, consciousness, soul
    Wow, Trevor, some deep stuff here. Too bad no one else has commented. This is the kind of thing I love to talk about with friends late into the night. Some people do dismiss the notion of a soul given...
  • Commented on Parlez-vous Bilingual? Reasons to learn a second language
    That was a really great article from the NY Times Allison! I agree that the ability to speak another language is a huge advantage for people and it seems like the science is there now to back it up. One...
  • Commented on IQ Score Matter?
    I believe that IQ matters a great deal in job success and for other life outcomes such as health and well being. The better our minds are at solving problems and integrating and using complex information, the better our chances...
  • Commented on Hypnosis
    The subject of hypnosis is interesting in the way it can alter consciousness Jonghwa. I have always wondered what exactly is going in in the sense that suggestions from another person can change our awareness. Some research has found that...
  • Commented on Harvards "Implicit Association Test"...hmmm...
    It is interesting isn't it Athena when we get results like this from the IAT. I am not surprised. It appears from the histogram you display that most people tend to react just as you had. Did the IAT ask...
  • Commented on The Milgram Study
    Yes Daniella, the Milgram study often affects people strongly since we don't often question authority because we feel that someone in an authority position should know what they are doing and are trustworthy. Now that you know that this is...
  • Commented on Combating Prejudice
    This is a classic study Roberto, that I often refer to in my social psychology class. Back in the 50s it was believed that prejudiced people simply lacked the understanding and contact necessary to foster good relations with other ethnic...
  • Commented on Parenting Styles
    Lots of good stuff here Radhika! I had not heard that authoritarian parents might contribute to procrastination before. Might explain why I still struggle with this. My father was very much an authoritarian parent. I was often in trouble never...
  • Commented on Self-Control - Nature or Nurture?
    Yes, drug addiction and mental illness are often found together and there is now substantial evidence that both are heritable conditions. This should not be surprising since variations in genetic makeup from person to person should explain part of the...
  • Commented on Liar Liar Pants on Fire!
    I hope I never am in a situation where I would have to take a lie detector test! I would probably incriminate myself simply because I was nervous. Most research tells us that people are very bad at detecting lies....
  • Commented on Personal Connections To..... An Ad?
    That is a really great commercial Carolyn! I watched it three times just to see how they did it. I think you did a nice job describing the emotional content of the video and that is what really sticks with...
  • Commented on Reading minds... commercially
    Ha! Funny post Max. I often hear that companies hire psychologists to figure out what really motivates people to buy things but I have never actually met one who does. Perhaps they keep them locked up in some secret cave...
  • Commented on What are YOU not telling YOU
    Cool that you took the IAT Fallon. It is a little confusing at first and that might explain why you did not get the results you expected. You might want to try it a few more times to get the...
  • Commented on ACT? SAT? IDK!
    This is a really controversial topic Dalton that affects so many students every year. I agree that often these one time tests may not be completely accurate at predicting how well a student will do in college but it may...
  • Commented on Baby Einstein: Dont let him teach your babies.
    This is a well done post Ashley! You post a nice video and supporting articles and get right to the point asking several important questions about screen time for children. I have to admit that I too was suckered by...
  • Commented on Not hungry... or...
    Great questions here Anna! I can see that your post has attracted plenty of comments since this is such a common problem for young women. Although I am not an expert on eating disorders, I know that women are more...
  • Commented on Please keep your distance
    Yes Chris, this is a very interesting phenomenon and one that psychologists often look at in terms of how comfortable two people are together. They typically involve studies that are either looking at stereotypes and prejudice or interpersonal relationships. An...
  • Commented on You RACIST!
    Creative looking post Kimberlea. The IAT is a great tool for measuring some of the biases we may have toward certain groups that go deeper than what we might say in public or on a self-report survey. The results don't...
  • Commented on To soft, to hard, or Just right?
    Andrew, you write a pretty good summary of Baumrind's parenting styles and describe about what to expect from children of these parents. I thought the cartoon was quite funny as well. What type of parents do you have? It would...
  • Commented on Enough is Enough
    Not sure if there is any good studies to refer you to here Joseph. I think students grow fatigued as the semester goes on. People do a lot of socializing and then they get behind in their work. Students also...
  • Commented on As if I needed to be more critical...
    Nice example of the availability heuristic Allison. I had not heard this one before and I might just steal for future use in another class! Its always great to see when students are able to apply topics from PSych 1001...
  • Commented on Emoti-cons. :(
    Yes Emily, I do think it takes away from face to face communication since we relay on the subtle cues to infer what people really feel about what they are saying. Texting is a great way to get in touch...
  • Commented on The other world
    I believe that animals dream but I guess it would be difficult to prove since dreaming is such a private experience. Nevertheless, there is no reason to believe that dreaming is unique to humans and it is probably a necessary...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from wlas0006