hillm109

• Posted Trying to study? Don't let em' get their foot in the door to Section 24 PSY 1001pub
    What should I do? Should I study for that big test coming up? Should I chill with my friends? Maybe I should just disappear. This is one of the most common and difficult decisions us college students have to make...
  • Favorited Military doctors and the ethical questions that they face on Section 24 PSY 1001pub
  • Commented on Military doctors and the ethical questions that they face
    Interesting post. It reminded me of the scandal at Penn Sate. In a nutshell, one of the football assistants sexually assaulted young boys while working under the facilities. Supposedly the head coach and higher ups had heard to an extent...
  • Posted Why are drunk people more friendly? to Section 24 PSY 1001pub
    (Make-up for disc.11/17) Throughout lecture, it seemed evident throughout all the twin studies and adopted studies that genetics plays the primary role in determining personality. In one case, two twins were separated at birth, yet many years later both shared...
  • Commented on The Social Personality
    Interesting link articles. I read "Extraversion predicts heavy drinking in college students". I was surprised to read that introverts typically show higher levels of cortical arousal. One would think that introverts would show less arousal since they tend be less...
  • Commented on Actions speak louder than words!
    Nice post Chris. This reminds me of poker players. Imagine if every time a poker player got good cards, he jumped up and down and yelled "yes", he might give away that he has a good hand. That’s why, poker...
    Nice post Chris. This reminds me of poker players. Imagine if every time a poker player got good cards, he jumped up and down and yelled "yes!!!", he might give away that he has a good hand. Thats why, poker...
  • Posted Pump it! (not so loud) to Section 24 PSY 1001pub
    (Makeup for missed discussion on Sep. 29) In the previous blog, avira001 discussed the different parts of the ear, more specifcally the pinna. With out a doubt, every part of our auditory system plays an important role in recieving, conducting,...
  • Commented on Born Without Emotions?
    Although, I have not watched the show, the blog post is very interesting. This is a good example of nature vs nurture. I wonder if Psychopaths such as Dexter are brought up in a negative environment or encountered a traumatic...
  • Commented on Born Without Emotions?
  • Commented on Sensation and Perception: Hearing
    Nice blog. I like the ear illustration! I think the ear is extremely fascinating. Humans have extensive hearing. We can hear the sound of a paper clip hit the ground. For the most part, this is good thing, however sometimes...
  • Posted A Game of Emotions to Section 24 PSY 1001pub
    As an avid Minneosota Wild fan, I was devistated upon hearing of Wild's defensman, Derek Boogaard's death. Standing at 6"8, 265 pounds, the "Boogyman" (as he was known) was an ultamite intimidating force that ensured justice on the ice....
  • Commented on Homosexuality, Nature or Nurture?
    I think this is an intersting theory. As you mentioned, It seems to deal well with male homosexuality, however its does not seem to acount for female homosexuality. If this gene is responsible for homosexuality, it would seem that there...
  • Posted History or His story? The role of media on memory to Section 24 PSY 1001pub
    "If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" -Joseph Gobbels (Reich Minister of Propoganda in Natzi Germany). Toward the end of Ch. 7, Lilienfeld discusses false memories. More specifically, he...
  • Posted A Glimpse from the Past to Section 24 PSY 1001pub
    Karma is not the only thing that can come back to hurt you. In some cases, more experienced learners are at a disadvantage for learning new information. This is known as proactive interference, whereby old information can interfere with the...
    This is an very interesting topic. The implications of such a study are potentially huge. If either side is proven, its results could have major effects regarding the view of homosexuality and how it is viewed in society. While both...
  • Posted Classical Conditioning in The Office to Section 24 PSY 1001pub
    Chapter 6 discusses classical conditioning- a form of learning in which a neutral stimulus paired with another stimulus elicits an automatic response. This observation was first made by Ivan Pavolov. In his experiment, the dog would only salivate upon exposure...
  • Posted Bypassing Broca's: How elementary Hebrew helped a man save his language to Section 24 PSY 1001pub
    Aphasia- a loss or reduction of language following brain damage typically a result of a stroke. Chapter 3 discusses the different areas of the brain associated with language. To my surprise, there is more than one area affiliated with language...
    What if our brain was one big mush with no specific functions in specialized areas? Chapter 3 would certainly be easier. However, there could be negative reprecussions as well. Damage to the brain would have a variety of negative effects...
  • Posted Bypassing Broca's: How elementary Hebrew helped a man save his language to hillm109
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from hillm109