E. Carriere

• Posted Abnormal Psychology and Industrialization to Section 24 PSY 1001pub
    (make-up for missed discussion section on 12/08) While listening to the latest series of lectures by Dr. Grove on abnormal psychology, I was struck by statistics. According to the Nithsdale Schizophrenia Surveys, out of the schizophrenic population, 78% are unmarried...
  • Favorited Our conscious awareness is a function of our ability to speak... on In the 'verse of 1001
  • Commented on Taurus: Stubborn, Dependable, Stable, and Possessive.
    I'd never thought of astronomy as tying into a placebo effect. That's a really interesting overlap... While I've never understood the draw to horoscopes, I've always been a big fan of UFO sightings and cryptozoology, but I can't even say...
  • Commented on Deindividuated Hipsters? How Ironically Ironic.
    It's now clear to me that I wasn't precise enough in my original language. "Scootch," "bustling," and "squeeze" sound benign enough, while these individuals were actually pretty forceful. Someone dropped his drink in their wake, and most of those who...
  • Commented on Does Optimism = Less Stress?
    Thanks for the plug! Yes, I do think one can be too optimistic. I see both pessimism and optimism as tipping preferences in outlook on uncertainty, realistic—or skeptical—being in the neutral middle. If that's the case, then either pessimism or...
  • Posted Deindividuated Hipsters? How Ironically Ironic. to Section 24 PSY 1001pub
    This weekend, I had the opportunity to attend a concert at First Avenue. Social psychology being on my mind, people-watching took on a special shade. More than just the individuals meandering through the dimly lit, downtown danceteria, I noticed them...
  • Posted em + pathos to Section 24 PSY 1001pub
    (Make-up for discussion group on Thursday, November 3rd) To answer a central question of "Similarity, Attraction and the Art of Blushing," no, I do not really want to look like the object of my affection 25 years from now! What...
  • Posted Health and Happiness to Section 24 PSY 1001pub
    According to a section of Chapter 11 of our text, the common sentiment "I wish you health and happiness" may be flirting with redundancy; it seems health and happiness are tied at the hip, correlation/causation kerfuffles aside. A package...
  • Favorited What's the underlying cause? on Section 24 PSY 1001pub
  • Favorited Homosexuality, Nature or Nurture? on Section 24 PSY 1001pub
  • Favorited Nature vs. Nurture: Self-identity questions on Section 24 PSY 1001pub
  • Commented on Homosexuality, Nature or Nurture?
    Hypothetically, there could be a correlative gene for female homosexuality that, when present in men, lends itself to virility. I don't, however, know of any observations of such a gene. It's been hypothesized that sexual orientation and identity in men...
  • Commented on Apparently We Have More to Fear than Fear Itself
    I haven't read enough of Jung to know whether he would explicitly agree or disagree with evolutionary psychologists regarding fear as embedded in a genetic code, but such embedding has always been something like what I imagine Jung is talking...
  • Posted Apparently We Have More to Fear than Fear Itself to Section 24 PSY 1001pub
    Something I never thought much of in relation to memory and learning is phobias, and I was intrigued when our text ushered in the topic in that context. It's true that people aren't always afraid of thing with which they've...
  • Posted I Don't Know; Google It to Section 24 PSY 1001pub
    (make up for October 20th discussion section) The dynamics and workings of memory storage are endlessly fascinating. Every time I think of it, I always find myself inevitably drawn to the same place: what implications does memory modification--or maybe just...
    Science continues to grapple with the same question you pose: if the biological end of sex is procreation, and homosexual sex does not lead to procreation, why is homosexuality as prevalent as ever? There are a good number of theories,...
  • Favorited Gasping at beauty on In the 'verse of 1001
  • Commented on Blame it on the A a a a a Amygdala
    Well that's an alarming statistic, but interesting. I never thought about the amygdala and impulsivity. Now I find myself wondering how involved it is in developmental disorders such as ADHD, in which the ability to reign in impulses lags behind....
  • Commented on Nature vs. Nurture: Self-identity questions
    This is excellent subject matter, Darin. I find the necessary construction of inner narratives to be endlessly interesting. Every individual takes part in it, but you as an adopted individual have a very unique perspective. This process also occurs collectively...
  • Commented on Amygdalae(s) Realize
    This is off topic, but does anyone know what the little star means next to entries? I accidentally clicked the one by mine, and now it says 2 by it......
  • Favorited Amygdalae(s) Realize on Section 24 PSY 1001pub
  • Commented on What's the underlying cause?
    In light of both empirical studies on differences in brain physiology and personal accounts from trans individuals (identifying as the opposite gender from the youngest conscious memories), I am inclined to hypothesize that it is not exactly the nurture you...
  • Posted Amygdalae(s) Realize to Section 24 PSY 1001pub
    While the amygdalae are probably most famous for their association with fear, I can't help but wonder about the enormous ripple effect that would occur if it were altered in various ways. Observations have been made, of course (monkeys and...
  • Commented on Nature, Nurture, and Spontaneity
    Thank you! I would love to discuss some more ideas and maybe even get some reading recommendations to help me deepen my own understanding on a given topic. I look forward to it....
    As far as the empiricism takes us, there is not much, if anything at all, to suggest homosexuality is "produced" by nurture. Consider the studies done on male children who were born with deformed genitals—genitals then surgically reconstructed to be...
  • Commented on HONEY BADGER DON'T CARE!!!!!
    Yes! I approve of this reference! I looked for resources regarding this magnificent beast and the amygdala, but could not find any. You may have more luck searching for articles on the differences in the amygdalae of predatory animals vs....
    That's just it: I am pondering the consequences of humans' tendency to think categorically. I expect it will be something of a common thread in most of my entries. I think I'm so caught up with it because of a...
  • Commented on Neural Plasticity
    Neuroplasticity is fascinating. Every once in a while there will be a medical mystery involving it that forces to people to admit just how little they know about what the brain is capable of. I wonder if Jodie's recovery was...
  • Posted Nature, Nurture, and Spontaneity to Section 24 PSY 1001pub
    I ran into this problem in my last post on differing levels of analysis--the problem of polarizing perspectives and the importance of reciprocity between perspectives to maintain whole understanding. It's easy to see why this comes to mind immediately when...
  • Commented on Free Will - Determinism Debate, a Scientific Approach
    Nice post. I know I'm reading something interesting when halfway through I want to interject, "but chaos theory...!" It's certainly relevant to psychology considering a lot of debates about the molecular level of analysis lead here. I found myself in...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from E. Carriere