gavi0100

• Posted Functional Fixedness: Not Just For Boxes, Tacks, and Candles to Psy1001 Section 08 Spring 2012
    Over the course of PSY1001, I gained a deeper understanding of how the human mind thinks and operates. Oddly though, out of all the grand concepts we learned, from emotion to intelligence, I continue to be fascinated by two little...
  • Commented on Riding the Judgmental Bus
    I find myself making the same sort of "social commentary" that you're describing. My friends and I like to people-watch at the mall, so to some degree, this can be kind of fun. However, we should be careful about our...
  • Commented on
    It seemed like the participants who prided themselves most on non-conformity were the quickest to conform. My guess is that their pride was compensating for their innate desire to fit in. The study was really interesting because the task of...
  • Commented on Friends Characters and the Big 5
    Interesting analysis! I never considered the kind of thought that goes into creating a character, especially such iconic ones like the cast of Friends or the Simpsons family as we saw in lecture. It's interesting how we all have some...
  • Commented on Correlation between self-esteem and personality
    I didn't even think about empathy relating to self-esteem. It makes sense when you think about it. If a person is not very empathetic, it's hard for them to relate to people and feel those positive emotions that come from...
  • Commented on The Tapeworm Diet: Natural or Insane?
    Yuck. The people who go on this "diet" are seriously misinformed. For one thing, they don't need to waste thousands of dollars on pills and a trip to Mexico for a "diet" that is illegal for a reason; tapeworm larvae...
  • Posted Do You Have "Dazzling Smiler" On Your Resume? to Psy1001 Section 08 Spring 2012
    As if job hunting wasn't difficult enough these days, let's add another factor to that resumé: physical attractiveness. While there is no law prohibiting discrimination regarding physical attractiveness, some studies have shown that these superficial biases exist when choosing...
  • Commented on Cortisol: The Last Step Towards Eradicating Phobias?
    Interesting the placebo effect was nonexistent for that study. It shows that fear, an emotion, indeed has a neurological basis. Makes me wonder what other things we can manipulate through a simple intake of hormones and other biological compounds. I...
  • Commented on Who has a little Self-control?
    Self-control is tough at any age! That's an interesting study about the cookies, and I've also heard of the marshmallow one too (side note: cookies > marshmallows). I think self-control is a function of the prefrontal cortex, which is associated...
  • Commented on Does Parenting Styles Shape Us as Individuals?
    Parenting style definitely shapes how we are, for better and for worse. Our parents provide our very first moments of social interaction. Sometimes, though, I wonder how much of my personality as an infant affected how my parents treated me....
  • Commented on It seems everyone is 'dying to be thin' these days...
    Eating disorders tough to treat because they are both physiological and psychological. It doesn't help that popular media is constantly bombarding us with messages about celebrities who are too thin or too fat, or the latest fad diet or workout....
  • Commented on Social development in infants
    From reading your blog post, taking this course, and a human development course, I have a better understanding of infant capabilities. While it seems like all babies do is cry, eat, and poop, we as a scientific community are learning...
  • Commented on Being in the dementia ward
    I work at an assisted living home and occasionally care for the residents that have forms of dementia like Alzheimer's. It is sad to see the progression of the disease. For me, it's especially saddening to have a really good...
  • Commented on Hot stars in Liquor ad
    I think it's really interesting that, despite other cultural differences between America and Korea, the prevalence of "sexy advertising" can be seen in both countries. I think the Law of Contiguity comes into play here, in which one idea (liquor)...
  • Commented on Application of Operant Conditioning: Rat Basketball Tournament
    I agree, this is very similar to the pigeon ping pong video. I think sometimes we underestimate the mental capabilities of animals. Rats are supposedly one of the smartest animals on the planet. It's really interesting how they can learn...
  • Posted Google search: modern day fairy tale to Psy1001 Section 08 Spring 2012
    The Super Bowl is prime time for companies to show off their best in advertising. But what elements of this 0:53 second advertisement in 2010 earned it over 6 million views on YouTube? The look of the commercial itself...
  • Commented on Where is our Consciousness Located?
    For me it's so interesting to think that our consciousness arises from the lightning fast neuronal communications in the brain. Your post really showed our brains are always active, which isn't something one usually assumes even when we're dozing off....
  • Commented on 6th Generation ipod Nano: Form Over Function For Runners
    I completely agree with you on two points you presented. The lack of tactile cues on a touch screen, and the lack of audio cues can be frustrating. I have no plans to replace my iPod Classic with anything other...
  • Commented on We are social animals.
    Interesting post! You bring up a good point about the unfortunate lack of assistance or attention to the victim that can occur in an emergency. I think I've read somewhere that, if many people are witnessing the event occur, nobody...
  • Commented on Living with Half of a Brain
    It's so cool how the brain can heal itself, nice blog entry. I took a neuroscience class and we also learned about a young girl who lives with half her brain. I believe she had seizures as a toddler, so...
  • Commented on Blog help from a fellow student..
    the verve. good choice. helpful tutorial too, thanks!...
  • Posted Intelligence and IQ Testing: a brief review of Ch. 9 to Psy1001 Section 08 Spring 2012
    Like with many concepts in psychology, it's difficult to declare a single, clear cut definition for intelligence. In Chapter 9, one of things we'll discuss is the various types of intelligence. The widely used terms "book-smart" and "street-smart" aren't enough...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from gavi0100