kochi005

• Posted The concept in psychology that you think you will remember five years from now and why to Psych 1001 Section 010 and 011 Fall 2011
    The social psychology unit I found the most interesting because it is the study of why people act in the ways they do and how people are fundamentally more similar than different. There have been many ideas and concepts in this class that studied the differences in people, is what makes social psychology unique. In this chapter I found it very interesting the concept of groupthink, which as described in "Psychology From Inquiry to Understanding" is the emphasis on group unanimity at the expense of critical thinking. This is a concept I will remember five years from now because I thought it was so hard to believe that individuals would forget to objectively evaluate issues and simply go with the crowd. Through further reading it appeared as if all of us at some time or another behaved in this manner. Few examples are the certainly of success for the in-group even against the realistic odds and the stereotyping of the out-group. I feel it is important to always remember that we can fall pray to this and a good way to avoid this would be to have someone play devil's advocate in debates....
  • Posted Blog # 5 Standardized Testing to Psych 1001 Section 010 and 011 Fall 2011
    "Five persons are sitting in a line. One of the two persons, at the farthest ends, is sharp, the other one is fair. An overweight person is sitting to the right of a feeble person. A tall person is to the left of the fair person and the feeble person is sitting between the sharp and overweight persons. The tall person is at which place counting from right?" This is a sample question from the GRE; to many people this question may appear confusing at first and you may be wondering what is this even testing. The answer to this question is that the tall person is the second to the right. In both lecture and discussion there was a great deal of focus on the debate of standardized testing. Being a junior who is going to take the GRE sometime in the spring or summer of 2012, the topic of standardized testing was relevant and interesting to me. Therefore, I decided to further explore this controversial topic. First, I will discuss briefly the history and structure of standardized testing specifically the SAT, ACT and GRE. Then I will review some opinions regarding the reliability of these tests. According to the article "Brief History: Standardized Testing" by Dan Fletcher, published in the magazine "Time" in December 11, 2009 the earliest record of standardized testing originates from China. Government employees or candidate employees had to complete an exam testing their knowledge of Confucian philosophy and poetry. In the United States during the Industrial Revolution this became a method of testing large numbers of students more efficiently. In modern times performance in ACT and SAT tests is among the most significant in the college-admission process. The SAT is geared towards testing logic, while the ACT is considered to be evaluating accumulated knowledge. Imagine now that you have prepared and any of these standardized tests and feeling pretty good about how the test went until 2 weeks later receiving a lower score than anticipated. Data shows that such discrepancy may not always be incorrect answering but due to error in the grading process. This type of error has occurred and sometimes it is caught other times no one is aware of this error which may contribute to which school you will get accepted to. Errors in standardized testing were explained in "A Systematic Problem" published by the National Board on Education Testing and Public Policy written by Kathleen Rhoades and George Madaus from the Lynch School of Education at Boston College in May 2003. Rhoades explains that these errors occur due to the fact that there is no US agency that independently checks the processes and products of the testing agencies, which leads to errors that are difficult to detect. A famous example discussed was the case of the 1978 Medical College Admissions Test when the "mistake resulted in artificially low scores for 90 percent of the test takers on one administration and probably caused some candidates to be disqualified" (Rhoades 5). Another...
  • Posted Sexual Orientation to Psych 1001 Section 010 and 011 Fall 2011
    The concept of sexual orientation has come up in chapter 11 suggested that a persons sexual orientation is something that is not controlled but instead it is due to a small cluster of neurons in the hypothalamus in the brain. Simon LeVay proposed this in 1981, in later years investigators exposed gay men and heterosexual men and women to phernomes. The results were that homosexual men responded similar to the women's when they smelled the substance derived from male sweat. These finding supported LeVay's earlier results. Further studies have shown that the brain's corpus callosum was is larger in homosexuals than heterosexual men. Scientists have also found that there are physical aspects that also differ. For instance, a majority of left-handed individuals are not homosexual. The article "The Science of Sexual Orientation" by Daniel Schorn published by CBS news discusses to twin boys (Jared and Adam) and their very different interests. Jared was always interested in "boy things" playing with G.I. Joe's, guns... which Adam enjoyed playing with dolls. The scientist Lesley Stahl stated that Adam was demonstrating extreme gender nonconformity she also went on to say that children that show this sign usually grow up to be homosexual. Adam and Jared's mom stated that she began to notice this when Adam was only 18 months old when he began to ask for Barbie dolls. Similar to Jared and Adam were the twins Greg and Steve who were also discussed in the article. This article explained two situations in which one twin was homosexual and the other was not this provides some evidence that sexual orientation does not have to do with nurture but most likely genetics. These findings I thought were very interesting they do not necessarily show that correlation is causation, meaning we still do not know what the difference is, but to me these findings did show that a person's sexual orientation is not a choice but in fact they are born either homosexual or heterosexual and that there are many factors that contribute including perhaps genetic. Video: (video could not be embedded) Direct link: http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=1391768n News article: http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-18560_162-1385230.html?pageNum=3&tag=contentMain;contentBody...
  • Commented on Sleep-creeper
    I don't think that it is fair to let someone get away with the "excuse" that they were sleepwalking. The person still committed the crime and has been proven to be dangerous to society. However, I also do not think...
  • Posted Kim Peek to Kim Peek
    Over the past few weeks we had briefly discussed Kim Peek who is known as "the real rain man" and how great his memory was. In this article "Kim Peek, Inspiration for 'Rain Man', Dies at 58" Published by the...
  • Posted Kim Peek to Psych 1001 Section 010 and 011 Fall 2011
    Over the past few weeks we had briefly discussed Kim Peek who is known as "the real rain man" and how great his memory was. In this article "Kim Peek, Inspiration for 'Rain Man', Dies at 58" Published by the magazine "Times" discusses this phenomenon. As mentioned in class, Kim had such a great memory he was able to do calendar calculations which is when someone tells Kim a date and he is able to tell you what day of the week that date falls on. However, what I thought was interesting was that the article states that Kim had a damaged corpus callosum and cerebellum; which are important for connecting the two brain hemispheres, regulating attention and language, and coordinating body movements. Although, this area was damaged his memory was above average. This is a great mystery to many doctors and scientists. After reading more about the brain I am still unsure how exactly Kim was able to have such a miraculous memory. Another thing I have found interesting is that even though he was extremely smart, he was unable to pick up social cues. Interestingly, doctors speculate that his neurons made unusual connections due to the absence of the corpus callosum; which increased his memory capacity. These special connections are probably also responsible for his ability to retain information as early as from 16 to 20 months of age, while normally, we learned in class that individuals are able to remember information/memories from age 4 and up. This article was very interesting and left me amazed with the complexity of brain's function. It helped me recognize the brain's pluripotent abilities and emphasized, why even today brain's function is not fully understood. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/27/us/27peek.html?pagewanted=1&hpw...
  • Commented on What do we really know?
    Wow! This is a very interesting topic. It has to do with several aspects of psychology: scientific thinking, medicine, and behaviorism. Behaviorism because I believe that his sort of problem causes many behavioral problems and mental issues as well. This...
  • Commented on FBI agents jobs just got a little bit easier for solving crimes... Or did it?
    I have seen that episode of Criminal Minds and I was impressed by the ability to seek the unconscious. However, this to me does seem far fetched. I understand that some events might be hidden and perhaps a hypnotist makes...
  • Posted Borderline Personality Disorders to Psych 1001 Section 010 and 011 Fall 2011
    The article "Teenage Mind: First Time Evidence Links Over Interpretation of Social Situations to Personality Disorder" published by Science Daily discusses a relationship between borderline personality disorder traits and hypermentalizing in adolescents. This is an example of behaviorism the school of psychology that focuses on uncovering the general laws of learning by looking at observable traits. The goal of the study was to answer: "why does someone with borderline personality disorder do certain things" for example why they might key a car if doing so will lead to bad consequences? Focusing on what happens in the brain of these patients. The study consisted of 111 adolescent inpatients between the ages of 12 to 17 they were asked to watch some movie scenes and report what the character was feeling based on four options. Based on this information I am still unsure which part of the brain is responsible for personality disorder. And this correlation between the responses to the movie are not very persuading for me are their MRI scans that demonstrate similar findings? This is an example of using scientific skepticism it does not look though the articles author used scientific skepticism in writing this. Also as mentioned in class the right hemisphere is responsible for social behaviors but how do these disorders come to be? In addition it stated that there is a relationship between the answers the participants had chosen but not why they believe there is a correlation. In my opinion I think this article needs to be replicated and further explained to be persuasive. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/09/110928142454.htm...
  • Posted Free Will to Psych 1001 Section 010 and 011 Fall 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLn-GdVsYBE One important idea discussed in the Lilienfeld text is free will and whether it is an illusion. Free will is the ability to make decisions without any outside influence and it is not externally determined. This is debated in the free will-determinism debate, which asks the question: To what extent are our behaviors freely selected rather than caused by factors outside of our control. Which brings up the idea of free will as an illusion, meaning people do not really make their own choices because the choices are pre determined. Behaviorist B.F. Skinner argued "free will stems from the fact that we aren't consciously aware of the thousands of subtle environmental influences impinging on our behavior at any given moment" (Lilienfeld 35). This idea is important because it discusses how people form decisions and that everyone is making decisions that they might not necessarily want but the decisions that society has engraved upon us, which is why I find this idea very interesting. This in my opinion demonstrates how nature has a huge impact on our daily lives. Our environment, the people around us and what we have been grown up to believe to be the right decision influence our decisions which in turn makes us not really have free will. Even though people do have the power to go against all of this it is not as easy to do and people do not tend to they instead settle for these "premade choices." In the youtube video "The illusion of Free Will" discusses whether a conscious person or the brain makes the decision. From the experiment in the video it becomes clear that the brain makes the decision before the conscious person does in other words the unconscious mind makes the decision first. After viewing this video and reading more in depth about free will I believe that free will is made by our unconscious. I also began to wonder whether since the unconscious mind already makes a decision whether the conscious mind is able to change that decision. Also it has made me wonder if nature (the environment and people surrounding me) are really the ones that have influenced my unconscious or if it is pre-wired....
  • Posted Group Media Examples (Keri Anderson, Helen Kochilas and Kaitlin Hass) to politics of sex: spring 2011
    Keri Anderson Part 1 Questions: What makes this add too sexy? What makes this ad so much sexier than other ads that are allowed to air on TV? The example of Beyonce's ad for her perfume, Heat, and the idea...
  • Posted What's sex got to do with... food? to politics of sex: spring 2011
    As I was looking through our blog I began to think about food and how advertisements for meat are mostly aimed towards men. I think this is because of the gender roles/stereotypes the fact that men are suppose to be...
  • Commented on What's sex got to do with... simply eating a meal?
    I thought it was ridiculous that in over half the states of the U.S restaurants have the right not to serve a homosexual couple. I think this is a violation of human rights and its discrimination. I was shocked to...
  • Posted What's sex got to do with... Game Shows? to politics of sex: spring 2011
    The game show "Wheel of Fortune" first aired in 1976 and since then it has always had a young female model reveal the letters on the board, throughout the show she does not talk as much as the male...
  • Commented on Diablog 2 Follow up
    First I believe it is important to understand the concept of gender stereotypes. In my opinion Gender stereotypes are simply conventionally simplified and a standardized conception/ image concerning the typical roles of males and females. These stereotypes come from a...
  • Posted Diablog 2 Follow up to politics of sex: spring 2011
    In the article "Queer Theory, Gender Theory" by Riki Wilchins it mentions that "somewhere in the 18th century, sex as we know it was invented" (Laqueur 83). How is sex, as we know it and how was it in the...
  • Commented on Diablog 2
    As I re-read this excerpt about Laqueur’s attempt to provide the history of opposite sex as described by Wilchins; I realized that the main point was that we need to denaturalize sex, something, I did not understand at first. The...
  • Commented on Diablog 2
  • Commented on Science, Gender, and Sex
    Yes, I agree I think it is the society that has made the sperm and males in general perceived as heroic and strong. However I do not think that this is necessarily true in todays society. I have found an...
  • Commented on Science, Gender, and Sex
    The concept of the sperm and egg as masculine and feminine has never occurred to me before. While I was reading the article by Emily Martin I also was wondering whether the reproductive system was created for men and if...
  • Posted Diablog 2 to politics of sex: spring 2011
    The article "The Egg and the Sperm: How Science Has Constructed a Romance Based on Stereotypical Male-Female Roles" by Emily Martin focuses on the ways gender stereotypes are shown through the language of science. She describes how certain texts...
  • Posted Whats sex got to do with Jersey Shore? to politics of sex: spring 2011
    Similar to many other television programs on air; Jersey Shore is another typical program with sex, drinking, and of course drama! This in my opinion demonstrates gender differences because even though Ronnie cheated numerous times on Sammi, Sammi always forgave...
  • Commented on What's sex got to do with...leader of a country?
    "What's sex got to do with... leader of a country?" I believe that the connection with "politics of sex" is the stereotypes society makes. For example, as we discussed in class gender roles have a significant affect on how individuals...
  • Commented on Whats sex got to do with.... plastic surgery?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qtb44V5PDus...
  • Posted Whats sex got to do with.... plastic surgery? to politics of sex: spring 2011
    I chose this Bridalplasty video because I believe it demonstrate a change in society, people are doing anything they can in order to gain attention from the opposite sex and feel wanted. In addition the video are from two television...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from kochi005

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page