blum0202

• Posted Wrap Up to COMM 3201.004
    I believe that everyone overall, progressed very well, from production one to production three. I do think that it is a little harder to measure progression in this particular class because each of us had a new role for each...
  • Commented on Parody!
    The best part of this to me is when the TV turns on and shows the dead little girl in black and white the ONLY black lead/supporting lead female in the movie doesn't ask what's on the TV. She simply...
  • Commented on Parody
    Parody is definitely the best topic so far on the blog! I love this example though. I also agree that the most of the parodic qualities come from the fact that most of the things that the coaches, players, and...
  • Commented on Parodies
    I've never seen this before, this is hilarious...anyways I also think this is a great example simply by changing the lyrics to very exaggerated stereotypical things that boy bands do. My favorite part would have to be the fact that...
  • Posted Parodies to COMM 3201.004
    I apologize in advance for the quality but it was the only one i could find of the whole scene. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u2SYb2pgB4 So for this post I was actually reminded of a great example during class today when the SNL skit...
  • Commented on Lighting in The Cabinet of Dr.Caligari
    The most interesting lighting aspect to me in this picture is the shapes that are surrounding the two talents that the lights create. They seem to be very contrasting with each other and also are very random and almost spastic,...
  • Commented on #depth
    I think this is a great still as an example for depth, and Monsters Inc. is also one of my favorite movies as well. What I think actually helps create the effect that the “scream floor” is enormous is the...
  • Commented on G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra
    I think this is a great example because of the fact that there is only one pilot in this scene. This can show that not only does point of view distinguish connections between talent and the surrounding area (i.e. if...
  • Commented on Time and Motion
    I think this is a great example ofshooting more frames per second. The use of slow motion in this clip is a great choice because not only does it make the audience focus on the fact that spider-man is dodging...
  • Posted Time & Motion to COMM 3201.004
    For this post I want to show a clip from the dance movie Stomp the Yard. This particular clip is actually as you will see the first scene of the movie, showing two crews battling for prize money. The...
  • Posted Time & Motion to Robert J Blumenberg
  • Commented on Rear Window - Lighting & Light
    What I notice most about this fame is that the ray of light shining on his face really only reveals his eyes. I think it really helps create a creepy feeling for the scene and also subtly tell the audience...
  • Commented on Lighting - Shutter Island
    I agree! This movie is one of my favorites too. The thing that I notice the most about this frame's lighting is that everything in the picture is clearly visible in terms of light, and the frame's color is very...
  • Posted Sound to COMM 3201.004
    Rob Blumenberg The clip that I chose is a scene from the movie Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. Right before the scene Harry was dueling his rival, Draco, who then cast a snake from his wand. Suddenly,...
  • Posted Introductions to COMM 3201.004
    Hey guys, so my name is Robert Blumenberg but i usually go by Rob. Like I said in class dancing is the biggest part of my life and hopefully i can keep it that way (which is also one reason...
  • Posted Psychology to Family Life to Psych 1001 Section 010 and 011 Fall 2011
    When my brother and I were little we obviously never got along due to the enduring stereotypical behaviors of two young siblings. We would never really see eye to eye, and sometimes I just believed that he didn't really enjoying being related to me. Eventually my family and I learned that he had Asperger's disease, a disorder that is characterized by problems involving development of social skills and behavior. Now that I know this information, this is how I am going to utilize not only what I have learned in terms of one specific branch of psychology, but for the most part, almost all of them. I will say though that I will use some more than others. Perhaps, not by just using that I know from social psychology that humans are naturally social or maybe the theory of social comparison, I could use what I know from what we have discussed in terms of relationships and dating. It may sound silly, which even I will admit that it does, but these natural instincts are the ones that he somewhat lacks and the ones that I believe, due to the new knowledge of the mind that I have acquired, I can not only help him with but also know how to interact with him myself....
  • Posted Big Job Interview Coming Up?... to Psych 1001 Section 010 and 011 Fall 2011
    Do looks really matter when being interviewed? The researchers at Rice University believe so. "Discrimination Against Facially Stigmatized Applicants in Interviews: An Eye-Tracking and Face-to-Face Investigation" was published online last month in the Journal of Applied Psychology and is one of the first studies to examine how individuals with facial blemishes fare in job interviews. The main focus of these tests surrounded the idea that the most important thing to do, that is, from and interviewers perspective, is to remember what the candidate is saying. That it is most important for them to stick out, but solely because of their words. Rice professor Mikki Hebl said that their research shows that if you recall less information about competent candidates because you are distracted by characteristics on their face, it decreases your overall evaluations on them due to the lack of attention to the words exchanged during the interview. The research included two studies. The first involved 171 undergraduate students watching a computer-mediated interview while their eye activity was tracked consistently. After the completion of the interview each student was asked to recall general information about the candidate. One professor states that, "when looking at another person during a conversation, your attention is naturally directed in a triangular pattern around the eyes and mouth...we tracked the amount of attention outside of this region and found that the more the interviewers attended to stigmatized features on the face, the less they remembered about the candidate's interview content, and the less memory they had about the content led to decreases in ratings of the applicant." The second study consisted of face-to-face interviews with candidates who all had some type of facial birthmark and 38 managers enrolled in a hospitality management program, all who had extensive experience and training for classic one on one interviews. The bottom line is that no matter what the norm is and what each person's standards are, initially, and unfortunately, it is human nature to react negatively to facial stigma. The researchers main point was that since there have been many studies showing specific groups of people are discriminated against in the workplace, they however, have shown why it happens....
  • Posted A Psychological Take On Dating Mistakes (you know you want to read it). to Psych 1001 Section 010 and 011 Fall 2011
    Allison Conner, Psy. D., did specific research on different couples and singles around the country and came up with a scientific and surprisingly somewhat emotional take on tips for dating, the most common mistakes, and how to avoid them. Conner came up with a top ten, and she states that all these mistakes are more than fixable. A couple of these steps include trying not to play games. At one point or another everyone fears rejection, and depriving your involvement may make you feel secure but this may make you come off as distant or detached. Another form of this would be lying to an individual to get into bed with them. Manipulation is obviously wrong and Conner says that its ok to be genuine and do not be afraid to be yourself and put your best foot forward. Another topic was talking too much about your ex. Connor states that information on your ex is something that will eventually be shared in the relationship, but while still in the early stages it is bits and pieces of your past that should be left there. Connor says that bringing old baggage into a new relationship creates clutter. A third piece of advice was what Conner called the "rush in, rush out". She asks her subjects if they rush into love or get overly involved much too soon. This leads to possibly leading your partner on or possibly getting yourself taken for a ride. Lastly, in general, Conner says that if you have any of these conflicts, or any of the others that she has conjured up, its best if you notice and address them right away. http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/therapy-in-mind/200910/top-10-dating-mistakes...
  • Posted Low Birthweight May Lead to Autism? to Psych 1001 Section 010 and 011 Fall 2011
    Recently at the University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing, a connection was made between low birth weight and children diagnosed with autism. The findings suggest that premature infants are five times more likely to have autism than children born at normal weight. The children under research, some as small as a single pound when they were born, were followed and studied for twenty-one years. All the infants were born between the years 1984 and 1987 in New Jersey with birth weights ranging from about five hundred to two thousand grams (or a maximum of 4.4 lbs.). With the three million dollar study underway, links between a wide variety of motor and cognitive problems have been well established for some time now, but this study is the first to ever establish that these children are also at an increased risk for autism spectrum disorders. The researchers also wer conducting a similar study on eight hundred and sixty-two children from birth to young adulthood finding that five percent of the children were diagnosed with autism, compared to the one percent of the general public. I actually chose this topic because it directly relates to myself. Being born a little over a month early, I was a mere 3.5 pounds, in other words, severely underweight. To this day I have had regular doctor visits and multiple trips to the hospital due to various injuries and sicknesses but I am completely healthy in terms of diseases or disorders. I am interested though in finding out if there are still any possibilities for me to obtain autism, or the alike, later in life due to my birth weight....
  • Posted Making Decisions: Is our mind at the disposal of our subconscious? to Psych 1001 Section 010 and 011 Fall 2011
    On his journey of "self-discovery" Marcus de Sautoy explored the very biological and spiritual aspects of the human brain. His journey led him to many different questions that still to this day cannot be answered. At what age do we become aware of ourselves? Where exactly does our conscious reside in our brain? Is it possible to know if someone is truly conscious or not? And, in my opinion, most importantly, are we really in charge of the decisions we make, or are our minds at bay to the desires of our subconscious? During his travels, de Sautoy underwent various experiments, one that actually answered the question of who or what is in control of our choices? de Sautoy was determined to discover the source and timing of his decisions. He was placed in a scanner system and given to buttons. While he was inside the scanner he was to make the decision of pressing either the right or left button. While de Sautoy was making his decision the scanner was recording exactly when his mind made the decision to press the right button. The results showed that the scientists were able to record up to six seconds before de Sautoy made his decision, what exactly he was going to do, which, in this case, was press the button on the right. With this data in hand, we can conclude that a human's conscious decision is a very secondary aspect to actual brain activity. That there is a lot of unconscious brain activity very early in the decision making stage that is shaping a person's decisions, and that our consciousness comes in a very late stage. The final thought was that if a person's thoughts are very closely encoded in their brain activity we cannot make a distinction between these thoughts and brain activity. That we do not need to assume that there are two separate entities existing in two separate spaces. Rather, they are different aspects of the same physical process, so therefore, our conscious is our brain activity, and that is what is leading our life....
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from blum0202

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page