manu0062

• Posted Important memories to Psych 1001 Section 010 and 011 Fall 2011
    Correlation does not mean causation, representative bias, and hind-sight bias are distinctions that I will carry like an armed weapon. As time goes by, and we have experiences, we create schemas; as we have learned in our course. The schemas help our minds to make sense of the world in which we are perceiving. As we have learned our senses are motivated, and our neurons get excited, connecting synapses reaching out with our dendritic arms, wirings of complexity, systems of fiber optics that run through-out our bodies. All of this process, most of us are just now becoming aware of. My point is that until now, mostly, I have trusted and believed what my mind, and body has perceived as correct information, or as somewhat true, and real. Now it must pass through the empirical method. What kind of data do I have to support what I am thinking or saying? Is this the true cause, or are there other variables? My experience tells me one thing, and I quickly can find representatives that confirm my theory, but hold on! What if it is someone else's life that I am tampering with. I best not rely on my own mind, yet the bodies of minds, and research that have created a backbone, not of sugar and phosphates, but of consciousness. Even perhaps, if Jung is correct; Archetypes that form part of our descended unconsciousness. So as many others students have commented, that it is not just one variable, or distinction, that we will be taking and remembering for years to come. It will be many of the experiences ,and ideas that we have shared and covered these last months of our lives. Not only are we taking definitions, but a shared part of the history that B.F.Skinner, Jean Piaget, Erik Erikson, Ivan Pavlov, and Sigmund Freud amongst others have shared. ....
  • Posted The One Concept to Psych 1001 Section 010 and 011 Fall 2011
    Freud introduced the world to his compartmentalized view of the psyche quite sometime ago. Since then, genetics, and the theory of evolution has come a long way in helping the humanity to understand our existence. The spiritual community, with modern day devices like the internet, have come to broaden the perspectives of all of humanity; sharing Buddhist beliefs, Cristian, or tribal beliefs. We modern day men and women have an opportunity to connect all of the broad pieces of the puzzle to put into doctrine a deeper understanding of our world, a humanology. I feel one of the most important parts of this puzzle is embracing, and letting go of this compartmentalized view that Freud has conjured into existence. The id is defined as the reservoir of our most primitive impulses, including sex and agression (From Inquiry to Understanding). Could what Freud was talking about be related to what Carl Jung describes as our Archetypes that have been passed down through ancestors and the universal consciousness (unconsciousness)? To me it sounds like evolution! Is it possible that these primitive impulses, sex, and agression form a part of our fundamental development as a species? As we have observed thanks to people like Robert Trivers, we are products of Parental Care Investments that have been made, along with mating competition. Logically, one would assume as we are forced to deal with errors in the coding of DNA, like Cystic Fibrosis, or Hemophilia that many modern day mental ailments could be related to our evolutionary pasts. How deeply have we considered that our evolutionary pasts have had an effect on our mental development? How much of this development could be linked to un-fit-social behavior? Freud also compartmentalized with words like the ego, and the super ego. The ego being the psyche's executive and principal decision maker(From Inquiry to Understanding), The super ego is claimed to be our morality. What Freud has done is created a similar problem as did Rene' Descartes. Descartes said " I think therefore I am". I am sure many of you readers are familiar with the mind-body problem. To summarize, Descartes felt that the mind was a thinking thing; and that the body was not; therefore it was under the minds control. Later Eve Cole Browning, a more modern figure, came to express her views which I will summarize. I do however invite you to read about her ideas on the mind body problem at (http://web.utk.edu/~sophia/readings/cole.pdf ). In all basicity what Browning said was that our bodies give us information on how to survive and function on the daily. Through our eyes we perceive, through our touch we are learning, and through our smells understanding our environments. When a woman has a baby, it is far more than her brain giving her cues; her body is telling her how to react. Browning makes a terrific point that DesCartes did his Methodological experiments in solitude. Humans have evolved in groups, which is the first fault of his experiment. Now that...
  • Posted Life-Span Perspective to Psych 1001 Section 010 and 011 Fall 2011
    I would like to introduce you to the life span perspective created by Paul Baltes a Developmental Psychologist. The life-span-perspective reads that "human development is multiply determined and cannot be understood within the scope of a single framework" (Human Development a life span view 5th ed., Robert V. Kail, John C. Cavanaugh pp17). Multi-directionality: Development involves both growth and decline; as people grow in one area they may lose in another and at different rates. For example people's vocabulary ability tends to increase throughout life, but reaction time tends to slow down. Plasticity: One's capacity is not pre-determined or carved in stone. Many skills can be learned or improved with practice, even in late life. Historical context: Each of us develops with in a particular set of circumstances determined by the historical time in which we are born and the culture in which we grow up. Multiple causation: How we develop results from biological, psychological, sociocultural, and life-cycle forces(Human Development a life span view 5th ed., Robert V. Kail, John C. Cavanaugh pp17). As we have been learning, correlation doesn't necessarily mean causation. When creating a diagnosis we should consider the social-biological-psychological framework before forming any opinions. Social constraints are extremely important. Where we find ourselves in society can tell us a lot about why we act the way we do. For example, our society typically assigns different jobs to different sexes. This is changing ever so slowly, but you will still see many ads selling play kitchens for little girls and tools for fixing for the boys. Other social contexts may present questions like: What is the patients relationship like with his/her parents? We may also have to consider cultural differences when making assessments. What is true in one culture isn't necessarily true in all. When considering the biology of a person, we may want to understand the family history. Have there been genetical factors involved? Other questions may be what is the diet of the person with whom we are working with? These questions are fundamental, but often overlooked when doing a diagnosis. Depression can be a horrible reality for many people. One may want to look deeply into the problems of people with depression, but what if the problem is more on the surface like a vitamin D deficiency. Biological questions are equally important when considering our assessments of patients. The Psychological framework as we are seeing can be approached in many ways. All of which are most important. The Life-Span Perspective is a developmental point a view that can be applied to all walks of life. Whether it is Cognitive, Behavioral, or Neural Psychology that we are studying. I hope that you will take the LIfe-Span Perspective into consideration. If we can embrace the whole dominion of a human being we may closer reside to solving the complex problems that we find with in the race....
  • Posted Sleepwalking to Psych 1001 Section 010 and 011 Fall 2011
    Sleepwalking is the act of walking while one is fully asleep. Some sleepwalkers have been know to drive cars, turn on computers, or even have sexual intercourse, according to our text, From Inquiry to Understanding. Sleepwalking can be a very scary phenomenon when it occurs to you. One evening I slept walked. I was in the town of Chatfield sleeping over a friend's house. I remember going to sleep on the couch. The next thing that I remember is waking up because I stubbed my toe. I was very confused as to how I ended up walking barefoot around town. I was very confused and it took me some time to piece together the puzzle. As scared and estranged that I was to my situation, I was very happy that I at least had clothes on. Till today my mother worries me to not sleep naked. Just in case I have another sleeping promenade! Little is known as to why we sleepwalk. Strangely, sleepwalking normally doesn't occur throughout the REM sleep. REM, stands for Rapid Eye Movement. REM sleep is a period of time when the brain is most active while sleeping. Throughout the REM period it is almost as if we are awake. Logically, we could draw the conclusion that people sleep walk during REM sleep because of the fact that they are so active, almost awake. This is an incorrect assumption. Our text explains that "Contrary to popular misconception, sleepwalkers aren't acting out their dream, because sleepwalking almost always occurs during non REM (especially stage 3 o4 4) sleep. Sleepwalking is also know as Somnambulism, a subject of study that in our time may become less of a mystery....
  • Favorited Jean Piaget on Psych 1001 Section 010 and 011 Fall 2011
  • Posted Jean Piaget to Psych 1001 Section 010 and 011 Fall 2011
    Cognitive Psychology, according to our text, intends to examine the role of mental processes on behavior. The understanding of this field grew tremendously because of Jean Piaget's theory on Cognitive Development. Jean Piaget was a French spoken man who lived from 1896-1980. His theory of Cognitive Development consisted of four stages. 1. Sensorimotor: (birth to about age 2) During this stage, the child learns about himself and his environment through motor and reflex actions. Thought derives from sensation and movement. The child learns that he is separate from his environment and that aspects of his environment -- his parents or favorite toy -- continue to exist even though they may be outside the reach of his senses. Teaching for a child in this stage should be geared to the sensor motor system. You can modify behavior by using the senses a frown, a stern or soothing voice -- all serve as appropriate techniques. 2. Preoperational: (begins about the time the child starts to talk to about age 7) Applying his new knowledge of language, the child begins to use symbols to represent objects. Early in this stage he also personifies objects. He is now better able to think about things and events that aren't immediately present. Oriented to the present, the child has difficulty conceptualizing time. His thinking is influenced by fantasy -- the way he'd like things to be -- and he assumes that others see situations from his viewpoint. He takes in information and then changes it in his mind to fit his ideas. Teaching must take into account the child's vivid fantasies and undeveloped sense of time. Using neutral words, body outlines and equipment a child can touch gives him an active role in. 3. Concrete: (about first grade to early adolescence) During this stage, accommodation increases. The child develops an ability to think abstractly and to make rational judgments about concrete or observable phenomena, which in the past he needed to manipulate physically to understand. In teaching this child, giving him the opportunity to ask questions and to explain things back to you allows him to mentally manipulate information. 4. Formal Operations: (adolescence) This stage brings cognition to its final form. This person no longer requires concrete objects to make rational judgments. At his point, he is capable of hypothetical and deductive reasoning. Teaching for the adolescent may be wide-ranging because he'll be able to consider many possibilities from several perspectives of learning (Definitions of Piaget's 4 Stages, Patient Teaching, Loose Leaf Library, Spring House Corporation,1990 http://www2.honolulu.hawaii.edu/facdev/guidebk/teachtip/piaget.htm). Cognitive Psychology for me is very interesting because it has challenged the ideas of great thinkers like Freud who thought children were much more vegetable like. Piaget embraced the fact that children have depth perception. That they learn by cues, and are constantly observing there surrounding creating connections. However, these connections would not be possible if the slate did not contain some information previously, DNA. Tabula Rasa is the theory that we are born with a blank slate....
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from manu0062

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page