baixx078

• Posted Those makes life changing even after five years of this class to Psych 1001 Section 010 and 011 Fall 2011
    The concept which I could remember for five years from today is the 6 scientific thinking concepts learnt in Chapter 1. I think I could remember this even more than five years because it is quite useful in daily life and in my career in the future. By having good understand those scientific thinking theories and fallacies we could fall into, I could use them to avoid real life problems and applied them into my further study in social psychology and economics. For me, when learning economics and business, people's thinking plays quite an important role in it because the whole business world and economics environment are shaped by people who runs and functioning in them. When analysis an macroeconomic changes in real world, I could apply scientific thinking concepts about thinking other explanation than what we have right now trying to figure out what is the main reason cause economic situation changes at that point, weather is social prospection in stock market or government new policies, or even the development of a new industry. Furthermore, by knowing the existence of confirmation bias, I could make wiser choice in the future by intentionally value a question with objective view instead following enthusiastic and initial feeling about it, which will help in both career and private life. I will trying to combine those scientific principles with my initial value of world from my own culture, a crush of western scientific thinking and oriental mentally concepts, to shaping a sympathetic yet objective value standard to guide my life....
  • Posted Brief Discussion About the Eugenic Movement to Psych 1001 Section 010 and 011 Fall 2011
    With the popular and separation of intelligence test developed by French psychologist Binet and Simon, it was translated into English by American psychologist Henry Goddard in 1908, and was conducted on peoples including new immigrant and prison inmates and delinquents. Translation though did not change the original meaning and the way intelligence was tested, the language became the obstacle as well as the conducting process. For new immigrants, English was unfamiliar to them and might have trouble understanding the introduction of the test which obviously affected their performance on it. Also, many conductors did not fully understand the test which originally designed for child, and applied it to adults. All these factors made the results that there were many who were sentenced as mental retardation and the proportion went up to 40% among immigrants. Due to the situation, people who wished to contain good genes proposed the Eugenic Movement which separated wildly in America. People who were classified as mental retardation needed to be sterilized. However, this movement was a controversial issue until today because it prevents people from reproducing by against their willingness. Proponents of the Eugenics Movements held opinions that people should preserve good genes to reproduce making sure survival. People against it said that people do have their right to reproduce and to have their own children enjoying the family life. I personally against the Eugenics Movement for the following reasons, based on what I've learnt from PSY 1001. First, there was no fully evidences proved that intelligence was completely based on our biological structure which means that it will be influenced by genes. Thought our brain size and structure, partial size as well as density may contribute to intelligence, however, there was no absolute answer of this question. Outside environment such as nutrition and education also plays significant roles in it. Though recent years, twin studies do prove that there were positive correlations between intelligence and genes, however, this still cannot be the reason for the Eugenics Movement because, first, there were not twin studies at that time; second, there was no evidence that education cannot improve one's intelligent since our intelligence is constructed by two parts, flow intelligence and crystal intelligence. Second, as mentioned before, I do think that intelligence could be improved since our crystal intelligence is "accumulated knowledge of the world acquired over time". Properly education does help people learn more and improve their capability. People who are not high in general intelligence may have other talents, in other words, they may have high special intelligence. Intelligence test do reflects something which is quite important, however, it could not reflect the value of one's life, and people could not use it to decide which person could reproduce, enjoy life and which one could not. Here is a link I found on our U of M website about the U and the Eugenic Movement. http://www.chgs.umn.edu/histories/minnesotans/andHolocaust/...
  • Posted Media(Environment) and human development further concerns to Psych 1001 Section 010 and 011 Fall 2011
    Human development is not only affected by our biological feature inherited from our parents but also environment around us. The environment elements include both social environment and family environment. Environment effect on human is more reflected on behaviors, however, how much does it involved are still under research without a solid conclusion. Most of the time, researchers use twin studies to compare how different environment affect one's behavior and personality. According to Piaget, we won't achieve our most abstract levels of reasoning ability until our adolescence and our frontal lobe which in charge of our planning, decision making and impulse control is still in maturing process and that's is why teenage kids are easier to be influenced. Both social environment and family environment could affect our cognitive development during this time and that is the reason why the society will put that much efforts in publicize protecting adolescence from improperly internet content and home violence. Along with the development of the entertainment industry, child and adolescences are exposure to media much more than last generation was. How TV program and computer games affect their behavior becomes more and more complicated because more factors needed to be considered to have valid result. As far as I concern, ways of how does violence and sexual content exposure to child needs to be separately examed. Also, for different age level, children are affected differently. What's more, for oriental and western culture based education, child may reflects differently to same content. Here is some links related to study on this area. http://www.mentalhelp.net/poc/view_doc.php?type=doc&id=1952&cn=28 http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;108/5/1222...
  • Posted Trying of combine learning behavior and other field we are going to learn and had learnt as well as an interesting article of memory to Psych 1001 Section 010 and 011 Fall 2011
    Learning behavior as the core study area of behaviorism has high importance, and it does, may explain, how people are unique, as professor Briggs referred in first lecture. There are two things I want to write in this blog. First is how I figure out that I could apply operant conditioning and classical conditioning into my daily life, or maybe, in the future, applying into education field. Second is that I am still wondering whether we could trying to explain learning behavior in an evolutionary respect, which may related to functional psychology. As well as I found a really interesting article about memory and our emotion from the web. I think that most of our behavior is actually acquired through operant conditioning because there are not that much things which could cause an automatically unconditioned response. Most of the behaviors are result of conduction of our brain work and conducted of motor muscle. Like learning how to swim when I am quite young, a good move in water set me free from feeling suffocated and will not be chocked by water, which was a negative reinforcement. Also, more commonly behavior such as walking, getting what we want is a positive reinforcement which encourage our move another step and walk further and further. I think that this operant behavior is more involved after we have developed our sensation fully and have "kind of independent thinking ability". Because I think that compared with classical conditioning which requires an instinctive respond, operant conditioning requires more on logic thinking, which we have to actively connect two things together. When learning, we have to think the connection between two things. Another topic is that whether we could using evolutionary respect to explain learning behavior. When reading the classical conditioning part, I was thinking that did at the beginning of learning, the UCR appeared are actually a result of learning through evolution? Millions of years of evolution left the creatures with ability to reflect these stimuli survive, and then those animals using these so called instincts to learn new behavior in order to survive and reproduce. Also, I believe, as far as I know about "feeling of safe", the conditioning responds should be the behavior should make the animal feel safe, could be safely survive. I am thinking whether fields of Maslow's safety theory and learning behavior as well as evolutionary respect of psychology could be combined together to understanding human behavior. Here is an article I found on the internet about our emotion and memory from NYU, which I think are closely related to the learning behavior we learnt at the beginning of last week. http://psych.nyu.edu/phelpslab/papers/04_CON_V14.pdf...
  • Posted How we might discover OBE and NDE more? to Psych 1001 Section 010 and 011 Fall 2011
    According to the description and video in the lecture as well as lack of efficient evidence to support the explanation of existence OBD and NDE, more scientist assume that two phenomenon is illusion caused by our sensory mistake. Current NDE research, as read in the text, are based on description of people who believed that the experienced OBD and NDE, as far as I know, I think it is more like the introspection because it depend heavily on personal description instead of valid and repeatable data base. In personal opinion, I believe, that OBD and NDE is the illusion caused by overload information from our sensory. It is just a guess inspired by the text. As far as I concern, based on the situation which OBD and NDE phenomenon happened, it might because that under certain situation, especially emergency, our sensory become extremely sensitive which enable us catch even the smallest changes around. Tons of information then pass our nerve system and processed by our brain which may lead some mistakes because of the amount of information needed to be analysis simultaneously. I personally don't have any experience and have never do any research in the field and the theme This guess needs sufficient evidences to supported because OBE and NDE involves mental activities a lot which is hard to accurately measured even us EEG. If I could conducted a experiments, I would like to inmate the few different situations under which NDE and OBE are mostly occurred and then detected the electronic wave changes in one's brain. Then according to the different reflection areas , we might could figure out whether the brain is actually super "busy" at that time. By analyze the data and MRI graph, more information could be provided and evidence might be founded as well....
  • Posted Critical Thinking Principles and Why it is important to Psych 1001 Section 010 and 011 Fall 2011
    Critical thinking as have been learnt in Chapter one, the concept includes six principles, ruling out rival hypotheses, correlation and causation, falsifiability, replicability, extraordinary claims and occam's razor. Ruling out rival hypotheses means that we need to check if there was alternative explanation for a finding or statement. Correlation VS. Causation represents that the correlation between two things doesn't represent the logic causation between them. Those two concept should be think separately. Falsifiability shows that for a scientific statement, whether we could disprove it. A scientific hypotheses should be able to be disproved by people. Replicability is the way to show the valid of a test. During experiement and research, we need to make sure that our result could be repeat and has the same result again and again to show that it is a valid answer instead a product of consequences. Extraordinary claims is that when notice some really extraordinary claim or findings, same extraordinary evidences should be showed to prove the hypotheses and the claim. The last one, occam's razor, is saying that sometimes, the simplest answer may the best answer to explain. I think these six principles important because it is the way we could get over traps in daily life not only about scientific statement as well as daily life affairs. Also, since I want to learn social psychology which involve with not only individual human, small environment around him, but the whole society as well as many different kinds of person in it. There are so many different element involve in social psychology making it quite hard to isolate all the procedure in behaviors. Especially the second principle, causation and correlation, which is one of the most confused part in social psychology I think, because many people in our daily life has tendency of saying "A cause B" just because they show up together. I believe, remembering and learning analysis correlation and then using logical details to track causation is the way a social psychologist do. Also, I am still trying combine scientific thinking principles and oriental philosophy to learning the social effect and position of it in oriental culture....
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from baixx078

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page