Reed Kotz

• Posted Ch. 4 + 5 of Righteous Dopefiend to Blogging On Drugs!
    Chapter four of Righteous Dopefiend goes into detail of the childhood lives of many of the characters in this ethnography. This chapter surprised me in many ways. The first was how different everyone's path was to addiction and the eventual...
  • Posted Ch. 1 + 2 of Righteous Dopefiend to Blogging On Drugs!
    In the first chapter of Righteous Dopefiend we begin with the ethnography of homeless drug addicts living in San Francisco. The two ethnographers are Philippe Bourgois and Jeff Schonberg. These two individuals become intertwined into a world of homeless...
  • Posted Evaluating Drug Courts with King/Pasquarella and Kaye to Blogging On Drugs!
    With the King and Pasquarella piece "Drug Courts: A Review of the Evidence" they demonstrated that there are some positive effects of the drug courts. That they have been beneficial to many that have gone through their. The benefits...
  • Posted James Inciardi "The Great Drug War" to Blogging On Drugs!
    "The Great Drug War: Policies and Programs to Reduce Drug Supply and Demand" by James Inciardi discusses the U.S. Policies since the late 70's to reduce the supply of drugs within the U.S. I know the article title states supply...
  • Posted An interesting analysis on "Drugs" by Tonry to Blogging On Drugs!
    I found the article and statistical analysis of Tonry's article to be quite fascinating. It made me very aware of my own prejudices, biases, and overall misconceptions I have of the populations that sell drugs. However, I already knew much...
  • Posted Marijuana and HIV/AIDS an unlikely duo to Blogging On Drugs!
    In this chapter Grimm discusses the growth of medical marijuana within California. The roots of this movement I found very interesting. In how is started in these "clubs" that were scattered around town that would actually sell to individuals that...
  • Posted American Imperialism against Cocaine to Blogging On Drugs!
    Blog #1 This blog pertains to chapter 10 and the story behind the cocoa leaf. This story mainly takes place within Bolivia, where for many the cocoa plant is their main or only source of income. However, the U.S. trying...
  • Posted White Privilege to Magic Mountains
    Alright here I will discuss white privilege that has recently been talked about in class and how I feel about having my own white privilege. I take it as not a burden, but a blessing. You should never be ashamed...
  • Posted Magic Mountains to Magic Mountains
    This blog will discuss the Educo retreat into the Groot Winderhoek Mountains in the Western cape of South Africa. This was a three day retreat that stripped of us technology, no watches, no laptops, no TV's, and no cellphones. The...
  • Posted Hate: A Neglected Topic to Section 04 and 05 F11 PSY 1001
    Hate: A Neglected Topic http://www.psychology.com/articles/?p=233 "In my heart, there are two wolves: a wolf of love and a wolf of hate. It all depends on which one I feed each day." This quote by a Native American woman is extremely...
  • Posted Can Sexual Orientation be changed? to Section 04 and 05 F11 PSY 1001
    Reed Kotz http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/booster_shots/2009/08/psychologists-sexual-orientation-cant-be-changed-through-therapy.html Can sexual orientation be changed? This has been an interesting question for many decades now. Over the past few decades much research has been done according to the article above to figure out if sexual orientation can...
  • Posted Computer Vs. The Brain to Section 04 and 05 F11 PSY 1001
    http://www.theopavlidis.com/comphumans/comphuman.htm Computers vs. the human brain has been a worrisome topic, every since digital computers were being used over 60 years ago. This topic has been heavily depicted in movies like 2001 Space Odyssey, Terminator, and I, Robot. This topic...
  • Posted Shrooms to Section 04 and 05 F11 PSY 1001
    Magic mushrooms, shrooms, or boomers are hallucinogens that produce extreme sensations and perceptions. They are a fungus that is can be produced naturally in nature. Mushroom motifs have been found in Mayan ruins in Guatemala, where the psychoactive drug can...
  • Posted Nature vs. Nurture: Adoption Studies to Section 04 and 05 F11 PSY 1001
    The nature vs. nurture assessment has always been a peculiar one and has deeply interested me. One way of studying the effects of these two factors is through the use of adoption studies. Adoption studies are a helpful to discover...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from Reed Kotz