franz162

• Posted Taking Action: What I learned from PSY 1001 to Sections 24 and 25 SP12 PSY 1001
    Perhaps the concept that will remain with me five years from now that I learned in Psychology 1001 is that of the bystander effect. The bystander effect is defined as the non responsiveness of those witnessing an event. I was...
  • Commented on If You Want to Hang With Us, Smoke This.
    I really liked the last sentence of your blog: "belonging and conforming do not have to go hand in hand." It's true that often times in order to feel as though we belong, we give into peer pressure and follow...
  • Commented on Sometimes, "few" is better than "many".
    Sadly the bystander effect has resulted in many people in harmful situation being ignored. I agree with you that the more people understand the concept of the bystander effect and are educated in the ways in which they can provide...
  • Commented on Freud: the Man, the Myth, the Thought Provoker
    Freud is extremely influential in the field of psychology.I agree that his ideas were important in facilitating scientific discussion on the role of the unconsciousness, although his theories have today, been debated....
  • Commented on "I Can Do Better When You Are Watching Me" - Social Facilitation
    I really like that you related the concept of social facilitation to your own personal experiences at the gym. When this topic was covered in lecture on Friday, it seemed like another factor that contributed to it was how "good"...
  • Posted Birth Order: Does It Really Matter? to Sections 24 and 25 SP12 PSY 1001
    Wouldn't it be nice if we could determine a person's personality based on the order they were born in? Many popular books associate certain characteristics of people based on their birth order however, further research shows that this claim is...
  • Commented on Let's Be Realistic. Lose 20 Pounds in 14 Days!
    yuck! Eating only lemon juice, cayenne pepper, and maple syrup for 2 weeks does not sound enjoyable. It is interesting to me that despite all the research saying that fad detox diets are not good for you, people continue to...
  • Commented on "I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you."-Friedrich Nietzsche
    Interesting article! TV shows like "Lie to Me" certainly would lead us to believe that it would be easy to tell when others are lying; however, studies have shown that this is nearly impossible....
  • Commented on The Fastest Way of Losing Weight?
    It is sad to heat that a common effect of bulimia is suicide. I think that as college students, we are often times more prone to eating disorders like bulimia because we experience large amounts of stress. Like you mentioned...
  • Commented on Confessions of a Say Yes to the Dress Addict
    This was a really interesting take on poplar TV shows like "say yes to the dress."Prior to reading this article I hadn't thought of wedding spending as being a symbol of commitment and opportunity to show the commitment level of...
  • Commented on Are you in charge of yourself? Not as much as you'd think.
    I think it makes sense that the brain would process what we are going to do before we do it however, it's interesting that scientists can now interpret these neurons and predict what we will do!...
  • Commented on Will Arnold Schwarzenegger One Day Stop Virtual Memories from Existing?
    The idea of being able to implant false memories into someone's brain via a machine is fascinating. While there may be some advantages to being able to "wipe out" horrific memories of a car crash or other disturbing events, I...
  • Commented on Consciousness... In Robots?
    Interesting!Prior to reading this article, I was not aware that such extensive research was being conducted in the field of artificial consciousness. You raise some really good questions in asking if we are giving ways the very thing that makes...
  • Commented on Advertising. Is It Really That Simple?
    It is interesting to me to learn how products are marketed to different groups of people; obviously this add is targeting young people and probably would not be as relevant to other generations. As we are bombarded with messages everyday,...
  • Posted Bilingualism: An Advantage? to Sections 24 and 25 SP12 PSY 1001
    l As a student who has spent a year studying abroad in Mexico and learning another language, the topic of bilingualism was fascinating to me. Our book discusses several advantages and disadvantages to learning a second language. One disadvantage...
  • Commented on Was President Bush Really THAT Dumb?
    Interesting Post! I agree that linguistically Bush had much he could improve upon. I think one of his greatest weaknesses was the way he used word and sentence stress. It is interesting to think that the way we talk can...
  • Commented on The Art of Deception
    I find these chalk drawing fascinating! It is interesting to learn how our eyes and brain perceive images to make them look like they are 3D when in reality they are only 2D....
  • Commented on The Importance of Getting Some Zzzzz's
    Having never heard of Prion disease prior to reading this article, I found this article extremely interesting. Is there anything that can be done to cause those affected by the disease to fall asleep? I agree that it would be...
  • Commented on Prohibition! on sugar?
    Wow! It's interesting to think of sugar as a controlled substance! I do think that including emotional reasoning does decrease the validity of the article even though the author provides good reasons for his case. Thanks for your post!...
  • Commented on Wait I can get away with only 15 minutes a day??
    As a person who enjoys exercising on a daily basis, I found this article interesting. People have different exercise needs depending on family history, age, weight, etc but it was interesting to me that each source offered a different recommended...
  • Commented on R.I.P. - My lifelong belief in "The Hot Hand"
    I really enjoyed your inclusion of personal experience with "The Hot Hand." Testing our preconceived notions is not always easy but I liked the way you were willing to look deeper into the study performed by Gilovich and form your...
  • Posted Keeping Up With the Joneses: Do Others Really Influence Our Choices? to Sections 24 and 25 SP12 PSY 1001
    Most of us have probably heard of the phrase "keeping up with the Joneses" but how many of us have stopped to really think about all that phrase implies? Chapter 13 of our, book titled "Social Psychology," looks at the...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from franz162

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page