beyer187

• Commented on Pavlov: Conditioning for the Ages
    I also said that classical conditioning was the biggest thing that i would take away from this class. I have always found it fascinating to look at all the ways that humans have been classically conditioned. One of the best...
  • Commented on Our Selective Memory
    I completely agree with you that human memory is a fascinating topic. I have been wondering, ever since i saw the movie limitless, if it would be possible to stimulate the brain so that it can retain more information without...
  • Commented on Separated at Birth.
    I agree with many of the other commenters that while studies such as these are unethical, we have learned a lot of valuable information from them. The "little albert" study we learned about in psych 1001 performed by John B....
  • Commented on Becoming a Parent
    I agree with the notion that being an authoritative parent is the most effective style the majority of the time, however, I believe that their are exceptions. Even though it is an extremely small sample size I know a family...
  • Commented on Things are never as simple as they seem
    Great idea using a character from The Apprentice in order to illustrate the concept of correlation vs causation. Just based on my personal experiences I have found that this is the most commonly seen logical fallacy. After learning about the...
  • Commented on Why Do I Do What I Do?
    I agree with you that classical conditioning is one of the most important concepts covered in psych 1001. I always find it interesting to see what role classical conditioning plays in our everyday life. One of the things that I...
  • Commented on Feeling Groggy?
    Good choice for your blog, I get the feeling that the majority of college students are sleep deprived. I have found through trial and error that it benefits me more to get that proverbial extra hour of sleep than it...
  • Commented on Psych 1001 Words of Wisdom
    Interesting post, I especially like how you are able to translate what you learn in class to the "real world" as this is a lot more difficult to do in other subjects, such as calculus. One of the things that...
  • Commented on Finding my inner Zen
    I think this is a great topic because so many college students struggle so mightily with stress. I agree with your notion that stress is inevitable so I think that it is important that people know ways that they can...
  • Commented on Beauty Throughout the Ages
    I also think that eating disorders are major problems that need to be solved in the coming years. I think advertising plays a major role in why many people become anorexic or bulimic. The majority of advertisements use sex appeal...
  • Commented on Parenting Styles and How Parents Should Be
    I agree that in general authoritative parents are the best parents. However, I think a lot of it depends on the kid. Some of the most rebellious people that I know have permissive parents. Their parents allow them to partake...
  • Commented on Phineas Gage: A Tragic Story
    It is amazing how he was able to function, let alone live a normal life, after such a traumatic accident. It is too bad that nobody recorder a more accurate record of how Gage was both before, and after the...
  • Commented on Looking Forward: The Principles of Attraction
    I also found it rather surprising how I can go through most of, if not all of, my friends and find that they live in close proximity to me or were involved in the same activities as I was in....
  • Commented on The Science of Arousal
    Upon reading this blog post I began checking over a few advertisements, and not surprisingly I found that the majority of them use sex appeal to sell their products. I think this is a very dangerous trend because it may...
  • Commented on The Different Systems of Memory
    Great work connecting psychology to your future job. If we can somehow use this concept to cure alzheimer's disease it would make a profound impact on all of humanity. In the United States alone there are 5.1 million people that...
  • Commented on Beauty and the Beast?!
    I completely agree with you that the factors of attraction will be exactly the same five years from now as they are today. I will challenge you with this question: Will the factors of attraction change 1000 years from now?...
  • Commented on Life is Short, Stay Awake for it
    I have always been fascinated by dreams. I am interested in why we can only remember some of the dreams that we have had. I, personally rarely remember what I had dreamed the previous night. I wonder if this is...
  • Commented on Stages of Development: A New Way of Thinking
    Well I believe the idea that, the development of a child is continuous rather than a stage by stage process, may ease the mind of some parents, I don't believe it will make much of an impact on the majority...
  • Commented on What science really is
    While your take on whether humans let scientific representations influence their behavior may be correct, I believe that you have it backwards. I think that humans noticed the trend of prices raising due to scarcity and then made of the...
  • Commented on False Stimulation
    I think it interesting to think about how classical conditioning plays a role in the life of humans. One way that I believe I have been "classically conditioned" is to put on my seatbelt when getting into a car. This...
  • Commented on Snape, Snape, Severus Snape...
    I also found this to be an entertaining and unique way to write your blog entry. I think that it is telling that most great movies do such a good job of creating characters that you can go quite in...
  • Commented on Upside Down Obama
    I completely agree with the notion that psychology is a scientific field, however, I disagree with you about common sense. I have found throughout reading this textbook that often times our initial response to something proves to be the correct...
  • Commented on Eternal Sunshine of the Uneraseable Mind
    I think the concept of erasing certain memories is a very interesting subject. I wonder if the converse of this could be true, that is, can certain memories be triggered by stimulating different parts of the brain?...
  • Commented on Understanding.... what you're reading.
    I completely agree with you that the six scientific thinking principles are one of the most valuable things we learned in this class. I think that being able to think scientifically will prove to be valuable in many different types...
  • Posted What are the real effects of alcohol? to Sections 24 and 25 SP12 PSY 1001
    The area of psychology that I believe will prove to be most useful for me in my future is the effect of alcohol on the human brain and also the lasting implications that go along with alcoholism. After reading...
  • Posted Are You Smarter Than Your Younger Brother or Sister? to Sam Beyer
    Are you smarter than your younger brother or sister? Well, if so there are multiple theories about why this is so. The correlation between birth order and IQ has long been discussed in the field of psychology. In the...
  • Posted Why am I Hungry Again? to Sections 24 and 25 SP12 PSY 1001
    Ivan Pavlov, a famous psychologist and physiologist, lived from 1849 to 1936 in Russia. Pavlov theorized that he could make a dog drool by simply ringing a bell. He was able to do this by employing the technique of...
  • Posted Tens of Thousands Dead Due to Fabricated Diagnosis to Sections 24 and 25 SP12 PSY 1001
    During the middle ages, before mental illnesses were fully understood, there were tens of thousands of innocent people that were executed in Europe and America. The reason for all of these unwarranted deaths was that people with mental illnesses...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from beyer187

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page