joh09183

• Posted To Judge or Not To Judge to Sections 24 and 25 SP12 PSY 1001
    The fundamental attribution error. We all fall victim to its engrossing and sly ways at some point or another. Last week I was in a store looking for a new swimsuit when a lady and her two kids hustled by...
  • Posted Is that $300 Burning A Hole In Your Pocket? Try Speed-Reading! to Sections 24 and 25 SP12 PSY 1001
    Many of us fall victim to some sort of hoax at one point in our lives. Unfortunately, I was duped into taking a $300 dollar course to "triple" my reading speed. It was offered here on campus through a demonstration....
  • Commented on How Did It Happen To YOU?
    I had just come down for breakfast when I saw my mom staring wide eyed at the tv taking in the news. It was her birthday and I thought she was playing a trick on me. When I saw the...
  • Commented on What do your pets say behind your back?
    Great topic! Crazy to think that our own pets could be "talking" behind our backs. I always felt that animals (especially dogs) could interpret how we are feeling by our body language. When ever someone in my family is sad...
  • Commented on Help! I'm Lost in the Store!
    Great blog, very descriptive. Your anecdote does a great job depicting how many of us often incorrectly reconstruct memories. I think we can all relate to a time we got lost in a mall or public area and how scary...
  • Commented on Are you in charge of yourself? Not as much as you'd think.
    You bring up a very baffling point. Its amazing that scientists can predict our actions up to six seconds before we do them. However, I do think that they can only predict certain minor decisions we'd make in a lab...
  • Commented on Will Arnold Schwarzenegger One Day Stop Virtual Memories from Existing?
    The concept of implanting false memories is both fascinating and slightly scary. It would be truly amazing for our society to accomplish such a feat, however, as discussed in this article several ethical boundaries may be crossed. Memories are such...
  • Commented on When Life Changes from a Movie to a Slideshow
    Motion blindness is a very peculiar condition that most of us are lucky enough to not know what it is like. Your video does a great job displaying some of the dangers of the disease (crossing the street) and how...
  • Commented on Not just an Introduction
    We are all guilty of taking part in the confirmation bias at some point or another. It usually affects us in a negative way because we often neglect to look at refuting arguments that may sway our decisions. I do...
  • Commented on Self-Esteem: High or Low
    Interesting topic and good in depth look on whether or not self-steem was the causation behind the shooting. When most people think of school shootings, such as the one at Columbine, they often categorize the shooters as victims of harassment....
  • Commented on OCD: The Biological Truth
    I have always found Obsessive Compulsive Disorder extremely interesting. Many television shows and movies do a good job depicting the life of those who suffer this mental disorder. Repetition of certain habits is often one of the main "OCDs" people...
  • Commented on Tens of Thousands Dead Due to Fabricated Diagnosis
    Great topic often forgotten about in our modern society. Many of us read a book in high school called "The Crucible" that highlighted this phenomena you discuss perfectly. It's a scary thought to think that people could be accused of...
  • Commented on Exercise while studying and recieve an A?
    Exercising is a definite favorite for reducing stress. For the comment above dealing with smoking, taking a quick drag may reduce your stress for the time being, but in the end will only lead to an addiction which will then...
  • Commented on Development in Adolescence: "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times."
    Although we haven't quite gotten to this part of the reading yet, your blog does a good job of previewing the material. Adolescence is a growth period for all humans where we explore who we are. Your pictures do a...
  • Commented on SAT: A) Accurate or B) Bogus
    This post does a good job capturing how most students feel their junior/senior year. I agree with the comments above that taking this test to measure your intelligence and test taking capabilities shouldn't be what colleges look at to accept...
  • Commented on Advertising. Is It Really That Simple?
    Great topic of discussion judging by all the well thought out comments. This ad does a similar job as the book in discussing ads as classical conditioners. Many superbowl ads especially for beer advertisements use similar methods. By displaying an...
  • Commented on Diagnosing Rachel McAdams in "The Vow"
    Great article on the new Hollywood chick flick. This movie does do a better job than most on displaying the a certain type of amnesia. Finding Nemo is the other movie that I can think of off the top of...
  • Commented on Do You Remember Last Night?
    Great blog and a good topic of discussion for college kids. "Blacking out" in today's world is often viewed as the funny and cool thing to do in social situations. This movie does display this aspect in a humorous way...
  • Commented on WASH THAT MAN RIGHT OUTTA MY HAIR
    You bring up a very interesting point. While traumatic memories would be erased from our memories, some of the good ones might go along with it. It seems improbable for a treatment to be able to decide what qualifies as...
  • Commented on The Ability to Read Minds
    Truly amazing how far technology has come. Also, the thing I found most interesting about this overall unit is the connection between our sleep and our activities. While we are sleeping we may dream up another way to solve a...
  • Commented on Alzheimer's, A Growing Problem
    Great article! Although the definitive diagnosis is made through an autopsy there are new imaging techniques which can facilitate a probable diagnosis. You can also technically get a biopsy while your alive which involves removing a portion of your brain...
  • Commented on True Versus False Memories - Lost in a shopping mall by Elizabeth Loftus
    Great discussions on the topic of false memories. Paul Ingram's case is definitely the most frightening. After discussing his case in recitation, I believe his false memories were a combination of trust, his religion, and protecting his family. He felt...
  • Commented on No, you did not tell me that!
    Excellent use of the flashbulb memory. I believe we can all recall (whether or not it is a reconstructive memory or not) where we were when we heard about the 9/11 attacks. I was in third grade as well and...
  • Posted Addicted to the Natural High to Sections 24 and 25 SP12 PSY 1001
    As we have learned, adrenaline boosts energy production in muscle cells and is created in the adrenal glands- a major endocrine gland of the body. What we didn't learn is that some people strive for an addiction to this hormone...
  • Posted Cartoon Reality to Sections 24 and 25 SP12 PSY 1001
    Chapter 7 focuses primarily on memory and has an array of interesting information. The section that drew my attention most, however, relates to amnesia. I've always found the concept of anterograde amnesia to be both intriguing and intimidating. Anterograde amnesia...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from joh09183

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page