pate0863

• Posted Advice to future students coming to India to IBuS 3033 spring 2014
    Where do I begin! I could go on and on about advice to give to future students, but I'll leave you with four things: 1)      Try everything! By this I mean from the activities you do to the food you eat. At first glance, Indian food can look a bit weird or even disgusting. Trust me, give it a chance. In the case you eat something too spicy, eat some rice curd afterwards. Rice curd is the neutralizer after eating all the masala (spice) filled food. Also on some days if you are not feeling very well, eat naan...
  • Posted Toy man and team, Did he just do that?! to IBuS 3033 spring 2014
    Throughout our whole stay in Bangalore, we were fortunate to have Christ University be our hosts. Christ University took care of us like we were family. They ensured we had the best food, accommodations, and entertainment. One night for entertainment, Dr. Suniti Padhke brought in a dance group. This dance group was very talented to say the least. They did a variety of dances including classical, doll dance, and festive. The first dance was the swagat (welcome) dance. In this dance they used flowers to welcome us. I was astonished to see all the different hand and eye movements...
  • Posted India: Where classmates became family to IBuS 3033 spring 2014
    I'll be the first to admit it, as finals finished and I was packing my bag, I was thinking if this study abroad was a bad idea. Going to a country as diverse as India with classmates who I still didn't even know their names! Especially since throughout the class, John and I would always be talking while everyone else was quiet. To say I was worried about India was an understatement. I flew separate from the group as I planned on staying in India longer (I am still in India and loving it). When I arrived, my luggage...
  • Posted BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Akshardham to IBuS 3033 spring 2014
    This visit personally helped me connect to my religion. On May 20th, after eating at the Chor Bizarre restaurant, I asked the group if anyone wanted to come with me to see this beautiful temple called "Akshardham". To my surprise, everyone was like sure let's go! Being foreign to that part of Delhi we all set off on the journey. By foot, we made it to the train station that would take us to Akshardham. Since we went at around 7pm, the trains were full as people were going home from work. Regardless, the whole group pushed their way...
  • Posted Site Visit to Infosys to IBuS 3033 spring 2014
    As the gates opened, I thought I was no longer in India. The bumpy ride had come to an end. I got out and noticed that we were here. The majestic campus of Infosys in Mysore is a sight to see. Being a MIS major, I was extremely excited to be visiting Infosys. To say the Infosys campus lived up to the hype is an understatement. The campus is very modern and well maintained. We were taken around in a golf cart near the end of the visit and given a tour of the whole campus. Prior to the...
  • Posted KFC in India! Say whaaa?! to IBuS 3033 spring 2014
    After a few days of eating authentic Indian cuisine, I was craving American food. At the Delhi airport, we were fortunate to see what looked like an American Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC). Immediately, the adaptations could be seen. The two things that stuck out to me the most were the adaptations in the menu as well as price. Initially, when the group decided to eat at KFC, I was hesitant as I never have been in America. The reason being that in America, KFC has no vegetarian options. The menu at KFC in India however had many vegetarian options...
  • Posted Initial Impressions of Incredible India to IBuS 3033 spring 2014
    When first arriving to India, specifically New Delhi I had mixed feelings. On one hand I was anxious/excited to explore the city, but on the other end I was thinking "Oh god, what did I get myself into!" To make matters worse, the airline I flew on lost my luggage! Throughout all of this, I tried my best to keep a positive attitude and enjoy my time in Delhi. The first morning put into perspective everything we had been learning in class all semester long. The first surprising thing for me was the traffic in New Delhi (see picture on...
  • Posted Book Review Pt 2- Behind the Beautiful Forevers to IBuS 3033 spring 2014
    "Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham". This quote is the essence of the movie titled, "Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham". This quote means sometimes happiness, sometimes sadness. After reading the book "Behind the Beautiful Forevers", that is what I would use to describe India. The vivid imagery that author Katherine Boo uses makes the reader feel like they are living in India! This book had several strengths and a few weaknesses. The biggest strength this book had was covering a vast array of different issues that the country India is facing. From corruption to the treatment of women, the book did a great job...
  • Posted Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani to IBuS 3033 spring 2014
    Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani TrailerAfter watching Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani (YJHD), my friends and I were speechless. The movie was well directed, had a great story line, and great Bollywood actors. To summarize the plot, this good medical student goes on a trek one day by herself. She meets this "bad boy" type guy and they fall in love. Essentially, it was a love story with a few twists and turns. This movie has many positives. Coming from an Indian background, I have seen several Bollywood movies and several Hollywood movies. I personally enjoyed the songs that are played during the movie....
  • Posted New Location for Indian Premier League to IBuS 3033 spring 2014
    Imagine the sport of football, in particular the NFL. The NFL is played in the United States and has 16 regular season games. What if I told you that 8 of them were to be played in London. Could you imagine the impact this would have on the US economy, player salaries, and the fan base? Well this is the exact situation the Indian Premier League is facing. Because of India's general election, the opening rounds of competition will be played outside of India. The competition is said to return to the subcontinent early in May for the final 36...
  • Posted Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Part 1 to IBuS 3033 spring 2014
    After reading the first half of the book Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo, my perspective on India has shifted. Growing up in an Indian household I was thinking I knew everything about India, but this book has really opened my eyes. Through this book, I have started to understand what the life of a slum-dweller in the outskirts of Mumbai is about. Boo uses the story of Abdul to further show us everything that is wrong with India. This includes deprived living conditions, lack of jobs, and government corruption. When I visited India in 2007, I stayed with my...
  • Posted Initial Impressions of India to IBuS 3033 spring 2014
    For me, whenever I hear the word India I think of many different things. First, I think of the word dirty. Next I think of words such as culture, festivals, Hinduism, and colors. All these words for me come from my personal experience. Coming from an Indian background, my parents imbibed Indian values on me. This helped tremendously as I know so much about the Indian culture. Most recently, I visited India in 2007 for my cousins wedding. Remembering that experience alone, I imagine all the chaos and commotion that India consists of. I remember stepping out of the plane and...
  • Posted The "I Can" Movement to IBuS 3033 spring 2014
    Kiran Bir Sethi teaches kids to take chargeKiran Bir Sethi is an intellectual women with a lot of amazing insights. Starting a school in India is no easy task, but she was able to do this. Not only this, but she started what became known as the "I Can" movement. Kiran's main message in the speech was to empower students to take on local issues into their own hands. To do this, she started first with students at her school, Riverside School.Kiran spoke for only 9 minutes, but she covered half an hours worth of content. For me, I found almost...
  • Commented on Lie detectors don't work.....What will?
    Please see updated blog. Thanks!...
  • Posted Beauty and the Beast?! to Sections 24 and 25 SP12 PSY 1001
    Five years seems like such a long time, but it'll be here before you know it! Many things will be different from advances in technology to the way everyday life is lived. Technology might take over every aspect of life,...
  • Commented on Girls Can Be Aggressive Too!
    This article is very unique! Prior to this, I was well aware that girls gossiped but I never knew that this was considered a form of aggression. I think this maybe part of the reason why "girl fights" have a...
  • Commented on "Vampire+Human=?!"
    This is a very unique but awesome blog post! I found it very interesting how a relationship between a vampire and a human can exist, but based on the principle of attraction, virtually any relationship is possible. The idea of...
  • Commented on Lose 50 Pounds in 3 Days!
    This is one of the coolest blog posts so far! I remember in the summer being up at 3 am and seeing these infomercials for almost the same thing, losing insane amounts of weight by just taking a pill. If...
  • Commented on Does my physical attractiveness get me a job??
    Great blog post! I feel that this topic is still very important today, however for smaller companies. I say this because large corporations such as Best Buy or Target have an HR team and interviews are done in teams. Doing...
  • Commented on Grandma has an eating disorder?
    This is absolutely a great blog post! I always knew that eating disorders affected my peers, but I was not aware that adults ages 40-60 also go through eating disorders. The primary cause of this in my opinion is the...
  • Commented on The Fastest Way of Losing Weight?
    This is a great blog post that everyone should read! Mostly everyone knows what Bulimia is, but the reality is that when one of our closest friends is going through a tough time, we seldom know it. I think that...
  • Commented on Is Chocolate a Sign of True Love?
    Great blog post! I never thought about chocolate as being the cause of "true love". I do agree with you to some extent that the American popular culture focuses a lot on symbols of love and not the science behind...
  • Posted Lie detectors don't work.....What will? to Sections 24 and 25 SP12 PSY 1001
    Sadly it's true. Many believe that lie detectors are flawless; however research shows that polygraphs are only accurate 70% of the time. Through social media and TV shows I thought I knew the basics to lie detection, but after reading...
  • Commented on Is Your Brain Shrinking?
    This is a very interesting post. I especially found the image to be quite shocking. I did not know that the brain could disintegrate to such an extent. In fact my friends grandma had Alzhimer's disease and I saw the...
  • Commented on The Importance of Getting Some Zzzzz's
    I am so glad someone posted about this! I agree and disagree with you. I agree that scientists do need to take more serious action in regards to sleep and the research of it. I also agree with the video...
  • Posted Vegetarianism...Vegetables...NASTY! to Sections 24 and 25 SP12 PSY 1001
    Vegetarianism, a very simple idea yet so hard for people in America to grasp. Vegetarianism first originated in India. The primary reason for vegetarianism in India was to promote Ahimsa. Ahimsa simply means non-violence. Later on, vegetarianism spread across the...
  • Posted KACFJNABISBCFUI....Remember that! to Sections 24 and 25 SP12 PSY 1001
    Looking at the title you may be confused. You may think I have gone mad. Look at the letters in the title for 15 seconds and then try to recall them. How'd you do? Odds are you didn't do too...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from pate0863

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page