Sarah

• Commented on I'd Rather Stand Alone
    I think the productivity of the group is dependent on the environment of the group. If it is an open environment where everyone feels comfortable, I think group work can be really good. If it's an uncomfortable situation, however, the...
  • Commented on Five Year Impressions
    At least in the case of the motorcycles, I think it is definitely fair to say there is more to the accidents than the driver being a bad driver/less responsible. For example, a possibility is the media focuses more on...
  • Commented on Are you an outlier?
    I have thought after every test that if I had only studied more, I would have gotten an A because it was always the SUPER specifics that tripped me up (meaning I understood the concept but when applying it, there...
  • Commented on The Lemonade Diet: Aiding Anorexia?
    I bet a dietician in the 40's had expertise on the subject, but only for the time. Compared to today's dieticians, his expertise would most likely be far less. The real question is: who was this dietician? where did he/she...
  • Commented on Is Conformity Always Bad?
    The counterargument to that is without unique people, how would 3M come up with new products? If they are consistently conforming, would they ever think outside the box? I'm not so sure. Conformity is, of course, very important to productivity...
  • Commented on One Psych Thing That I Will Remember 5 Years From Now...
    I don't remember if this was mentioned in that section but did Milgram ever say whether the behavior he observed in his experiment was conditioned by society or part of human nature?...
  • Commented on 5 Years Later
    You know what frustrates me the most? When I see friends screwing up and then their parents go about the situation all wrong. They will buy them things despite their children screwing up, essentially enforcing the bad behavior. They then...
  • Commented on In 5 Years
    For answering questions in class, for me at least, it usually comes down to two things: 1. Do I really know the right answer? Do I want to risk semi-embarrassing myself if it's wrong? 2. (If I DO know the...
  • Posted Speed, Ecstasy tied to teen depression to Analysis of Argument Spring 2012
    The use of amphetamines, such as speed and ecstacy, in teens could lead to longer lasting depression later in life. "Researchers in Canada interviewed 3,880 teenagers from low-income neighborhoods [...]. Compared to their peers who used neither drug, teens who...
  • Commented on Love: It's not just for young whippersnappers
    My first thought to your first sentence was: do I WANT to see elderly people being sexually active? (ha). I wonder how this number compares to the past. Also, what role has Viagra played in the high amount of men...
  • Posted KISS to Psy 1001 Section 04-05 Spring 2012
    My mother loves mantras. One of her favorites is: KISS or Keep It Simple, Stupid. Throughout my life, she has applied KISS to many different situations. For example, she knows I love to plan fun events for friends and family....
  • Posted American unions support possible US Air merger to Analysis of Argument Spring 2012
    Three unions - the Allied Pilots Association, the Association of Professional Flight Attendants and the Transport Workers Union - have agreed to support a potential merger with US Airways Group. This support is especially prevalent because the three unions represent...
  • Posted Success in Ghana for Millennium Challenge Corporation to Analysis of Argument Spring 2012
    The U.S. government's Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC) funded the construction of a stretch of highway in Ghana. By people in Ghana and the US alike, it is seen as an act of goodwill, as well as an excellent use of...
  • Posted Voter ID debate to Analysis of Argument Spring 2012
    My decision for the debate winner was extremely difficult; both teams presented excellent arguments. I choose the con-voter ID amendment team, however, because I believe a couple of their points really hit home. 1. One of their strongest points was...
  • Posted Ready for My Video Chat Close-Up to Analysis of Argument Spring 2012
    FOR MONDAY 4/23 A $10,000 cosmetic surgery can make someone look better while using Skype or other video chat services. The procedure is called the FaceTime Face-Lift and focuses on sagging necks. According to Dr. Robert Sigal, the camera is...
  • Posted How Exercise Could Lead to a Better Brain to Analysis of Argument Spring 2012
    Scientists have found a clear relationship between brainpower and exercise. "Using sophisticated technologies to examine the workings of individual neurons -- and the makeup of brain matter itself -- scientists in just the past few months have discovered that exercise...
  • Commented on Listen to Music; Create a Genius
    I'm assuming the researchers in the Mozart compared to other composers study believed Mozart's music was far superior and so had "special powers" (heh heh). My question is how did the researchers' of the study of Mozart compared to other...
  • Posted Nine suspected illegal immigrants killed in Texas crash to Analysis of Argument Spring 2012
    A van carrying 19 people, all suspected of being illegal immigrants, recently crashed in southern Texas. Nine people were killed in the crash, six more were injured, four people fled the scene (two were later caught). Overcrowding of the van...
  • Commented on Stranger Anxiety
    This wasn't clear in your post but did your roommate only exhibit this behavior when strangers entered the room? Once he got to know you, did he stop the behavior? If he didn't stop the behavior, there may be some...
  • Commented on Every-Body is Beautiful
    You mentioned in your post that in Mauritania obesity signifies wealth. Are there similar meanings for a longer neck or bigger lip plate? I know the more extreme of each translates into a more desirable woman, but how is it...
  • Posted 3,000 Dolphins Found Dead on the Coast of Peru to Analysis of Argument Spring 2012
    Over the course of three months, 3,000 dead dolphins have been found on the coast of Peru. Peruvian biologist Carlos Yaipen believes the cause of the dolphins' deaths is a controversial technique for detecting oil beneath the seabed. Yaipen said,...
  • Posted James Murdoch steps down as head of BSkyB to Analysis of Argument Spring 2012
    James Murdoch has stepped down as the chair for British Sky Broadcasting. His decision was logos-based, as he made the fact claim that his presence in the company could make him "'a lightning rod' for attacks on the satellite network...
  • Posted Response to "Killing Us Softly 3" to Analysis of Argument Spring 2012
    Jean Kilbourne presented a very persuasive argument through the third installment of her documentary series, "Killing Us Softly 3." She highlighted the negative impact sexist media advertisements can have on women. My attention was caught through the following statistics: In...
  • Posted Usain Bolt Could Run Even Faster to Analysis of Argument Spring 2012
    A mathematics professor at Cambridge University knows Usain Bolt, the Olympic sprinter who also happens to be the fastest man in the world, could run even faster. According to John Barrow, this faster time could happen without Bolt actually running...
  • Posted Iran says expects nuclear talks on April 13 to Analysis of Argument Spring 2012
    Iran and world powers will meet in Turkey and re-open talks about Iran's possible nuclear development programs. Nations like the United States, Russia, and France want to curb the growth of Iran's uranium enrichment program. The world powers believe it...
  • Posted Health Care Law Hits Supreme Court to Analysis of Argument Spring 2012
    FOR FRIDAY 3/9 The Affordable Care Act hit a glitch after its long-awaited arrival to the Supreme Court. This glitch is the Anti-Injunction Act. Before the Court can decide on the constitutionality of the individual mandate in the Affordable Care...
  • Posted Birth Control Access Boosts Women's Wages, Study Finds to Analysis of Argument Spring 2012
    FOR MONDAY 3/19 A University of Michigan study shows the earlier a woman starts taking birth control, the more likely she is to earn higher wages later in life. These findings are in comparison to the today's situation: a woman...
  • Posted Surgery on Diabetics May Be Better Than Standard Treatment to Analysis of Argument Spring 2012
    FOR WEDNESDAY 3/21 The New England Journal of Medicine published two studies showing evidence that surgery may be more effective at treating Type II diabetes than typical regimens. The studies found: "Those who had surgery to staple the stomach and...
  • Posted The Challenge of Driving with ADHD to Analysis of Argument Spring 2012
    FOR FRIDAY 3/23 Driving is one of the hardest and most dangerous things a teenage will learn how to do. When one factors in attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), the task becomes almost monumental. The New York Times relates the...
  • Commented on Are you an outlier?
    It sounds like this book is the classic of the American dream at work. Work REALLY hard and become successful. I like how this value is still so strong in American society....
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from Sarah