lyons206

• Commented on The Mozart Effect
    I think regardless, some people will continue to do this with their kids. Even if the evidence doesn't exactly support what has been initially reported, some people will still feel that "it can't hurt". Before this class, I had heard...
  • Commented on my own experiences
    I also thought this part of the text was especially interesting. At the same time though, one of the more difficult to conceptualize. I found the studies of Chomsky about linguistics to be interesting, but some of the more abstract...
  • Commented on Misconceptions in Commonly Used Cliches
    This is a very interesting post. I have also noticed myself using these proverbs in conversation, then noticing later, using a rather contradictory one in a different instance. It is like we use them because they are useful to us...
  • Commented on Coping with Stress
    I like this post a lot. I think it is important for people to understand what they are actually in control of in their lives. Everything else, that we seem to no have control over, should not be the things...
  • Commented on Diminishing Memories
    My grandfather has also been suffering from Alzheimer's for years. It is hard to see his memory of things diminish over time, as he doesn't even know his son's(my dad) name at this point. I have noticed that he can...
  • Commented on The Bourne Memory
    Like you said I have always been a big fan of the Bourne movies. It is very intriguing to see a prominent character in the film function with a form of amnesia. I have never known anyone with any type...
  • Commented on Conforming to Society
    I agree that it so interesting to see how people react in situations of authority obedience. Its amazing how much people don't realize how much we conform everyday. From things like stopping at a stoplight, to going to school are...
  • Commented on Before you say "I DO"
    It is always funny when you find out how much the interests of men and women differ, especially when it comes to what they look for from members of the opposite sex. I feel that this chapter and the information...
  • Commented on Sticky Situations: Stress
    Stress is a completely universal issue for not only college students, but really everyone. No matter who you are you will have things in your life that cause you to worry. The people that learn to manage these stressors in...
  • Commented on A Look At Now: 5 Years Later
    I agree that this is one of the most prominent things from this semester that I think I will hold on to atleast 5 years down the road. I think we learned about each side of the argument and I...
  • Commented on 6 Scientific Thinking Principles
    I agree John, nice post. I feel that these principles have been so ingrained in our heads since the beginning of the semester, that we will inevitably make connections later in life to some of them. I have noticed already...
  • Posted Do I Have To...? The Milgram Experiment to Psy 1001 Section 04-05 Spring 2012
    When I think over all the things I have learned this year in Psych 1001, one of the first things that come to mind as something that I will remember down the line is definitely when we learned about the...
  • Commented on How does Divorce Affect Children?
    I like this post because it brings up an interesting reality of today's society which is reflected in the declining success rate in marriages today. I think the popularity in shows such as The Bachelor, and other like shows, is...
  • Commented on Fact or Fiction? The Midlife Crisis
    I like this post because I have thought about this and heard a lot about the concept of a "mid-life" crisis that some people encounter in the middle years of their lives. It's funny because when I read your post,...
  • Posted Guilty? The Truth Behind the Polygraph Test to Psy 1001 Section 04-05 Spring 2012
    Have you ever been scrolling through the channels of your television and can't find anything good on to watch? Well when this happens to me I usually get caught up watching The Maury Show and watching couple after couple...
  • Commented on Coca-Cola's "Happiness Machine"
    When it comes down to it, I think people are hesitant to admit they are influenced by advertising that utilizes the strategy of conditioning. I think this maybe because people don't want to seem gullible and receive criticism from their...
  • Commented on Advertising: The Hidden Psychological Manipulator
    This whole concept of conditioning being a factor of advertising I think makes a lot of sense. The whole point of marketing is to try to appeal to the senses of the consumer and what is a better way to...
  • Posted Blind, Yet Able to See? to Psy 1001 Section 04-05 Spring 2012
    Have you ever wondered if it is possible for "blind" people to see anything? It has to do with the phenomenon of Blindsight, the instance in which blind people that have damaged a specific area of their cortex still have...
  • Commented on How Much Exercise is Too Much Exercise?
    I agree with the fact that it is possible to exercise too much and it can have adverse effects on one's health. I struggle to find that this is anywhere near as big of a problem as obesity in America....
  • Commented on Is Crime Really in the Genes?
    I think this case in particular shows that one's genes are really secondary to one's environment. The father of this family, Dale, is a criminal and had to teach his kids this behavior. Nowhere does it say that the children...
  • Posted Elephant in the Room, Did you see it? to Psy 1001 Section 04-05 Spring 2012
    You would notice if something as absurd as a person in a gorilla suit walking through the middle of the screen while you're watching a movie right? I wouldn't be so sure... Chapter 4 of the book describes the concepts...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from lyons206