bies0040

• Commented on A Problem Solving Society
    Exactly! I mean if you think about what we've already done, we've taken all kinds of plants and made medicines out of them, I mean that alone just astonishes me that we can find some random plant and find out...
  • Posted Find Sense in Nonsense to Psy 1001 Section 04-05 Spring 2012
    I'd have to say that the concept of science and pseudoscience will stay with me all of my life because it has always been an integral part of my thought process and since I am seeking a major in physics,...
  • Commented on Pseudoscience: The Easy Trap of Mankind
    I personally think that the concept of pseudo-science is rather open-ended for me. At one point in time they thought that electricity was some god-magic or that there were dragons that terrorized islands. Now we know that there is, in...
    Exactly, that's why I think that it is crucial for people to hone their creative problem solving skills so that they can see past our natural flaws with solving problems, but still find solutions that most people couldn't think of...
  • Commented on Nature Vs. Nurture
    Careful about the use of the word "prove". Especially in cases such as psychology where there are a million different variables to be considered. Some people may have a genetic predisposition to violence and anger so they get angrier more...
  • Commented on How Much Exercise do we Each Day = A MYSTERY!
    An interesting concept that I usually fall back on is just how great of an exercise sports are. Most people think of exercising as sitting in a weight room benching or something of the sort, but the fact is that...
  • Commented on Facial expressions: the cause and effect of emotions
    I think that it has several factors involved in facial expressions and emotion. Sometimes I've seen friends who will be laughing and then they'll simply laugh harder because they're laughing so much. Also, if you're walking around with a smile...
  • Commented on Another fight between nature and nurture----obesity
    When it comes to people and who they are or will become, it's all about every moment of life, from the genetic base to the actions taken; everything plays a crucial role. Predisposition can account for a lot of things,...
  • Commented on Is a sedentary lifestyle bad for your health?
    I try not to sit too often, I'm usually on my feet running around, or I'm more in a laying position, stiffness is harmful to the body, just like standing in place is because the fact is that gravity is...
  • Commented on How Much Exercise is Too Much Exercise?
    Although it is a very real thing, I don't consider it to be much of an issue in today's society. Like somebody earlier had commented, this makes up a rather small portion of society. Though it should be noted, the...
  • Commented on Stem Cells and the Future of Alzheimer's Disease
    I found it rather interesting how they were talking about the fact that Alzheimer's was not something that merely happened with age, although there is a correlation with it. The body really can last much longer. The human body is...
  • Commented on The Dark Side of Ethics
    This reminds me of my old Science and Ethics class I took back in high school where we got onto the topic of the Nazi experiments that often involved very cruel torture and disfigurement of the body and such. Most...
  • Commented on Stem Cell Research Debates--when does life begin?
    Yes I know that this is a very touchy subject so please, whomever may read this, don't take what I say too much to heart. I believe that stem cell research should be done, but with restrictions, cut it off...
  • Commented on Disney's Incorrect Slogan
    Maybe I'm just an outlier to the fact of dreaming, but the majority of my dreams are rather enjoyable and that's what keeps me in bed because I want to go back to whatever the dream may be, which is...
  • Commented on The Power of Suggestion
    One thing that I'm interested in is to see just how effective hypnosis is at giving improved recall of actual events. I know that a good chunk of the results are recalling fake details, but is there perhaps truths that...
  • Commented on Drinking and driving; how bad is it really?
    I simply don't understand why drinking has such a hold on people. I don't drink and plan to never get any worse on the beer scale than rootbeer. The simple fact is that the alcohol kills and disables the brain...
  • Commented on Who Are You?
    It really is true that it is all in your head, everything that is real and fake, it's all a concept that is formed within your head. Once this realization becomes apparent, it makes things like the matrix or the...
  • Commented on M.C Escher-Illusionary Genius!
    Illusions are so amazing to me, like for instance the little device that has 3 legs from one point of view and 2 from the other, or in cases like this, where things look right, until you realize that it...
  • Commented on Classical Conditioning In Everyday Life
    One of the things that I find the funniest about the classical conditioning is that when it originated the bell was not actually used as a conditioned stimulus. it was a bunch of different things that were used, but not...
  • Commented on Advertising-Tugging On Our Heartstrings
    Maybe this isn't so related to this post, however I find it ridiculous as to some of the things that people advertise with, such as the ad where it says that if you blow cigarette smoke in a girls face...
  • Commented on An Advertisement Likely to Work
    I find that I'm divided on the effectiveness of such an advertisement as with cigarette ads. I find myself really moved by the thought of not being able to be there for my kid because I died from lung cancer...
  • Commented on Self Awareness, or Spot Awareness?
    It really is interesting how people can come up with such abstract experiment ideas. I mean to come up with putting a dot on somebody's head and having them look in a mirror in order to realize the dot was...
  • Commented on What do Detroit and Chrysler have in Common? Eminem.
    This appears to be a very huge tactic of advertisement, especially with sexual appeal it is an extremely big topic that is covered. I have to laugh about it sometimes because the thought of such training seems ridiculous, most of...
  • Commented on And You Think Your Dog Is Smart...
    Dogs are definitely intelligent, I mean they're man's best friend after all, we can relate to them on many levels because they can tell when they need to be there for you in case you're upset or need help. Just...
  • Commented on Linguistic Relativity
    This also reminds me of what we had learned about suggestive wording, like in the example of the car accident in which the person changed their believed estimate of how fast the person was going based upon how the accident...
  • Commented on Forgetting Loved Ones
    Alzheimer's is very much a disease that hits the family very hard. If you were to imagine one day not knowing somebody you've known all of your life or most, somebody who you've grown up with or watched grow and...
  • Commented on Slowly Losing Your Life
    It's scary to think just how frail the human memory can be. We have learned before that false memories can be put into the mind and memories can fade and in cases like these, lost entirely. The brain is a...
  • Commented on Alzheimer's Disease: Mystery Still Remains
    While cures are awaited, all anybody can really do is take care of themselves to the greatest extent possible. The human body is built to last much longer than it does, it's through slow poisoning and deterioration that we eventually...
  • Commented on I Remember It Like It Was Yesterday
    hann0217, I remember learning about the song example you gave. Songs are some of the best methods of triggering certain recollections and memories, that and smell believe it or not, so that is not so much surprising As far as...
  • Commented on Animal Language
    To go into a more atypical example of animal communication, ants are supposed to have an incredibly complex language involving the tracks and sounds they produce. Also, animals do make vocal sounds to communicate, however, like with humans and perhaps...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from bies0040