biwer011

• Commented on Conforming to Society
    Conformity is very interesting to me as well, as I think I have a slightly different take on it than do most people. Personally, I don't think conformity is such a bad thing and I think in certain instances, it...
  • Commented on Study Shows that 62% of us are Killers
    The title of this post was shocking as was the Milgram study, so I guess it's fitting. I think obedience is a tricky subject because you never think you would participate in a study like this until you are presented...
  • Commented on Why he don't want to shake hand with me???
    This was a very interesting post because I consider myself to have a (mild) case of mysophobia...I wouldn't say that it's obsessive nor compulsive because it doesn't inhibit me from doing certain things but I definitely am more preoccupied with...
  • Commented on TWO FACED
    I think you hit it on the head in that being "two-faced" is often a result of emotion. But, with the Stanford Prison Study, I was shocked at the results and I wonder if they included anyone in an actual...
  • Commented on 99% of the Stress, 1% of the Semester
    Obviously college students experience stress almost everyday, but what I found most interesting was your inclusion of life after college because I think it's something a lot of people underestimate. The stress will be different but I agree that going...
  • Commented on Before you say "I DO"
    Very interesting post...I think that the three "criteria" for a relationship (passion, intimacy, and commitment) are important in a relationship. But, I think the Psych textbook was too scientific in its analysis of what men look for in women. For...
  • Commented on Classical Conditioning
    Classical conditioning is one of the few concepts in psychology that I found applicable real-life. I had experienced it multiple times a day (via television commercials) and never knew there was a name for it. Also, the perspective on drug...
  • Commented on I'd Rather Stand Alone
    I have mixed feelings about this topic because typically, I do think that group work is more productive than individual work. Also, you tend to get a more well-rounded final product as there are many perspectives contributing to the same...
  • Commented on Do I Have To...? The Milgram Experiment
    The Milgram Study was shocking to me as well because it takes obedience to the extreme...obviously we're told to respect and listen to authority figures (like teachers, police officers, etc.) but I think to what extent is the major question....
  • Posted Is Conformity Always Bad? to Psy 1001 Section 04-05 Spring 2012
    The concept of psychology that I found most interesting throughout the semester, and the one I will likely remember for years to come, is the controversial issue of conformity. Obviously there are strong arguments for both sides, while watching the...
  • Posted Business Practices to Psy 1001 Section 04-05 Spring 2012
    We've learned about how culture can influence language and understanding, but there is also a distinct difference in how different countries conduct business. One major difference is how companies in different parts of the world make decisions. The Psychology Department...
  • Commented on Is Crime Really in the Genes?
    While I think that a lot can be argued with the nature-nurture debate, and there seems to be some instances that are ambiguous and could be argued on either side, I truly think that crime comes down to exclusively nurture....
  • Commented on Awake in your sleep?
    The first part of your post about controlling our dreams made me think about the movie Inception. Lucid dreams really make me tweak out because there have definitely been instances where something odd or improbable happens so I conclude that...
  • Commented on Is a sedentary lifestyle bad for your health?
    Like the previous comment, I never really stopped to think about how much I sit down during an average day...but I am a little shocked to be honest! While it is for sure cause for concern, I found myself wondering...
  • Commented on Self Awareness, or Spot Awareness?
    The topic of self awareness has always been intriguing to me. It is hard to imagine not being able to recognize yourself, even from such a young age. I agreed with the first hypothesis...until I read the second one. Both...
  • Commented on The Dark Side of Ethics
    This was a very interesting perspective on ethics, and one that is not heard of very often. While I am not saying you are wrong by any means, it poses an interesting question of which is more important - ethics...
  • Commented on Blind, Yet Able to See?
    I always see people around campus, that I assume are blind, navigating their way through crowds of people and narrow sidewalks. I've always wondered how they're doing that, but with the arguments presented in your blog post, I have my...
  • Commented on Advertising at its finest
    I definitely enjoyed this advertisement and had the same interpretation you presented in your blog post. The upbeat and energizing music was just as effective as the visual stimuli of people having fun and doing things they like to do,...
  • Commented on Cigarettes Are Guns?
    I've never thought about cigarettes in terms of comparing them to guns, but looking at the ad above, it becomes very clear. Almost as interesting as the application of classical conditioning to cigarettes and guns, is your inclusion of James...
  • Commented on And You Think Your Dog Is Smart...
    I've seen the intelligence of a dog first hand - my cousin can command his dog to go into the fridge and retrieve a wide variety of beverages (obviously no where near 1,000). I was also very shocked that an...
  • Commented on Drinking and driving; how bad is it really?
    This article was very interesting to read, especially being in college were binge drinking seems to be a frequent occurrence. Obviously you hear all through school that drinking and driving is bad, but I never really stopped to think about...
  • Commented on What do Detroit and Chrysler have in Common? Eminem.
    I've seen this commercial a lot since the Super Bowl, and never thought of it as classical conditioning. But now that you point it out, Chrysler is definitely using Eminem to serve this purpose. Eminem came from nothing and made...
  • Posted How Much Exercise is Too Much Exercise? to Psy 1001 Section 04-05 Spring 2012
    Growing up, physical activity and exercise are stressed a lot; it is a necessary component to ensure a healthy body. And that argument is right...to a certain extent. However, what we don't often hear is that there is such a...
  • Posted The Importance of Extralinguistic Information to Psy 1001 Section 04-05 Spring 2012
    In Chapter 8, Lilienfeld argues that seemingly simple functions, such as speaking and thinking, are more complex than we perceive them to be. Specifically, he argues that the interpretation of language is based on the context in which it used....
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from biwer011